Redesigned & Rebuilt
Codea 2.0 has been redesigned for iOS 7 and rebuilt for 64-bit architectures. Numbers are double precision in your code, meaning more accurate calculations. And with version 2.0, Codea is also 40% smaller in size. It's faster, sleeker and better than ever before.
Music, Sounds & Assets
Codea 2.0 features a revamped unified asset system and brand new music tools. Making it easy to play real music and sound effects in your creations. Not only that, Codea 2.0 ships with three great music and sound packs, composed just for Codea and free for you to use in whatever you create.
Smartest Code Editing
The code editor has been completely rewritten for Codea 2.0. And comes with some stunning new features. Errors show up live, as you type. Smarter autocompletion picks up your local and global variables, including nested types. Everything else is just plain smarter, from indentation to highlighting.
Refactor quickly with the new find & replace sidebar. Pull it up to quickly search your entire project, then replace individual matches. Make a mistake? You can quickly revert individual replacements to undo errors.
The new Location library lets you make use of the GPS inside your iPad. Get your latitude, longitude, altitude and more with a dead-simple API designed specifically for Codea.
All The Small Things
Codea 2.0 is packed with many more features. Including a great new overlay display mode, pasteboard API, improved Shader Lab, remotely downloadable assets, enhanced render engine. And much, much more.
We love working on Codea. It would mean a lot to us if you could rate Codea on the App Store. This helps other people discover Codea; and we love reading your reviews.
Get Codea 2.0
Codea 2.0 is available as a free update for all existing users. You can download Codea on the App Store.
- Unified Asset System: Sprite packs and shader packs no longer exist. Everything is an asset pack, and packs can contain a mix of assets.
- Downloadable Asset Packs: Open the asset manager or in-code picker to see packs that can be downloaded and added to your library.
- Music: Use the new music() function to play a music track. See the documentation for more details.
- Sound Effects: The sound() function has been updated and can now handle wav and caf data. See the documentation for syntax.
- Three specially commissioned sound and music packs to use in your games. You may use these in commercial games made with Codea.
- Assets can be moved around using the "Add To" feature
- New iOS 7 visual design
- Built for 64-bit hardware
- Double precision number support in Lua
- Completely rewritten Code Editor
- Vastly improved intelligent autocomplete picks up all your variables, locals and includes nested types
- In-line errors show up live as you code
- Smart indentation and scope completion
- Many more special keys, including smart comment / uncomment
- Support for multi-line comments
- Re-Indent editor action can automatically layout your code
- Brand new Find / Replace sidebar for project-wide search and replace
- Location API to access device GPS
- Pasteboard API to access device pasteboard for images and text
- OVERLAY display mode lets you use the sidebar with fullscreen projects
- Caret selection circle for quick text selections
- Bluetooth keyboard shortcut key support (see Getting Started section for details)
- Color related functions show a live swatch preview
- Block-indent and Back-indent
- Dark keyboard for dark editor theme
- All networking code completely rewritten and improved
- 10 new project browser art images
- Z-level is preserved when rendering into setContext
- Shader compile errors now print as warnings to the output pane
- Shader Lab supports arrays in the bindings editor
- Bindings which can not be evaluated print an error on the shader lab preview
- Projects can be sorted by recently opened or by name (defaults to recent)
- Air Code will use light or dark theme depending on your editor setting
- Support for custom project icons by saving an image to "Project:Icon"
- Triple tap escape detection no longer interferes with multi-touch
- When deleting a project you are required to tap through a confirmation prompt
- Codea has lost weight: Codea 2.0 is 23 MB, vs 36 MB for the previous version
- Vec × matrix operations are now supported.
- Improved undo support
- Fix line wrapping issue
- Better handling of large files