Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2D Physic game / sandbox with drawing

2»

Comments

Woo-hoo! =D> (I'm not trolling, I really admire your work @juaxix)

@juaxix - Super cool. Can't wait for it.

@juaxix In the whole section devoted to Metaballs, he used my code, some of my explanation on how they work, and never mentioned my name...

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@SkyTheCoder - that is a bit cheeky, but I suggest you don't worry too much, nobody reads the code anyway, and it is only a small part of a big project.

People on this forum know you did that code, and that's what matters :)

And you will soon write even better code <):)

• edited August 2013 Posts: 226

It was perhaps an unintended omission @-)

• edited August 2013 Posts: 2,820

@SkyTheCoder - If you release your code to the forums, don't expect your name to then be plastered everywhere it's placed. Anything you write is copyrighted, so if you didn't give him permission to use it, you can tell him not to use it, or make an agreement with specified terms, like he must give you credit everywhere. I, personally, don't think it's that big a deal, but it may be to you. Anyways, we all know you wrote that code, so you've got a lot of credit.
    juaxix - Looking forward to the game!

• edited August 2013 Posts: 437

@SkyTheCoder what is your name? I can mention you if it is what you want.

Anyway the code is good but it will need an update , it gets too slow with physics, perhps i am going for a RK2 solver ( http://www.niksula.hut.fi/~hkankaan/Homepages/metaballs.html ), will post it soon in the metaballs shader post.

Thanks everyone :)

I have added the people who helped with this project in special thanks section ;)
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JuanFelipeBelonPerez/20130826/198897/How_to_create_2D_Physics_Games_with_Box2D_Library.php

If I have forgotten someone, please tell :bz

• edited August 2013 Posts: 226

@juaxix, nice article! @SkyTheCoder, nice code!

Nice article @Juaxix! very detailed and lengthy made a good read :) although you made a mistake, its @Luatee not @Luate ;)

@juaxix - One quick suggestion before you release it (unless you've already submitted it), your selector tool in dimension 1 looks awfully like apple's link button. Just to be safe, I'd suggest changing that, but yet again, still looking forward to this.

@Zoyt that will be for the next version hehe, It is waiting for review..., and @Luatee : fixed! ty

@juxix - Woohoo!

The iTunes link is not working for me. Is it up in the US store?

For me neither...

Send me pm's for the promo codes :>

I'm absolutely glued to this its amazing!

Just finished first world. Really great job and really cool. I do have an error. I just started the second world, and it gave me an error saying that on line 98 of tween.lua, the subject must be a table or userdata.
    Thanks!

@Zoyt, is it showing up in the US store now?

@Zoyt fantastic :)
    About the error, there are random bugs, with that info I cant really know where it comes from just because there are a lot of tweeners between levels, and more if you are ending a world and starting another (end level -> last comic -> save data -> button next -> first comic -> start level -> load data ) with all the physics stuff involved too.

@JakAttak I see it in Spain

Has anyone else noticed the illness mode in settings? It brings the crazy win/lose screens seen in the early prototype :)

@JakAttak - I was wondering what that was.
    @juaxix - In the runtime if you look under one of the Codea bundles in the framework folder, you'll see tween.lua. Insert a trace back into that code on the line it give you an error to see where it comes from. Hope that helps!

Stuck on dimension 2 level 9. I see in the video how you do it, but most of the time for me instead of the water rising smoothly it shoots out really powerfully and randomly.

Just one word for this game: fantastic!

@juaxix, congratulations! =D>

On dimension 6 level 6, I can't get a single star... I did it in 7 seconds, only one object, same looking as solution, and still 0 stars...

I finished the game really quickly quickly, other than the last one because it crashes the whole app every time I launch it. Also, sometime when I transition to the next level, the entire app crashes. You might try optimizing your transition library to be more memory friendly (you shouldn't have to, but there are bugs in lua's memory management). You can try tracking by checking memory warnings and using Instruments to find leaks and the cause of the crashes.
    Anyways, AMAZING job.
    Thanks!

@SkyTheCoder use water just above the ball when the level starts ;)

@JakAttak there is a bonus level there but I'm developing it :-))

@Zoyt : what device and iOS are you using?

thanks all :)

Good point. iOS 7. I should've mentioned that. But that shouldn't make the last level crash the app.

• edited August 2013 Posts: 1,976

I crashed after beating dimension 6 level 10. iOS 6.1.3. Not a Codea crash, it exited to the home screen.

Edit: Beat it again, another crash.

Same here. It won't let me play level 11 or show that I've beat 10

Side note: This game is way too short. I'm literally on the second-to-last level in under 24 hours, and I would be done by now if it wasn't crashing.

You should have put this on TestFlight to work out all the bugs before putting it on the App Store. :P

I agree that it is short, but you can always add more, and if you aren't very good, it has great replay value because you want three stars on everything

Hey, I see that bug, it is a sprite bug introduced in the latest version of Codea when the function can't find the file

#12 0x000b23cb in -[SpriteManager spriteFileFromString:] at Codea/Runtime/Runtime/Data/SpriteManager.m:356

I have 3 games in TestFlight and it is too slow.

I'll fix it and resubmit the game, no drama :]

Thanks for the comment Jak

This is the painting tool:

recorded from the game.

Version 1.1 is waiting for review while this is the version 1.2 with the Collaborative tool, I have some problems i'm handling in this post:
    http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/3529/

Wow! Looks really cool

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

The tool is great! I wonder how you can make a collaborative game based on drawing? Usually the game principle is competition, or cooperation against a Boss. That cant fit with free drawing.... :-?

• edited September 2013 Posts: 437

That's a good question @Jmv38 , I was thinking about the actual game, first I thought in a topic, the game suggest a word and the first user must draw something related to that, then ,the next word of the story is given to the next participant, and in the end, with the finished draw you have to figer out what is the complete phrase, then I started doing this but it resulted that infinite drawing and sharing feels like more entertain that all those stories stuff ;)
    I'm adding colors and the CAMERA as background to draw over it, people would be able to share photos and draw things XD

This is the example using the CAMERA as a texture of the mesh. You can draw over it, share, use it in the collaborative painting, turn based mode...etc

Sweet! Nice job!

The past week there was 40 sells @Jmv38

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Thanks

Wow, that's certainly not what you deserve for this piece of art.