Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two questions

edited October 2012 in Questions Posts: 3

Hi there,
I am new to codea, and I would like to ask two questions.

1. How can I make a wait() or sleep() function, like as delaying?
  2. Why does when I make an interactive draw thingy, does it flash?
    Here is the code for that:

So, what happens is, when I drag on the screen, it makes squares or circles, but they flash, or appear to follow eachother, however, when I record this, they don't flash or follow each other, and are much more stable and smooth.

And also, relating to two, how can I make it where I draw, and as I draw, the shapes leave no gaps?

Comments

1. Nothing like this yet.
    2. Put a background(0, 0, 0) in the beginning of your draw function, this clears the screen every frame.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@YaYa

Your code doesn't show so I can't comment on it. Here is a simple program of a circle following your finger as you drag it on the screen. As for a wait() or sleep() function, what you would use it for would determine how it's written. Normally you really don't need one.

function setup()     displayMode(FULLSCREEN) end function draw()     background(40, 40, 50)     ellipse(CurrentTouch.x,CurrentTouch.y,100,100)     end
  • Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited October 2012 Posts: 3,297

ha ha you fired faster than me Jordan! Yaya you cannot do a sleep, but you can start an action after the given time is elapsed, it is about the same, but a bit more complex to implement. The following code is an example i just wrote for you (and works[edit: just changed the draw, there was a bug i hadn't noticed, cause it was workinf apparently fine):

--# Main -- sleep-wait function setup() sleep = Sleep() -- create a sleep object to manage your wait sleep:doAfter(2,Hello) end function Hello() print("Hello") sleep:doAfter(2,Hello) -- to start again (not necessary) end -- This function gets called once every frame function draw() sleep:draw() end --# Sleep Sleep = class() function Sleep:init() end function Sleep:doAfter(t,callback) self.callback = callback -- saves the callback self.t0 = ElapsedTime + t -- will save time to run self.active = true -- to run only once end function Sleep:draw()     if self.active then     if ElapsedTime>self.t0 then          self.active = false    -- to run only once         self.callback()  -- do the action     end     end end

Details: i create a special Sleep class to manage the sleep object, because it will memorize the necessary data, via the self.whatever = something statements. Then i have to create a sleep object in setup. Then the function i want to start has to de defined: here it is Hello(). Then i can set the wait action: sleep:doAfter to run Hello() after 2s. Last thing: in the draw() i call sleep:draw() which doesn't draw in this case but checks if it's time to fire. Look carefully at the syntax for '.' ':' and '()' it is a bit tricky...

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@YaYa

Here is my above program modified to draw the circle at random x,y locations. The program will wait if you tap the screen and resume when you tap it again. As I said earlier, depending on how you want to wait or sleep will depend on what you're doing and how you want to do it.

function setup()     displayMode(FULLSCREEN)     wait=false end function draw()     background(40, 40, 50)     if wait==false then -- change x,y locations only if not waiting         x=math.random(WIDTH)         y=math.random(HEIGHT)     end     ellipse(x,y,100,100)    -- always draw circle at last x,y location end function touched(t)     if t.state==BEGAN then         wait=not wait    -- toggle wait true or false     end end
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3

Sorry, I forgot to add the code.
    Let me rephrase.
    I want this code to stop making flashing shapes.

iparameter("Shape",0, 1,1)
    iparameter("Size",1,5,1)

shapes = {
    [1] = "Square",
    [2] = "Circle"
    }

function TranslateShape(val)
        for i,v in pairs(shapes) do
            if i == val then
                return v
            end
        end 
    end

function draw()
        if string.sub(tostring(CurrentTouch.state),1,1) == 0 or CurrentTouch.state == 1 then
            if TranslateShape(Shape) == "Square" then
                rect(CurrentTouch.x,CurrentTouch.y,Size*10,Size*10)
            else
                ellipse(CurrentTouch.x,CurrentTouch.y,Size*10,Size*10)
            end
        end 
    end

Fail, I'm new to this forum, what's the bbcode?

• edited October 2012 Posts: 371

.@YaYa, That's what we are doing, and if you post code please format it correctly. If you want to post code, put three tilde characters (~) at the beginning and end of your code.

iparameter("Shape",0, 1,1) 
    iparameter("Size",1,5,1)
    Size10 = 10
    shapes = { [1] = "Square", [2] = "Circle" }
    --backingMode(RETAINED) -- Uncomment this and delete the background(0, 0, 0, 0) in draw to see a different effect
    background(0, 0, 0, 255)
    function TranslateShape(val) 
        for i,v in pairs(shapes) do 
            if i == val then 
                return v 
            end 
        end
    end

function draw()
        background(0, 0, 0, 255)
        if string.sub(tostring(CurrentTouch.state),1,1) == 0 or CurrentTouch.state == 1 then 
            if TranslateShape(Shape) == "Square" then 
                rect(CurrentTouch.x,CurrentTouch.y,Size10,Size10) 
            else 
                ellipse(CurrentTouch.x,CurrentTouch.y,Size10,Size10) 
            end 
        end 
    end

(I cleaned up the formatting in the original code post and deleted the second. Hope that's okay.)