Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Looking" at a 3D model

edited January 2013 in General Posts: 16

Hey All,

I am working on some 3D stuff for a visualization class. I am hitting a slight road block, however, when it comes to "looking" at the 3D model I have made. I've tried a couple of things with matrix transforms but to no avail. Can any of you give some advice on how to get my model on the screen?

Tagged:

Comments

Hi @blmacbeth

If you look at the source of the 3D Lab example that comes with Codea, you'll notice the following:

perpective(fov) and camera(eyeX, eyeY, eyeZ, lookAtX, lookAtY, lookAtZ, upX, upY, upZ).

fov = Field of View, a "standard" value is 60

eyeXYZ is the eye vector (wherever you want your camera to be)

lookAtXYZ where it looks at (so 0, 0, 0 is you're looking at the center)

and upXYZ the up vector (usually Y or Z up, so 0, 1, 0 or 0, 0, 1)

That's basically all you need :)

Cheers

• edited January 2013 Posts: 8

I'd just like to add that you'll also want to use either parameter or iparameter sliders for the fov.
    also

translate(x,y,z)
    rotate(Angle,0,1,0)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Here's a small example that might help.

function setup()     iparameter("R",-360,360, 60)     parameter("x",0,1,.5)     parameter("y",0,1,.5)     parameter("z",0,1,.5)     iparameter("size", 1, 50, 20) end function draw()     background(0, 0, 0, 255)     perspective(50,WIDTH/HEIGHT)     camera(-200,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0)     rotate(R,x,y,z)     fill(255, 0, 0, 255)     cube(0,0,0,size,size,size) end function cube(x,y,z,w,h,d)     local cube = mesh()     v = {          vec3(x-w,y-h,z+d),vec3(x-w,y+h,z+d),vec3(x+w,y-h,z+d),vec3(x+w,y+h,z+d),         vec3(x-w,y-h,z-d),vec3(x-w,y+h,z-d),vec3(x+w,y-h,z-d),vec3(x+w,y+h,z-d)        }          local faces = {         v[1],v[2],v[3],v[2],v[3],v[4],         v[2],v[4],v[6],v[4],v[6],v[8],         v[1],v[2],v[5],v[2],v[5],v[6],         v[3],v[4],v[7],v[4],v[7],v[8],         v[1],v[3],v[5],v[3],v[5],v[7],         v[5],v[6],v[7],v[6],v[7],v[8]     }     local c = { color(255, 0, 0, 255), color(0, 255, 0, 255), color(255, 243, 0, 255),         color(0, 0, 255, 255), color(255, 255, 255, 255), color(255, 0, 189, 255)}     local colors = {}     for i = 1, 6 do         for j = 1, 6 do         table.insert(colors, c[i])         end     end     cube.vertices = faces     cube.colors = colors     cube:draw() end
  • Alrighty. I have proven that I can view something in 3D. However, I cannot make a 3D object. Here is my code to make a 3D graphed for a visualization program I am working on. What am I doing wrong? The vectors in the main class are my tests and what not. That mesh is drawn in the graphed classes draw function as I was too lazy to copy and paste the matrices to the main (it also felt redundant).

-- 3D Grapher -- Use this function to perform your initial setup function setup() print("Hello World!") iparameter("R",-360,360, 60) parameter("x",0,1,.5) parameter("y",0,1,.5) parameter("z",0,1,.5) parameter("cam",-300,0,-200) iparameter("size", 1, 50, 20) graph = Grapher3D(myFunction) ms = mesh() ms.vertices = {vec3(0,0,myFunction(0,0)), vec3(1,0,myFunction(1,0)), vec3(1,1,myFunction(1,1)), vec3(0,0,myFunction(0,0)), vec3(1,1,myFunction(1,1)), vec3(0,1,myFunction(0,1)), vec3(0,0,myFunction(0,0)), vec3(-1,0,myFunction(-1,0)), vec3(-1,-1,myFunction(-1,-1)), vec3(0,0,myFunction(0,0)), vec3(-1,-1,myFunction(-1,-1)), vec3(0,-1,myFunction(0,-1))} ms:setColors(127,127,127,255) end function myFunction(x,y) return x*x-y*y end -- This function gets called once every frame function draw() -- This sets a dark background color background(40, 40, 50) -- This sets the line thickness strokeWidth(5) -- Do your drawing here graph:draw() end

Grapher3D class

Grapher3D = class() function Grapher3D:init(f) -- you can accept and set parameters here self.min_x = -10 self.max_x = 10 self.min_y = -10 self.max_y = 10 self.m = mesh() print(f(2,3)) for x = self.min_x, self.max_x do for y = self.min_y, self.max_y do -- Box around the point going from current point to the next -- First Triangle vecs = {vec3(x, y, f(x, y)), -- current point vec3(x+1,y, f(x+1,y)), -- next x coord vec3(x+1,y+1,f(x+1,y+1)),-- next point -- Second Triangle vec3(x, y, f(x, y)), -- current point vec3(x+1,y+1,f(x+1,y+1)),-- next point vec3(x, y+1,f(x, y+1))}-- next y coord for i = 1, #vecs do table.insert(self.m.vertices, vecs[i]) end end end self.m:setColors(127,127,127,255) end function Grapher3D:draw() -- Codea does not automatically call this method pushMatrix() perspective(50,WIDTH/HEIGHT) camera(cam,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0) rotate(R,x,y,z) scale(size) self.m:draw() ms:draw() popMatrix() end function Grapher3D:touched(touch) -- Codea does not automatically call this method end
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 16

I finally fixed the code and it works great! I added some stuff to control how it breaks up the graph, etc. you'll see.

Grapher3D = class()

function Grapher3D:init(f)
        -- you can accept and set parameters here
        self.f = f
        self.min_x = -10
        self.max_x = 10
        self.min_y = -10
        self.max_y = 10
        self.m = mesh()
        self.m.vertices = {}
        self:makeGraph()
    end