Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

io.write i this version(1.5)?

edited February 2013 in Questions Posts: 5

Can we use the io functions in version 1.5?

I only ask because prior to the update for this version we could not. If not then when we are able to will we be able to have it write code right into a new specified tab (using the io.write function)?

Tagged:

Comments

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited February 2013 Posts: 3,297

1/ you can use io.* library.
    2/ there are specific function in this version to write into a tab:

-- Create a tab named "Test" -- In the current project saveProjectTab("Test", "-- This is a test!")

Hi @jmv38,

I'm sure someone's already demonstrated this by either putting errors or watched variable values into an added tab. Very recent since introduction of 1.5.

Bri_G

:-)

I also used !ruilov's GitHub code to pull down entire projects into Codea; this was before the saveProjectTab() functiron existed, and it worked perfectly.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 5

Can you guys show me where the io.write functions are documented in Codea?

I've tried to search them out in the in app reference, no results. Is there any reason to believe that they have been enabled prior to now?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Can someone provide an example of io.read and io.write for the iPad. I can't seem to get them to work. I have no problem with a couple of other apps that allow the io functions.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

My current understanding is

--# Main -- test io -- Use this function to perform your initial setup function setup() print("--------- test 1 ---------------") -- this works local file = os.getenv("HOME").."/Documents/my.txt" local txt = "This is\nsome sample text\nfor Lua." print(file) writeTest(file,txt) -- comment this line and restart to check the file is there readTest(file) print("--------- test 2 ---------------") -- this SEEMS to work, because read works, but the file is actually not writen on disk -- if the program is run again with the write commented, then nothing reads. -- so you cam write in root folder, but not subfolders file = os.getenv("HOME").."/Documents/test_io_simple.codea/my.txt" writeTest(file,txt) -- comment this line and restart to check the file is there readTest(file) -- binary test print("--------- test 2 ---------------") print("--- binary read test ----") print("--- from text file :") test = readBinary(file) print(table.concat(test,"-")) end function writeTest(file,txt) print("------------------------ ") print("write in "..file) io.output(io.open(file,"w")) io.write(txt) io.close() print("---- write done ----") end function readTest(file) print("------------------------ ") print("read from "..file) io.input(io.open(file,"r")) local li for i in io.lines() do print(i) end -- no close needed: done by io.lines() print("---- read done ----") end -- found on web function readBinary(file) local hBinaryFile = io.open(file, "rb"); local sBinaryContent = ""; if(hBinaryFile)then while(true)do local block = hBinaryFile:read(512); -- Read only 512 bytes per iteration if(not block)then break;end sBinaryContent = sBinaryContent..block break end hBinaryFile:close(); end local t = {} for i=1,sBinaryContent:len() do t[i] = sBinaryContent:byte(i) end return t end function writeBinary(file,sBinaryContent) -- Now lets output it again. local hBinaryOutput = io.open(file, "wb"); if(hBinaryOutput)then hBinaryOutput:write(sBinaryContent); --You could do it in parts, but oh. hBinaryOutput:close(); end end -- This function gets called once every frame function draw() -- This sets a dark background color background(40, 40, 50) -- This sets the line thickness strokeWidth(5) -- Do your drawing here end
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited February 2013 Posts: 8,492

Thanks @Jmv38 for the example. That explaines a lot and things work OK. I was using the io.read, open, and write commands like you have, but I was messing up os.getenv(). Is there a directory function or any way to look in Documents to see what files are there.

Edit: @Jmv38 I changed the line "print(table.concat(test,"-")" to "print(table.concat(test," "))" in -- binary test and "t[i] = sBinaryContent:byte(i)" to "t[i]=string.format("%02x",sBinaryContent:byte(i))" in function readBinary(file) so that it prints out the actual 2 byte hex values.