Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Menu

edited April 2013 in General Posts: 1

I am designing an app that I plan to publish. I have the basics done, but need to make a menu screen or a tap to start.

Tagged:

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Here is something I posted long ago. This might give you some ideas.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN) supportedOrientations(PORTRAIT)        -- set for portrait mode function setup()     func=menu end function draw()     func() end function menu()     background(0,0,200)            w=WIDTH/2            -- set width value     eh=HEIGHT-400        -- set height of different options     nh=HEIGHT-600        -- eh easy, nh normal, hh hard     hh=HEIGHT-800           fontSize(48)            -- set font size     fill(255,0,0)            -- set font color          menuTitle1="Main Menu"            -- main title     menuTitle2="Select Option"         text(menuTitle1,w,HEIGHT-100)     -- display titles      text(menuTitle2,w,HEIGHT-200)             fill(0,255,0)           -- set easy values          t1="Easy"     text(t1,w,eh)     w1,h1=textSize(t1)     -- width and height of easy text            t2="Normal"            -- set normal values     text(t2,w,nh)     w2,h2=textSize(t2)      -- width and height of normal text          t3="Hard"                -- set hard values     text(t3,w,hh)       w3,h3=textSize(t3)      -- width and height of hard text   end function easy()     background(40,40,50)     text("EASY screen",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2)     text("tap screen for menu",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-200) end function normal()     background(40,40,50)     text("NORMAL screen",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2)     text("tap screen for menu",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-200) end function hard()     background(40,40,50)     text("HARD screen",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2)     text("tap screen for menu",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-200) end function touched(t)     if t.state==BEGAN then         if func ~= menu then             func=menu             return         end         if func==menu then             if t.x>w-w1/2 and t.x<w+w1/2 and t.y>eh-h1/2 and t.y<eh+h1/2 then                 func=easy             end             if t.x>w-w2/2 and t.x<w+w2/2 and t.y>nh-h2/2 and t.y<nh+h2/2 then                 func=normal             end             if t.x>w-w3/2 and t.x<w+w3/2 and t.y>hh-h3/2 and t.y<hh+h3/2 then                 func=hard             end          end     end   end

Personally, I would just have the app start a screen that has the text "Game Name" and set it so that when you tap it "playing = true" for example, and then simply have the game execute as it does now only if playing = true.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

displayMode(FULLSCREEN) function setup()     playing=false end function draw()     background(40, 40, 50)         if not playing then         menu()     else         playGame()     end end function menu()     background(3, 174, 253, 255)     fontSize(40)     text("Your Game Name Here",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2)     fontSize(25)     text("tap to start",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-100) end function playGame()     background(255, 255, 255, 255)     fontSize(40)     text("Playing game",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2) end function touched(t)     if not playing then         if t.state==BEGAN then             playing=true         end     end end
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 666

Design a state machine for this, keep main() lean.

This is more code than I usually want in main() but it's a quick sample. I usually pack all this stuff into a global class.

Changing the GAMESTATE variable will immediately change the state of the app to whatever screen you want it to go to, all defined in the GAMESTATES table.

Note that this change is IMMEDIATE, so if you didn't set up some values in the destination screen, you're likely to get frustrated quickly. That's why I have a call to ScreenSplash:init() BEFORE I change the GAMESTATE variable.

Also, the screens that you redirect to WILL get the draw() and touched() calls, unlike the comments that Codea generates when you create a new class :)

--
    -- Main.lua
    -- 
    -- Sample of Cofender's main()
    function setup()

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)
         -- define consts
        GAMESTATE_MENU = 1
        GAMESTATE_PLAYING = 2
        GAMESTATE_SHIPEXPLODE = 3
        GAMESTATE_LEVELCOMPLETE=5
        GAMESTATE_ENDED = 4
        GAMESTATE_SPLASH =6
        GAMESTATE_OPTIONS =7
        GAMESTATE_PAUSED = 8

GAMESTATES = { ScreenTitle, ScreenGame, ScreenShipExplode, ScreenEnd, 
        ScreenLevelComplete, ScreenSplash, ScreenOptions , ScreenPaused }

ScreenSplash:init()

GAMESTATE = GAMESTATE_SPLASH 

end

-- This function gets called once every frame
    function draw()
        -- This sets a dark background color 
        background(0, 0, 0, 255) 

--state machine
        GAMESTATES[GAMESTATE]:draw()
    end

function touched(touch)
        --state machine
        GAMESTATES[GAMESTATE]:touched(touch)      
    end

--to send keys to proper screen for processing
    function keyboard(key)
        GAMESTATES[GAMESTATE]:keyboard(key)      
    end

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@aciolino What do you mean by setting up a public class?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited April 2013 Posts: 1,542

btw brilliant way to run the state machine. I had been doing a whole lot messier. This made cider so much easier for me to use. I was using a ton of if statements in a ui class.

Glad it was helpful.