Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inaccuracy of the physics engine?

2»

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

.@inoddy Heres your butterfly effect. I draw the initial path and keep it for the first loop, then I overlay the loops after that without saving them to show the effect of increasing the initial speed (x axis) of the pendulum. The paths are similar starting at 1 until it gets to the 470’s which is where I start this example. This shows how small changes have small effects until it reaches a critical point, then it has a major change. I draw each loop for 10 seconds then add 2 to the speed and draw the next loop.

supportedOrientations(PORTRAIT) displayMode(FULLSCREEN) function setup()     speed=470 -- starting speed     tab1={}     tab2={}     loop=1     c1 = physics.body(CIRCLE,0)     c1.x = 400     c1.y = 900     c1.restitution = 1     c1.type = STATIC     setup2() end function setup2()     et=ElapsedTime     if c2 ~= nil then         loop=2         tab2={}         c2:destroy()         c3:destroy()         speed=speed+2 -- speed increase each loop     end     c2 = physics.body(CIRCLE,25)     c2.x = 400     c2.y = 600     c2.restitution = 1            c3 = physics.body(CIRCLE, 25)     c3.x = 400     c3.y = 800     c3.linearVelocity=vec2(speed,0)     c3.restitution = 1            joint1 = physics.joint(REVOLUTE,c1,c2,c1.position)     joint2 = physics.joint(REVOLUTE, c2, c3,vec2(c2.x,c2.y))    end function draw()     background(40, 40, 50)     fill(255)     text("Speed".."  "..speed,400,920)     if ElapsedTime-et>10 then -- draw loop for 10 seconds         setup2()     end          noFill()          stroke(255)     strokeWidth(2)     line(c1.x,c1.y,c2.x,c2.y)     line(c2.x,c2.y,c3.x,c3.y)      ellipse(c1.x,c1.y,2)             ellipse(c2.x,c2.y,c2.radius*2)          ellipse(c3.x,c3.y,c3.radius*2)           if loop==1 then         table.insert(tab1,vec2(c3.x,c3.y))  -- save initial loop     else         table.insert(tab2,vec2(c3.x,c3.y))   -- save current loop     end     for a,b in pairs(tab1) do -- draw initial loop         stroke(255, 255, 0, 255)         ellipse(b.x,b.y,2)     end     for a,b in pairs(tab2) do -- draw current loop         stroke(255)         ellipse(b.x,b.y,2)     end end

Thanks @dave1707. That's actually quite pretty. I'm going to use that code as my starting point for exploration of the physics engine.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 372

@Dave1707 can you share the code of the 2 bouncing balls where you used to get two results and fixed it and got one result by creating the body twice. I am not able to recreate the same results every time. Thanks!!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

.@Saurabh Here's the code. I keep the x,y values from loop 1 to compare to loops 2,3,4,5, etc. The values (20 of them) are every 5 collisions for 100 collisions. Run this code for several loops to see how the odd loops match loop 1 and the even loops don't. Then uncomment the line in the draw routine that will do a double setup2 to skip the even loops.

supportedOrientations(PORTRAIT_ANY) displayMode(FULLSCREEN) function setup()     font("Courier")     loop=0     tab1={}     tab2={}     restart=true end function setup2()     tab2={}     count=0     loop=loop+1     if b1 then         b1:destroy()         b2:destroy()         e1:destroy()         e2:destroy()         e3:destroy()         e4:destroy()     end          e1=physics.body(EDGE,vec2(0,0),vec2(0,HEIGHT))     e2=physics.body(EDGE,vec2(0,HEIGHT),vec2(WIDTH,HEIGHT))     e3=physics.body(EDGE,vec2(WIDTH,HEIGHT),vec2(WIDTH,0))     e4=physics.body(EDGE,vec2(WIDTH,0),vec2(0,0))          b1=physics.body(CIRCLE,60)     b1.gravityScale=0     b1.restitution=1     b1.linearDamping=0     b1.linearVelocity=vec2(380,700)     b1.x=200     b1.y=600     b1.friction=0     b2=physics.body(CIRCLE,60)     b2.gravityScale=0     b2.restitution=1     b2.linearDamping=0     b2.linearVelocity=vec2(620,450)     b2.x=400     b2.y=200     b2.friction=0 end function draw()     background(40,40,50)     textMode(CORNER)     if restart then         setup2() -- setup for the physics objects         if loop>1 then            --setup2() -- uncomment this line to skip loops         end         restart=false     end     noFill()     strokeWidth(4)     stroke(255)     ellipse(b1.x,b1.y,120)     ellipse(b2.x,b2.y,120)     fill(255)     text("x,y loop 1          x,y loop 2,3,4 etc.",100,1000)     text("loop "..loop,600,1000)     text("Shows the x,y position every 5 collisions for 100 collisions.",100,300)     text("Retains the values for loop 1 to compare to loops 2,3,4, etc.",100,260)     text("The odd loops are the same and the even loops are the same.",100,220)     text("But the odd loops and the even loops don't match each other.",100,180)     text("The odd, even loops start out equal, but then differ.",100,140)     for a,b in pairs(tab1) do         text(b.x.." "..b.y,100,HEIGHT-50-a*20)     end     for a,b in pairs(tab2) do         text(b.x.." "..b.y,300,HEIGHT-50-a*20)     end end function collide(c)     if c.state==BEGAN then         count = count + 1         if count%5 == 0 then             if loop==1 then                 table.insert(tab1,vec2(b1.x,b1.y))             end             if loop>1 then                 table.insert(tab2,vec2(b1.x,b1.y))             end         end         if count==100 then             restart=true         end     end   end
  • JohnJohn Admin Mod

Thanks for the example @dave1707. I'm going to do some testing to try to get to the bottom of the Physics determinism issues. It's interesting how it manifests only on even play throughs.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

.@John It's not the even plays, it's the alternating plays. All of the odd runs have the same values, and all of the even runs have the same values. It's just that the odd/even runs differ from each other. It's like every time the physics engine does a soft restart, some starting value alternates. Like one run starts with 0 and the next starts with 1, then 0, then 1, etc. It would be interesting to see what's really happening.

Thats what I have been seeing a lot @dave1707 it has different attributes applied to the body when the physics engine is run/restarted and they consist of 2 different sets of attributes which alternate but I dont think its the actual attributes of the physics bodies, maybe the way they're applied with set values in the engine which change every restart, from what I've seen anyway

Thanks @Dave1707 useful code.

• edited July 2013 Posts: 372

Okay so I was just wondering if the new restart function will give the same result every time or different result. Anyone has any idea??

I haven't tried double pendulum, but you can probably throw one into my physics sandbox quite easily.

http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/2125/physics-sandbox

Thanks @spacemonkey i'll try it out..

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

When I first posted the program above, the even runs gave the same values and the odd run gave the same values, but the even and odd runs were different from each other. When I run it now, the even and odd runs match each other. I don't know if it was fixed on purpose or fixed by chance in the latest version of Codea, but it seems to work the same now. So I dont think the new restart function will change anything.

Yeah that's weird. Don't know what's wrong with the code I've written it's giving different results every time. I'll check it out again.

@Saurabh I just got out my spline project and got rid of the double reset so it now only creates the bodies once and it seems to be fixed..

Thanks guys got it running finally.