Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the forum get an update?

BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
edited June 2013 in General Posts: 1,542

I noticed +1/-1 on posts, is this new or am I just crazy?

Comments

I'm pretty sure this is new

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited June 2013 Posts: 4,837

@Briarfox I'm just experimenting. If it's not valuable for us then I will remove it.

If you're tinkering with the forum could you look at replacing the forum search with a google site one?

I think these kind of things remove the balance of good posts and bring a new dimension of competition...

Agree with @juaxix, I personally don't want Facebook likes and ratings for posts, makes people want to just achieve the greatest one, despite there being original competition

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Luatee, @juaxix both very good points and I'm not convinced they are beneficial either.

I'll let others share their thoughts before I make a decision on keeping or removing the feature.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

In a small forum like this, where we all know each other, I'm not sure up- or down-voting is useful. I can see its value in large forums where it reduces clutter, but I doubt that enough people will use it to make it relevant.

It would be more helpful to have the QA plugin that a +- plugin.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

I agree — the +/- plugin is gone.

I'm pleased to see that the +/- plugin has gone, before I even got a chance to explain what a bad idea it was!

Now can we have a less lurid colour scheme, please? I'm happy for a change, but this bright sea-green is just a little too bright for my old tastes.

Hmm, that's odd. I sometimes get the lurid scheme and sometimes the old one. Not sure what's going on there.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey still working on it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey it's less lurid — probably as much as I'm able to go before it becomes too dark. The previous colour was highly dependent on your monitor calibration.

@West you now have Google Custom Search from the search box instead of Vanilla search. Let me know how it goes.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 140

@Simeon, I like the new, flat design (it should go nicely with iOS 7). Is it possible, however, to make the background behind code snippets--you know the stuff between the three tildes-- less yellow?

This is somewhat hard on the eyes

Possibly a light parchment beige or a very light turquoise would make the code easier to read.

Thanks for the Google Search!

EDIT: Much better, thanks!

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

+1 'likes' for Ric. Oooops!

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited June 2013 Posts: 3,295

I find the white font on turquoise background a bit agressive for my eyes (it is all fuzzy for me, and i have to concentrate to get the focus. Black font is ok) ...
    But i guess i'll get used to it.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Stars: turquoise start on white is more difficult to notice than previous yellow star.

Everything on this forum now hurts me eyes. I liked the old color scheme...

• edited June 2013 Posts: 68

Imo it is too bright. I often use codea in the dark while my wife sleeps near me X_X

I love the google custom search.

I have to agree with you @SkyThe Coder, that the old theme was better.
    If It was up to me it would be a grey in grey theme on a white background and only occasionally colors eg. The logo

@Simeon, don't listen to these artistic Neanderthals. They know not of what they write. The art world has moved beyond skeuomorphic designs and embraced flat minimalism. It started when Microsoft chose a minimalist UI for Windows 8 to counter Apple's over-the-top, faux-realism design philosophy. Now Apple has adopted the minimalist style as well (for iOS 7). So let's keep Codea Talk artistically relevant (work with me here). The old Codea Talk was soooo last month. We need to think 'unadorned.' Think 'Amish.'

Or you could just... not fix it if it ain't broke. :)

People always hate change. I got Codea and came here for the community and the coding, colour is for designers ;-)

@Ric_Esrey: You know nothing about our artistic background and our eyesight. I have had a couple eye surgeries and ... doesnt matter in this content.

Anyway, I don’t have a definitive right way of approaching it, other than I think the struggle between artistic design and usability design of the forum is a healthy one to have, regardless of the outcome. The perfect solution for me would be an bright and and dark design like the ones for the codea code.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Dado I believe Ric_Esrey was saying that tongue and cheek :) It made me chuckle :) I only care about all the nice folks that are so willing to help out. The community is the people and content. Whatever @simeon wants is fine with me. But again I have a horrible eye when it comes to design and color. I guess thats why my wife needs to step in when I make horrible clothing choices :P

@Simeon - google search is infinitely better, however, when I click a result it opens a new window (not a problem) but without me logged into the forum (annoying). Anyone know of a way round this?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited June 2013 Posts: 7,468

.@Simeon What happened to the "mark all read" link. I have just about every post that shows as not read going back 58 pages. It's going to take a long time if I have to look at every one of them.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

.@Simeon I just tried the Google search. The screen kind of whites out, but nothing happens.

@West That's because the URL in the search is twolivesleft.com and you are logged in to www.twolivesleft.com and the cookies aren't shared.

Simeon could fix this in one of a number of ways ...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I will bring back the Mark All button

@West looking into the new window thing.

@Ric_Esrey will definitely change the code snippet background colour. That's still using the default theme colour because I forgot to change it (only tested with the syntax highlighter).

@Andrew_Stacey thanks for the find. I will add the domain shortly.

@Ric_Esrey I like the color scheme, I'm just saying that after being used to darker things it was hurting my eyes.

@Dado, PMSL at coding in the dark with your missus next to you in bed!

I confess - I do the same. Had to change the Codea colour scheme to white text on black else id get it in the neck... literally.

Less bright tones would be good all round to prevent domestic nocturnal disputes ;-)

I like the idea of a new look. I agree, that green doesn't work. Try a darker one, in my opinion.
    Also, I like the new Google Search feature.
    Thanks!

@SkyTheCoder and @DaDo, my apologies--I was just poking fun. My post was actually a skeuomorphic tirade. None of it was designed to be part of a serious discussion.

The colourour scheme really doesn't concern me. Codea Talk's real value (for me) is the wonderful people and the vast amount of shared programming knowledge.

@Ric_Esrey Sorry, on places like forums it can be hard to tell when someone's being serious or joking.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 140

You're right... I agree. I guess that's why we have all of those emoticons available. :D :| =) :-O

I wish they had support for emoji. I can't ever find the emoticons I want...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Odd, I never noticed that emoji doesn't work. It seems to strip everything after the emoji.

Edit: Tried an emoji plugin, it works, but causes issues with code parsing in pre tags so I had to disable it.

I wish the pinch and zoom would work. The small font is hard to read for my eyes.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@DaDo pinch to zoom works on my iPad and Mac — what device are you using?

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Hello.
    For me the new code section colors (white text on black) is almost unreadable. Really painful for my eyes.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Jmv38 is it too much contrast? Would gray text on black be better?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod
    edited June 2013 Posts: 5,396

@Simeon - readability tests always recommend black text on a pale background. White text on a dark background has very poor readability.

I recommend black text on a pastel background (like this box I'm writing in), with just enough contrast to pick it out from the normal comment text.

I second Ignatz's suggestion.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 68

@Simeon: I use an ipad 1. I try it again when I am back home.

I also find the list of discussions on the main page a little hard to parse. I would like:

• Some distinction between the "sticky" discussions at the top and the rest of them.
    • Some separation between the discussions, something like a line or putting a background to the discussion div so that it doesn't extend into the margin thereof.

Actually, that last one goes for the comments within a discussion as well. I find that my eyes need some signposts to stop them just glazing over.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 688

FWIW (at most $0.02) I actually preferred the old visual theme, I thought it was very stylish and professional looking (just like the actual Codea interface), I know flat design is in vogue and iOS7 will "redefine our visual paradigms and what we expect from our interface in a modern cohesive style" (yes that's me talking bollocks), but please don't adopt this visual style in the app...

Please?

Pretty Please?

Pretty Please with cherries on top?

Regardless of the look & feel, Codea and the forums are amazing and I don't think any attempt at a makeover is going to change that :)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@TechDojo thanks for your comments. Actually I redid the forum design to handle @West's request for Google Search. I had to start from scratch with a blank template (the old theme was kind of a hack). So I decided to do get rid of a lot of the clutter. I based the design on the one I came up with for the reference docs, because I liked it.

To me the old design always felt very messy with unnecessary lines and boxes enclosing elements — I did like the shading on the old header image, though.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited June 2013 Posts: 7,468

.@Simeon In response to @DaDo pinch and zoom, the pinch and zoom works on my iPad 1. The thing that doesn't work is the search function. I key in something to search, press the search icon, the screen turns a foggy white (I can see the forum text but it's real light) but nothing happens after that. If I scroll up/down with the keyboard showing, the foggy white only covers the top half of the forum text area. If I remove the keyboard and scroll up/down, the foggy white then covers the whole scroll area. If I tap the screen, it goes back to the normal forum screen. Also thanks for bringing back the "Mark All Viewed".