Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rearrange a table

edited June 2013 in General Posts: 372

I have a table of vec2s in random order. What I want to do is change it to a table of vec2s in a specific order. All the x values should be in ascending order, and if some x values are same then the y values among those should be in ascending order. I'm not really getting how to do it. Here's what I've tried. You might have to run it twice or thrice cause it gives a correct order sometimes, just by luck.

--# Main function setup() t={} for i=1,10 do t[i]=vec2(math.random(1,9),math.random(1,9)) end print("Original") for k,v in pairs(t) do print(v) end for i=1,#t do for k,v in pairs(t) do if v.x>i then table.remove(t,k) table.insert(t,1,v) end if i==9 then table.remove(t,k) table.insert(t,1,v) end end end --how can i do it? for k,v in pairs(t) do for i=1,#t do if v.x==t[i].x then if k<i then if v.y>t[i].y then table.remove(t,k) table.insert(t,k,v)-- I insert back at k cause now the table has one less value. end end end end end -- print("New") for k,v in pairs(t) do print(v) end end

Comments

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod
    edited June 2013 Posts: 5,396

use sort

t={}
        for i=1,10 do
            t[i]=vec2(math.random(1,9),math.random(1,9))    
        end
        table.sort(t,function(a,b) if a.x<b.x then return true 
                 elseif a.x==b.x and a.y<=b.y then return true end end)
        for i=1,10 do
           print(t[i].x,t[i].y) 
        end

Thanks didn't know of that command.
    Is there any place where ill find all codea commands and functions without knowing about them. Cause in the search function you need to know there exists a function like it to search for it.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

that's a Lua command. Just google for the Lua math, string and table libraries

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Saurabh the "eye" button on the keyboard does contain all of the Codea commands, as well as many of Lua's libraries.

table.sort is documented in the Codea documentation here http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Reference/Lua.html#table.sort — as well as in the in-app reference.

Thanks both of you!

@Simeon Not everything is documented in there, though...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@SkyTheCoder that's correct. I'll need to add more Lua libraries and functions to the documentation.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Saurabh If you want to know all the functions, variables, tables, etc. used in Codea, run this program. When you run it, it will run for about 1 second and then return to the editor. There should be a tab created named "info153" that contains an alphabetical list of names and what they're used for. I don't think this shows 100% of the Codea stuff, but it's close. The name "info153" is for the latest Codea Version 1.5.3 .

local t={} local done=false local readTable function setup()     readTable("",_G,0)    -- read contents of _G     table.sort(t)         -- sort table     local str="--[[\n"..table.concat(t,"\n").."\n--]]\n"     saveProjectTab("info153",str)    -- create tab     done=true end function draw()     background(40,40,50)     if done then    -- tab created         close()     -- return to editor     end end function touched(t)    -- added so function shows in list end function collide(c)    -- added so function shows in list end function readTable(val,tab,depth)     local a,b     depth=depth+1     if depth>3 then    -- don't get in endless table loop         table.insert(t,val..".....table")         return     end     for a,b in pairs(tab) do    -- read contents of table         if type(b)=="table" and b~=tab then             if val=="" then                 readTable(a,b,depth)             else                 readTable(val.."."..a,b,depth)             end         elseif val=="" then             table.insert(t,a.."....."..type(b))         else             table.insert(t,val.."."..a.."....."..type(b))         end     end end

Thanks it worked out @dave1707