Next version suggestions (Current 2.1.1)

edited February 2015 in Suggestions Posts: 285

(Edit - February 22)

Main

• LFS (file system library)
  • Bluetooth keyboard : all keys support (arrows, shift, alt, ...) [in global function keyboard]

Comments

I think codea is the most Advanced Lua Program Builder on iPad since Codify.
    ( All In iPad, 2D Sprite, 3D Shaders Effect, Body, Output Text, AirCode, Tweens )
    It's great but what is missing :

• Play WAV, MP3
    • IO File System, SQL Database
    • GUI like Cider with Menus and Dropdown and Gloss Button ( Psion's Dialog )
    • Textospeech in multilingual because ipad's screen is'nt very large

• Easily import/export source code ( with PC Windows 7 not Apple )

• 1 Folder = 1 project containing icon, spritepack, code source class
      The folder in Documents or Dropbox

Thanks for all releases, It's very great

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

-Io file system: do you know you have io class working. Due to apple restrictions you are however sandboxed to documents folder. And cant list directory content.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

The 2 things that I'm waiting for are listProjects(), and file directory. File io is working just fine and I don't mind being limited to the documents folder because I can sync files between my iPad and PC with Dropbox.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Music +1

Inteli-sence for code within a project and its dependencies so you can see /get suggestions for your global variable names, global functions, static functions and instance members as you type and possibly custom snippets and refactoring options like rename with reference replace and code extraction :)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

We have some great stuff planned for music and sound. I really look forward to showing you.

They've got a new asset manager and sound player. All that's left is a function for when it closes or is paused.

The intellisense bar should be able to get global variables defined by the user and function names, I think it's been mentioned though.

How about using iOS push notifications to notify you when someone comments on your discussion, or a bookmarked discussion

• @Jmv38, for the filesystem, i just want list files in dropbox directory...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak really interesting idea. I'm not sure how feasible it is but it's something I'd like to look into.

@Luatee / @XanDDemoX there are definitely plans to improve the autocompletion.

@Jmv38 @HyroVitalyProtago @hpsoft I am thinking about including lfs, a more advanced file system library for Lua. You can learn more here: http://keplerproject.github.io/luafilesystem/

• edited July 2013 Posts: 1,976

Search & replace +1

How about a function to add a dependency, warn if you if it doesn't exist, and maybe have a way to download the code from the Internet and save it as a project?

And maybe some more versions of the alert() function? Right now it can just display text, and have an OK button, but how about one that can ask a question, and have yes and no buttons? (Returns a boolean?) Or maybe one that can load a table of strings and have a button for each one, and it returns the text that was on the button that was pressed?

Also: Fix multi-line comments graying out the rest of your code on AirCode, please?

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

@Simeon looks like this lfs would do it.

• edited July 2013 Posts: 175

@Simeon Awesome! I was hoping you'd say that :) One more would be an "un-tab/indent" selection button unless there already is one and I've missed it (which is entirely possible, I only found the shader lab when air code was released after the video highlighted that the menu-opening-button looking part of the background was actually a button that opens a menu ;) ).

Edit: and two others :) Browse interface/search and edit code in dependencies without switching project and side-by side tab editing (with two tabs but unfortunately probably wouldn't be practical/usable with anymore than that :( ).

• edited July 2013 Posts: 80

+1 for sound (ogg,mp3,wav), with pause, time seek/jump, and volume control.
    great to hear but the word planned worries me a bit. :)

3D sound, with panning & volume changing with the camera position & angle, with sound at a 3D point (moveable?)?

@SkyTheCoder You could write your own basic 3d sound script with some good sound playback functions

I'm working on one in Craft Studio. It has Lua scripting.

• edited July 2013 Posts: 391

So we already have a button to increase the indent of a code block, how about changing that button to work for both increasing and decreasing indent similar to the cursor movement and the text selection buttons? I'm pretty OCD when it comes to formatting code, and having to backspace out the indentations when I move a block of code outside of an if statement or for loop is a pain in the butt.

@Slashin8r whoops missed that then :)

@XanDDemoX, oh I didn't notice you already suggested that. It's definitely needed, hehe.

BTW, the indent is the upper left button. Just need it to work both ways.

@Slashin8r indeedy that's my suggestion i thought you meant it did that already :)

@Simeon - YES! LFS will be great. I thought no one saw that thread. Thanks!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,542

@Simeon Any chance of a gui? I really like using codea for non games and a gui would be amazing. IMHO It's one of the biggest things Codea is missing. I currently use Cider but I dread updates to cider and/or codea that might change the functionality.

GPS and Compass access. I have a GIS project ready to code up as soon as I can access the GPS and compass.

Have a GUI competition and the best one gets used in codea?

LFS would be fantastic :)

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Luatee works for me!

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but a functionality that lets you download people's uploaded projects from within codea straight in to codea? So codea can create a new project and store the code in tab order allowing for much easier sharing

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,542

@Luatee I believe apple made TLL remove that functionality or at least something similar, it was before my time here. I've tried to remedy this with autogist.

Yeah I've seen your efforts on this, quite easy to use and quite beginner friendly but I'm not in to setting up a GitHub and all that, I would prefer to have it as a little drop space where everyone on the forum can put there projects without having to copy and paste all of it, just an extra option next to the export option when you hold down on a project, that's for upload then use an in app browser to download direct to codea, I'm not seeing how this could be restricted?

• @Luatee : Codea 1.2.7 : Due to a notification from Apple, Codea 1.2.7 removes the project sharing feature. We will work with Apple to try and make it available again in the future so you can share your creations.

• @Simeon, do you think apple can restrict an app made in codea for share project ?

That's it yeah, pretty sure I remember Simeon saying he was trying to get it through but never heard anything after that, I'm sure apple will be a bit lighter on their restrictions now, I mean I don't see what that can conflict with? Open source sharing of projects made in codea is a really good framework for a place for beginners to see different types of coding with lua (as every person has their own personal methods) and to learn from quick grab and go loader that will load it in to a new project. I mean this could be made for jail break iPads as a standalone app but then it requires money to set up a server and such. I don't think many people use jailbreak on this forum

Got a good suggestion that can probably be implemented fairly easily.

Make it so textAlign works with single line text. For example, when I set textAlign(RIGHT) and I have my textMode(CORNER) then when I draw text at x,y the text will be drawn to the left of the coordinates. If textMode(CENTER) then textAlign will be ignored for single line text.

@Slashin8r - Totally agree. Same with textAlign(LEFT).

@Zoyt, oops I totally meant draw to the left of x,y for textAlign(RIGHT) as it currently draws to the right of x,y by default. Edited above so it now actually makes sense, hehe.

@Slashin8r you could use text(txt,x-textSize(txt),y) ;)

@XanDDemoX, yeah that's what i have been using, it's just a pain in the butt to have to do that every time when a single line of textAlign(RIGHT) could automatically take care of it for us. In the menus I am setting up, I have to align a lot of text to the right and it gets quite annoying having to add that extra code for each of them.

@Slashin8r not sure on how your menu works but you could accomplish it in bulk with translate and the length or the longest string :)

Edit: or just the above in a loop for each menu item

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@simeon I would really love a tag or some other way to exclude a tab from being imported as a library. Similar to how main is excluded. I find myself having to cram a bunch of UI code into the main file so it is not included when I import the project as a library.

• edited July 2013 Posts: 3

This is an outstanding app that almost does what I need for my projects.
    For the projects I am working on, I really need the following features:

1. Support for bluetooth LE devices. iOS supports these but Codea does not yet appear to have the tools. These are such things as sensors and custom output device control. As an example of what these could be used for, check out the RFduino project by OpensourceRF. Please, please, please, consider this seriously. This type of project will be flooding the market soon and I cannot find any other easy solution for iOS devices other than Codea.

2. Project sharing - I see that this is already in the works to get it back. I hope you are successful.

3. Project launching from the desktop - This was requested by several people. Please add me to this list. This feature should run the project just as if it were a stand-alone app with all the proper look and feel.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

+1 to shortcut on home screen! I'd really like to be able to access by personal apps that I have no plan of ever distributing via its own icon so I do not have to export and compile in xcode.

Over the past couple of days I've been playing arround with iDraw to make some graphical resources and i noticed it has a "send to app" button which appears to be like an "open with" button. It would be good if Codea was one of the apps the graphics can be opened with to import them as sprites. iDraw can "send to app" in Svg,Pdf,Jpeg and png formats.

Edit: It seems it's like a file association in Windows terms :) so in theory you'd be able to import images strait from your browser too.

It would be nice if codea could record audio of the application along with video. It would make the videos better than ever. And also record the alert messages which aren't recorded currently.

We need an option to encrypt the code to protect the app once exported...this could be done by letting us, like the previous versions of Codea lib, to inject the code as a string to the projectLoad function ....

I know, old-ish, but I'd like open in so I could get something from a different app and easily put it in codea. I'd like a option on the keyboard options ( like syntax highlighting, code search if you didn't get where I was coming from ).

I have one suggestion and I doubt it'll get done as I'm probably the one one who wants it but I'd even pay more to get this one feature!!

Let us EITHER export a project from codea so that on your ipad it has its own seperate app icon! ..or.. export an icon but the icon launches the project from within codea itself.

basically I want external icons for any finished games, I DO NOT mean exported to the app store. NO.. I mean only for my personal use on the device they were coded on! call it ease of use. Sometimes my wife wants to play a simple game I mean and its annoying she has to load codea then the project and run it. a seperate external icon either launching a totally seperate game exe or simply autolaunching codea and loading the project.

NO. I dont have a mac to use the xcode export and I will never buy a mac, so publishing an app is never going to happen for me.

I would pay an IAP of £5-$10 for that feature alone.

• edited May 2014 Posts: 1,976

At first, a seperate app icon for a Codea project sounds impossible...but in case TLL was wondering how, I got an idea. What about that thing that TestFlight does, where it installs a bookmark onto your home screen, and when you press on the icon it opens the TestFlight page in Safari? It's not an app downloaded from the App Store, it's something called a "web clip," I think. What if Codea had its own URL scheme, where it could install a web clip that, when opened, would be picked up by Codea to automatically open and run the project?

I would pay for this feature, too.

• edited May 2014 Posts: 2,042

@SkyTheCoder, yes, a Codea url scheme that takes a project name + web clips would probably do the trick.