Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UI Elements Sprite Pack (Change in plans... Check it out)

edited January 2012 in Code Sharing Posts: 2,820

Hello,
It would be amazing to include an iOS elements sprite pack for the fun of it. I would take it from here. Meanwhile, I'll work on one and upload it when I get a chance.
@Bortels pointed out that apple might reject the app might be rejected if we use apple image as a sprite pack. Therefore, I changed the discussion to general and I'm just going to share sprite packs that include the UI elements of iOS.
Thanks!

Update:
V1 IS OUT! PLEASE TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ALTER THE CONTENTS TOO!

Comments

• edited December 2011 Posts: 2,820

Alright, first, I just did the quick and easy way of getting all the graphics: doing a smart search under the iPhone Simulator graphics. Here are all the graphics I came up with: Download it here.
    PS- After I get the graphics, I'll work on an Automator/AppleScript action that turns folders of images in to a sprite pack. I might even be able to get it on the device.

• beebee

+1 for UI element sprite pack! :)

• BortelsBortels Mod

It might be hard to get by apple as an official part of Codea - they are weird sticklers for certain types of graphical elements in the App store. I know there are apps rejected because their graphics look too similar to the built-in graphic elements - so this may just not be allowed, officially.

But - if we can get the ability to add our own spritepacks (without hacking, which we can do now) - this would be a handy thing indeed.

App Cooker and Blueprint use apple's graphics indirectly... I don't know. I'm working in a sprite pack with the basic UI Elemnt parts that are well named. It also includes basic graphics like pins and dots and other things.

• beebee

Besides, those images will be used by Codea's users, not by Codea itself. So I don't think it would be a problem.

• BortelsBortels Mod

I'm just saying there's a good chance if they're included in Codea, it can cause the app to be rejected. The Codea devs are restricted in how they use apple graphics in general.

But we aren't - so if we can get them in after the fact, that's dandy. Besides - I want to be able to add spritepacks without exercising my mystic hackery.

• edited December 2011 Posts: 2,820

@Bortels- Your point is good. I changed the discussion to general. I looked at the app submission guidelines and I see that you can not submit an app that mimics iOS graphics. @bee also has a good point, but this is not something that I think is an important update. When sprite packs come out, it won't be a matter.
    Feel free to look at my other suggestions here. I would love to hear your suggestions.
    Thanks!

I'm passing this job on to someone jail broken. It's quite a time wasting job. I'll pass what I have when I get a chance. It's annoying how a lot of the graphics can only be decides with iOS.

Ahh... I did a little more research and found a quick look plugin that lets me see iOS crushed graphics found here.
    Life was just made easier. I'm continuing the project.

2/3rds of the way done.

This version will have no buttons and unorganized names. I will still have to work in names, accidental duplicates, buttons, and functions that make it easy to create the UI elements, and a keyboard.

• edited January 2012 Posts: 2,820

WAIT! I'll still to the original iOS graphics, but I'm also going to make some sprite packs from UI Parade.com. Still working on it.
    Update: Eventually. Not very soon.

YIPEE! V1 IS FINALLY OUT! TRY IT HERE! It's pretty lousy right now, so I would really like help. Please help if possible. Thanks!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

That's incredible @Zoyt. So many images!

I don't think we would be allowed to ever include such a pack with Codea, but it looks like a valuable resource for anyone who wants to use iOS style graphical elements.

I'm exploring options for importing sprite packs from the net in versions past 1.3, so stuff like this will be easier to get into Codea.

Wonderful. Thanks! As you probably saw, I don't expect you to include it. But is sure would be cool if you started including things from UI Parade.com for UI elements if you could somehow work something out with them. I'm really looking forward to sprites!

Thats a cool site! Thanks for compiling the goodies.

• BortelsBortels Mod

Hmm. Thinking about it, TLL can't include apple UI elements (Apple will reject it) - but a nice well-done spritepack with the same elements, just not apple graphics, should pass inspection and would be usable by many.

I think you mis understood me @Bortels. This is just for the fun of it. This is not for real apps or for TLL to include, but it would be really cool if they included things from UI Parade.com. Apple would allow that, right?

• BortelsBortels Mod

I suspect TLL would have to work out licensing for the UI Parade stuff (but I suspect they did that for the existing spritepacks as well). I know you're doing this for the fun of it, but having a spritepack with good UI icons fills a real need - so it'd be nice to see TLL do it in a way that makes it so everyone has it and you can write code that depends on it, and know it'll run anywhere. Apple's prohibition is against using Apple's graphics, outside of their official toolkits - so a good UI set like those on the UI Parade should be acceptable...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bortels: the existing sprite packs are completely free to use with attribution. We are going to make a donation to the artist for them. But we probably wouldn't try to negotiate licensing on future packs, it's too complex.

I'd rather add sprite pack creating and sharing in (similar to .codea files, except .spritepack files). Then anyone will be able to make them and share them.

• BortelsBortels Mod

Hmm - I understand, but I still think there's value to having one 'built in' - unless we had a programmatic way to fetch a spritepack from a url automatically, but I think I know where that suggestion will go right now :-)

Sigh - my other question was "well, can a spritepack be included with a project?" - but no project sharing, so boo.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

It's actually not that easy to do an easy-to-use UI sprite pack without the associated code and classes.

For example you can't simply have an image for a button, you need 3 or 9 images, and then code that renders them in a stretchable manner. And code that renders the label on the button, handles the pressed state, and so on.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt I edited this discussion title. You don't need to put unnecessary punctuation in thread titles.

Alright. Sorry about that title. Nose might as well get real UI elements. I don't think it's that hard, is it? Just make them like you do parameters, just floating on the screen. Who knows.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Yeah that might be the best solution, we'll look at it at some point. The only issue is that they would not respond to graphics state like anything else, and would always sit in screen coordinates.

That's onoying. In the mean time, I'll work on either a vector (loke using circles and squares) UI or keep advancing my sprite pack. I think I'll end up doing a vector UI. Atleast until custom sprite packs come.

@Simeon - About the UI elements, this is why I wanted to allow parameters to leave the side bar on my Codea suggestions page. That way, we could have the UI elements we need.
    Thanks@

Just to let you guys know - I'm changing this to basically being iOS build in graphic goodies that you can't access from Codea, not UI elements. I will be making portable UI elements and also vector UI elements. This is just a heads up.

I've gotten a lot of things done. I'm almost done with the iOS goodies (not UI elements any more) renaming them, getting rid of duplicates, and getting rid of stupid unused graphics. The other thing I've done is that I'm almost done with a Codea portable UI. It's basically what I think Codea's full UI would look like if they added it. I'll also include an SVG format (I created it in vector format) and .intaglio file so you guys can mess around with it. This portable UI will basically have almost all the iOS UI elements. I hope you guys will like it.