Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preview of Codea Community - cloud based backup and code sharing

IgnatzIgnatz Mod
edited August 2013 in Code Sharing Posts: 5,396

We (Briarfox, toffer and myself) are excited to announce that we are close to releasing a new web based service called Codea Community (CC) for backup and code sharing in Codea.

Backup

It will allow you to back up projects directly to an internet server, and restore selected versions of that project. You will also be able to share backups with selected people, or the whole world.

Community code sharing

Codea needs a way for users to share projects and code. It did have this, but Apple forced its removal.

CC will allow you to upload any project (in full, or a single tab) to its internet database, marked public (for sharing) or private. All users will need to register, so that CC can verify the owners of private projects.

You can then browse (or search by keyword) and download public code, and we are considering features found in other crowd sourced arrangements, such as lists of “Newest uploads”, “Most popular”, etc.

Preview

CC will add a parameter button to any project that includes it, so you can call CC from there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/49stgx4usays30c/Photo 29-08-13 2 17 21 PM.jpg

Pressing the button shows you a list of all your backed up versions
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9xzmhcsoqpg9b5/Photo 29-08-13 2 17 53 PM.jpg

The icons next to each backup allow you to download, share, run or delete it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vdca053yzckqwr/Photo 29-08-13 2 18 13 PM.jpg

Selecting a version brings up a code listing (split into tabs!)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2g8un90uynwree/Photo 29-08-13 2 18 30 PM.jpg

It can run a selected project, without disturbing the project you currently have loaded. This will be useful when you are browsing other people's code, because it lets you preview what the code does.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugt200hn19ky351/Photo 29-08-13 2 18 47 PM.jpg

How it works

You download the CC project, and run it, to share and download code. The in app web browser provides all of the user interface, to avoid conflicting with normal drawing.

To back up a project, you add it as a dependency, put the version number in your code, and tell CC you want it backed up. It will then be backed up automatically every time you change the version number and run your project.

Current status

CC is still under development, but we have solved most of the technical problems, and we hope to produce a stable and fully functional first version in the next couple of weeks.

Toffer is handling the server (PHP and MySQL), Briarfox the Codea code, and ignatz is looking at content. If you are particularly interested in any of these areas, or if you have suggestions for features, just let us know.

Comments

Wow! This looks fantastic, I'm excited to see the final version! It's a much needed feature, and you guys are bringing it back in a way that is better than the original, IMO. =D>

• beebee

Great! This is much better than pastebin and much simpler than gist. What do you mean by "add it as dependency"? Can you add diff viewer to it?

Please release it! So we can help you test the thing. Count me in! :)

• beebee

Oh, can we access it independently? I mean use it directly from a web browser? So, I don't need to be on Codea if I just want to know what is going on the CC.

• beebee

Does it also support resource backup? Such as sprite/image, music/sound, data, shader, etc. I think this is important as asset manager is coming in the next version of Codea.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod
    edited August 2013 Posts: 5,396

Thanks for your support. At the moment, it is a Codea project that needs to be made a dependency before another project can use it, but it is possible that it could be built right into Codea. We are discussing options with TLL.

It is certainly feasible to provide a separate web interface, but you'll appreciate that we want to take one step at a time. It's taken a lot of work so far, and we want to get the core services up and running, before we look at all the additional options. Resource backup is also an option, yes.

We will certainly want testers, as soon as we have a stable build, and we welcome your comments and suggestions, because this is for everyone, and we want it to be as useful as possible to everyone in our great community.

If you want to help right now, while we are waiting for the first test release, you can do so by finding useful code that we can upload to get CC off to a good start. If you find some, either keep it safe until we're ready, or PM me with a link.

@Ignatz, by "useful code", do you mean utilities, or can it be cool little programs that people have uploaded?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Anything people like us might find useful! Utilities, functions, whole projects, tutorials, whatever. You will be able to upload whatever you want, but I just want to put some stuff there at the beginning so the shelves aren't bare!

Feel free to take any of my code.

... :-O jaw drop :-j @-)
    Wow. This is crazy. Anyways, can't wait to use it.
    Thanks!

• edited August 2013 Posts: 2,042

Edit: PM'd you to avoid cluttering this thread

Sounds like an amazing resource - thank you for all your hard work!

• beebee

@ruilov's pacman and @mark's cider7 should be there. Of course, with their permissions.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Credit to Briarfox and toffer, they've done a great job

Thanks for the code suggestions, I'm making a list.....

Sounds like this could be the next big hit, I hope a lot of people use it so we can build up a database of resources in the public for new comers. I'm getting tired of zipping my documents folder and putting it on Dropbox!

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Liatee - yep, that's the idea!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@bee currently you can add CC as a dependency and it will add the Community button to the project. This allows you to backup and/or use all of CC. You can also run CC by itself and use it as the code browser. We wanted full access to CC from any project with very little code client side. @Ignatz came up with the idea to have "One button to rule them all!" and it works well :)

Glad you guys are liking it! Can't wait to let everyone try it out!

• edited August 2013 Posts: 304

Lol ! I have made the same thing but in a another way. In first, i have made a codea app and not a web app, and in second, i have not use my personal server but github api for all versioning and sharing system. (With this system, that's already compatible with AutoGist)
    The look of my app is different, it was inspired by Zoyt Codea mockup :
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqsywlxsayak0n3/IMG_0587.PNG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/km5d4890sum6wti/IMG_0589.PNG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkk8hxqo3xf5gqy/IMG_0590.PNG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p19ed34l9p3fbmf/IMG_0591.PNG

Now I dont know which one I want! That looks amazing aswell Hyro, I like how you adapted Zoyts codea look aswell, well done

• edited August 2013 Posts: 157

This sounds fantastic!

My question: will this be an open-source solution, so people can host this on their personal servers? I have installed a MAMP stack on my Mac specifically so I could do something like this, but I held off because a little bird suggested I wait a few days.

I absolutely love the idea of community code sharing (I'll be open-sourcing Tanks! when it's done), but anyone doing commercial or corporate coding needs a way to host privately. I could probably help with some sort of private cloud deployment tool, if you're interested.

I do web software development all day, albeit on ASP/MSSQL, and we have a pretty solid system in place for code maintenance and supporting private customer upgrades. I'd be happy to share some of my experience in the matter, along with helping build a way for people to host their own personal CC instance.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@HydroVitalyProtago Yeah we looked at using gists as well but it was limiting for some of the community features that are planned. Great looking app! Always wanted to take this route with AutoGist.

• Thanks @Luatee and @Briarfox. And what features planned do you you think is not compatible with the github system ?

IIRC, Codea had project sharing originally built-in, but Apple nixed it. Might they not do that again to TLL this time?

Well for the time being it is a Codea project, not built in, so apple can't really nixe it . And it's not by TLL

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

That looks great! Any ETA?

• edited September 2013 Posts: 157

@JakAttak it's possible that Apple could ask TLL to nerf Codea even further, basically forcing TLL to eliminate any API that allows for code sharing. In this case, it would be the API's that allow a program to read its own source code or other projects' source code.

I'm just speaking hypothetically, though. I have no idea if Apple would reject an app because of uses third parties are putting it to. if they're going to go that far, they may as well reject web browsers, e-readers, and any app that makes use of on-line content.

I understand they don't want other apps to compete with the app store, but something like Codea is not an alternative app store; it's a programming tool. Since all of the programs must be in source form to be executed, I can't see how this could possibly compete with closed-source apps like Angry Birds. =)

• Great!!! I am gonna use this a lot! But is it possible for the user that uploaded the code to see how many downloads there are?

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

@Jessevanderheide i agree this is a really important feature! I had to code it myself in PHP and this was really painfull...

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Yes Download tracking and "like" tracking will be a part of it. I believe Toffer already has the code in for download tracking.

• @Jmv38 @Briarfox This should be a really good program for everyone!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Thats the plan :)

• =D>

• This is great news for us noobs, it will help us to learn from others and help us at the same time. Can't wait..

• Eagerly awaiting the release of Codea Community. I hope things are progressing well?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

They are progressing very well. We are about to start testing the Community features. And hope to open testing to the public in the next few weeks.

This is too long for me to take its so cool!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Thought I'd post up a cool new feature in the works.

You have the ability to post a link to your project. The user that clicks the link can then view the code in tabs. The project can be copied to allow pasting into codea. "Run Code" can be clicked and will run the project next time CC is ran. Or the user can click "Open" which will open the project next time CC is ran.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited October 2013 Posts: 1,542

deleted

Sorry didn't mean to post!