Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would one go about making artificial intelligent

edited October 2013 in Questions Posts: 577

Hi, I'm trying to make a chat bot, but I'm not sure how I would make the program interpret the users words, does anyone know how to make it?

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Prynok You could start by putting the most common words in a table as the key, with how you want to react to those words.

Sorry if I didn't state it well in the original post, but I meant how can I decide what the user says?

Lets say the user types in "The cat is fat"

how could the program break it down into sectors, so I could do

if sentence == fat then

table.add(sometable,fat)
    end

if sentence == the then

table.add(sometable, why)
    end

• edited October 2013 Posts: 372

And then save the contents of the table. Then when something new comes up you could ask what would you like the reply to be(In a way it doesn't look like you're asking), and then save it in the table too.

There are several open source chatbots - find one and translate the source code.

I'd start with Eliza.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Some people have spent their careers trying to achieve this. It is HARD! It may be easier to start with a small fixed set of words and get Codea to understand them.

• edited August 2 Posts: 12

So how can you break the sentences into words

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@joaquin You would parse the sentence searching for a space. You could put each word into a table and then identify what each word means. To start, you'll need a small table of words with what action you want to take for each word. It would have a limited vocabulary, but you can keep adding to it.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@joaquin Here's some code that splits words.

function setup()
        tab={}
        str="Some people have spent their careers trying to achieve this. It is HARD! It may be easier to start with a small fixed set of words and get Codea to understand them. So how can you break the sentences into words."

for word in string.gmatch(str,"(%w*)[%.% %!]") do   -- find each word
            table.insert(tab,word)  -- put each word into the table
        end
        print(table.concat(tab,"\n"))   -- print the table
    end

• edited August 10 Posts: 12

@dave1707 Thanks again

• AnatolyAnatoly Mod

AIs are known to overwrite themselves. I suggest you to create a new text file, and respond with it.