Codea Community Public BETA! - Backup, restore, download and Share!

BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
edited November 2014 in Code Sharing Posts: 1,542

Codea Community is in open beta!

Created by: Toffer, Ignatz and Briarfox

Codea Community (CC) is a way to version control, backup and share your projects with other Codea users. All you have to do is run CC and create a username and password. Then you simply add Codea Community as a dependency to any of your projects. After you run the project header info will be added to the main tab of your project. Add your project name and the version you would like to upload. Then run your project and press the Community button. Then turn on Backups and your project will backup!

Wiki

Please read the Wiki for a more detailed explination of features.

Install Codea Community

This is how backed up projects are shared on the forums! Simply long press the copy Codea Community icon and select copy. Then paste the code into a new project by long pressing Add New Project in codea and select paste.

View Code

Please help us out!

Please help us make Codea Community the standard for shareing code! Your feedback is extreemly helpful. Let us know what you would like to see in CC!

Comments

• edited October 2013 Posts: 355

This is great @briarfox

I am right Now in my iPhone
    Only need to put the code in the setup function ? @briarfox

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

I need to spend some more time with the wiki but the basics are there. Glad you like it! When more people start using thier CC project link you can have CC running in Codea. Click run on the project, double tap home and open codea. The project will run :)

Perfect thanks

@Briarfox Whenever I try to make an account, it says my username already exist, any suggestions?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

I would like you to know that both Briarfox and toffer have put in many, many hours of hard effort over the past few months, to get this working. They both have jobs and families, so it hasn't been easy for them.

As with all big projects, there may be some teething problems, but please give it your support because it will make a huge difference to the way we share code with each other.

Codea Legends! - well done chaps :-)

@Ignatz I wasn't blaming them, I was just asking for help with a small problem. ;)

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited October 2013 Posts: 1,542

@Prynok i see your created account. let me look into it and ill get back to you asap.
    Anyone else with the issue?

@Brairfox Great, thank you!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Please try to delete these globals and try again with the first name and password you tried. It will still show the error but it should work.

--run once then delete.
    saveGlobalData("CC_User",nil)
    saveGlobalData("CC_Pass",nil)

@Briarfox, I entered my new login/password credentials - it then said 'OK' and launched a white screen with nothing in it. I then waited and pressed 'Done'. It then echoed 'Failed' to the console continually.

Dont worry, happy to try it again if you have any suggestions. :-)

Scratch that last comment. I then ran it again and it looks ok now.

Might be worth checking this out though.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 577

@Briarfox I feel so stupid now, all I had to do is reload the thing, sorry about that.

EDIT: Woah! This looks amazing! You guys diffidently need to make this the common way to share projects! ;)

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

I'll look into it.

@Briarfox sorry for all these messages, but what type of projects are you looking for on Cc? Demos, Tutorials or full games, Business apps?

EDIT: Also, is there a way to let others play my projects, but not see the code?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Prynok Feel free to use CC for whatever you like!

There is no real way to hide the code and Run it at the same time. We can make it harder for a user to get the code, but it's always possible because Codea needs to read the code in order to run the project.

@Briarfox I see, thanks for responding!

I'm confused, on the wiki it says code sharing isn't available yet, but there is a section on it for sharing projects. Can I share projects yet or not?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Woops, yes you can share!

Congratulations guys! This is an amazing tool

P.S. Is there any reason there are 5 Ignatz's? :P

@JakAttak Someone cloned him, I mean, the more Ignatzs there are, the more amazing inventions we will get, right?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited October 2013 Posts: 1,542

Testing purposes. Still working on the login :)

@Prynok share some projects!

@Briarfox Will do once I figure out how! Either codea communities button is gone for me, or I'm blind. Probably the latter.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Prynok - sorry if my message about the work put in by Briarfox and toffer gave the impression it was in response to your previous comment. It wasn't - I simply wanted to give credit - but the placement was unfortunate!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Prynok do you have CC as a dependency?

@Ignatz Oh! Sorry about that, I usually have a bad habit if comments aren't to a specific person, and they are right under mine, that I think they are talking to me.
    :^o

@Briarfox I don't know what you mean, I put the installer in an empty project named: "!Share"

Everything works fine, I can download, view, and play programs, but I can't seem to share. And trust me, I've clicked everything. Even white space.

EDIT: Ohhh, since my project is set to stay in fullscreen, I didn't see the community button, project shared! Thanks for the amazing project!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

To share, open the project you want to share. Add "!Share" as a dependency.

@briarfox , @ignatz , really nice work , Now I have all my projects and the community, and I have shared many

thanks for making this possible friends, now is more comfortable interacting with other codes, great job congratulate =D>

@Prynok , you have trouble uploading your projects? In the community ?

It would appear that Codea Community Beta is a completely separate project to Codea Community Alpha in that when I ran the alpha then it didn't offer to update to the beta.

So I cloned the alpha (to create a backup) and then ran it to download the beta. It didn't do the download until I'd quit CC and rerun it. When it had downloaded the beta and installed it in the new project, then when I ran it it claimed that there was an update (even though I'd just downloaded it!), so I clicked on the "Update" button and it said it had done the update. But when I quit and restart, it still claims that there is an update. Only on the third time does it stop saying this (I'm not sure if it is the number of times or after a certain length of time).

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Luismi - thank toffer and Briarfox, not me!

@Andrew_Stacey I spend the same, I think that the problem is to put the name of the project and the version, if you want that your this project along with other, rather in one general you have to put all the same name (that of course already know you) my problem was that I not updated the project because you will never change the version (you have to edit the version to upgrade (, if want to put next to other projects) in general one ..
    Tell me if ur problem was fixed

Luismi

@ignatz , Do but your name is up no?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Luismi - I had the first amateur attempt at the web server, but toffer came along and he knows what he is doing, and he took over and has done a wizard job. So I have just been watching for a while. I am going to help with content now.

• Great work guys! I have successfully managed to backup some of my projects.
    Thanks for all your efforts to create such a useful tool.
    I have a couple of questions....
    I notice there is an alpha version of CC. Should we be updating to this version?
    if the project i want to share has dedicated sprite assets, does CC take care of this?

• edited October 2013 Posts: 372

Awesome work guys, backed up a project and it works out. One question though, if a project has a dependency on another project, will it copy the tabs of the project too or will it copy that it has a dependency on that project or none? Curious about the sprites too. Should I completely discard the way I backup projects, I mean will further updates remove all my backup or will they stay as they are?

@Briarfox, @toffer, @ignatz amazing work! @piinthesky sprite assets are not copied but dependencies are, depednding on how complex your sprites are you could make them in codea using the primitives?

Got one suggestion for you guys, I backed up some of my projects and almost all of them run in Fullscreen it's quite irritating to triple tap all the time and see the print instead I added a alert statement along with every print statement related to backup. Helps a lot. Maybe it's just because I did so many backups together.
    Found a bug though, when you run a project which runs in Fullscreen in CC itself, i.e. The rocket button, the project initialises in STANDARD mode and then draws in FULLSCREEN so everything that was in the setup dependent on WIDTH and HEIGHT is altered.

@Briarfox I added it as a dependency, but nothing interesting is happening, should I re download it?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Prynok does a button called Community show up?

@Briarfox Yeah now it does, I was set my app to full screen so I probably didn't see it, thanks for the amazing project!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

There is a small bug with the url link share feature. It's messing up some of the formatting. It will be fixed today. It is possible that this is messing up some of the CC installs that have been done. I'll push and update for the client out as well.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Prynok your Hacker project is including !Share as a dependency. I'll need to rework the way dependencies are checks to remove a Codea Community dependency thats named different.

@Briarfox Does that bug relate to the bug I found? For some reason, when I run my hacker app in Codea Community, the green rectangle is going farther then it should, but oh well, thats what Beta is for! :)

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

There is a minor update to fix CC being uploaded as a dependency.
    Please let me know if the updater works, you must be inside your CC project to update.

@Prynok I'm guessing your issue is do to CC opening the project with the console open. I'll look into it.

@Briarfox update works!

• i updated, but it still tells me i need to update next time i enter.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@piinthesky run CC again, should work. I'll look into it.

A few suggestions from playing around with it for a few hours:

1. The sort from latest update thing, I know this would be hard to add, but right now someone can just go into their code, and just bump the number up by one percent and they will be on top, perhaps one day you could make the program check for differences in the code?

2. Suggestions, the only thing that Codea Community lacks in sharing is suggestions, what if you want to give some constructive criticism on someones project? What if you want to warn everyone that it doesn't work? Don't know how hard this one would be to add, since I'm not good with "multiplayer" projects.

3. A sort by ratings tab, that way you can find what people think are the coolest projects.

4. A "getting started" guide once you first open up the app that has little slideshows of what each button does, and how to do certain things.

That is all. I hope you don't see this as me being picky, instead just think of it as things you might want to add if you ever get stumped :-)