Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KickAsteroids - Zoyt's Codea Holiday Cook Off Development Thread

edited December 2013 in Competition Posts: 2,820

I'll be posting stuff here as it goes on... I'll probably be posting some idea brainstorms soon.

Comments

OK. I think I've got an idea. let's see how it goes...

I've got the enemies working. I'll post a screenshot as soon as I get a working prototytpe.

First video:
    The goal is to not let the objects hit the planet. This is using the fragmentation code I wrote yesterday.

@Zoyt Isn't that kind of a copy of Planetroids?

@SkyTheCoder I thought the same thing

@SkyTheCoder, @Prynok - No. It's very different. You'll see when you play it.
    Anyways, finished basic game mechanics. Next, I'll work on screen, loosing effects, graphics, cities on the planet, etc.
    Anyways, I've got a family to have Christmas Eve dinner with, so I'm gonna leave. :)

@Zoyt, looks fun, but I'm kind of wondering... Where does fall come in?

@JakAttak - From the planet's point of view, the asteroids are falling towards it (yes, at a static speed). @Mark - Does this cut it, or will I be marked down?

• I recognized the falling aspect of it instantly. I don't see what it would be cut down. Nice explosions by the way!

@Zoyt that looks like falling to me (I'm inclined to be flexible, but I'm still hoping to rope @John and @Simeon into doing the actual judging).

@MrScience - Technically, Planetroids was my idea originally, but now it's the team's copyright. Anyways, I'm trying to vary it as much as possible.
    @Mark - Thanks.

nice explosions :)

• edited December 2013 Posts: 2,820

Really sorry I haven't been able to update much. I've been offline and spending time with family most of the time. Anyways, here's a quick update video:

Sorry for the slow frame rate due to recording. Anyways, it works with 1 or 2 players. Now I'm adding stuff like power ups. Suggestions are welcome! (I stop destroying asteroids at the end of the clip because I don't have much time to upload.)
    Thanks!

Very nice, looks really fun

Looks good - reminds me of vectorgeddon

@JakAttak, @West - Thanks. I've never heard of VectorGeddon, but I just looked it up. Nice. I'll be online for a few hours, so I'll try and post updates.

• Wow, that is pretty neat. It looks almost done already.

Wow... I'm actually starting to stress out about this. Not good. Anyways, sorry I wasn't able to post a video at the end of my (brief) coding yesterday. I implemented menus and the basics of power ups. Once I finish the power ups, I'll post a video.

I'm really disappointed in the speed of Codea's physics engine. I really can't wait for the speed improvements in v2. I've had to comment out a ton of features.

@Zoyt, are you not a beta tester?

I'm really get annoyed. I'm removing tiny features left and right for speed optimization. While you can't quite tell in the video, those tiny features are what make the difference. (This is why Lua is for prototyping and small parts of games.) Anyways, quick update:

You can see some bugs I have to fix still in that video...

@JakAttak - I am. v2 is not in beta yet.

Oh darn.

@Zoyt Either that or you haven tried all the tricks, have you set the categories and mask? That might help!

@Prynok - Yes I have.

Quick update:

Nice. Do the missiles help you?

@JakAttak - Yes they do, I need to finish adding the rest of them. That's what I'm doing right now.

I'd added 3 powerups so far. I'm also in a very bad situation: I have to either finish my game in the next 15 minutes, or find a random person in the family that is willing to lend me a hot spot, which runs at about 10 KB per 30 seconds where I'm staying. :-( What to do... What to do... I don't think I can get an extension............

• No chance of a Starbucks, or Panara bread?

Here it is. Also on CC. I might post a video eventually.

Missing Advanced Radial Gradient BG Tab line 5

• After this cook off competition, could this be a appstore game?

@Pops - Uhg. My fault. Sorry. Working on. Fixing it.
    @Jessevanderheide - Probably. I wasn't going to originally, but I got such a positive feedback compared to other prototypes, that I think I'll follow through with it (not in Codea though...).

@Pops - I've uploaded the new one to GitHub and CC. (@Mark - If you've downloaded the code already, you may want to upload it.) Thanks!

In the tutorial you spell lose wrong over and over again (you spell it loose)

• @Zoyt nice, i will be looking forward to that :)

• edited December 2013 Posts: 41

@Zoyt Thanks. Grabbing it now. Your nick cracks me up. "Zoit" was my kids mispronunciation of dessert. Caught on and we still call it that today.

Edit: Could I be tapping some combo to kill the game? I seem to go fine and as things start to get crazy I'm dumped out of the game and Codea. Happens every game. Nice game by the way!

@JakAttak - Haha... The tutorials was one of those things written at the very last second. Thanks. In case you can't tell, I'm not the best speller ever.
    @Jessevanderheide - Thanks. Maybe you can join the beta team when it comes time.
    @Pops - Haha. I have no idea how I got this name. I came up with it for online purposes when I was 7, and it stuck. Enjoy!

• @Zoyt if this app will be availeble for ipad1 i can join the beta.... Otherwise i will haveto buy a ipad mini or ipad2/3

@Jessevanderheide - No promises, but the graphical part will work. I'll be doing some super duper awesome sound synthesis (music that pretty much writes itself according to how your game Is going), so I might have to drop iOS 5. It's becoming a hassle supporting iOS 5.

• Yeah it crashes on mine too after about 30 seconds. Amazing effects though. I love the color choice for the asteroids and how they fly away!

@MrScience101 - Odd. It's a bit annoying that shaders crash Codea on some devices.

• it must be my old ipad 3. Time to get an ipad air I guess. :)

@MrScience101 - I've got an iPad 3 running ios 7.0.4 here... Odd.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 198

That is really odd. I have the first ipad 3, the one with the slower chip. I also have ios 7.0.4. I stored the project from codea community in a project named 'temp'. I wonder if I changed the name to KickAsteroids if that would help.

• Hmmm nope that didn't do it either. It's probably some setting on my iPad that is messing it up.

For the record, I have no problems on my iPad Mini iOS 7.0.4

It crashes for me too, but otherwise it looks great :)

iPad 3 iOS 7.0.4 - haven't had a run without a crash to "desktop" yet. Love the game up to that point though.