Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Jostling Amusement

edited January 2012 in Code Sharing Posts: 273

So I came up with this sketch this evening and thought I might share it and perhaps learn how I might optimize it.

It seems to work -- most of the time -- on my iPad 2. Not sure about the first generation device. I am using the DragMe class that @Simeon showed me a while back.

Edit: I should point out that for me the fun began when I wrote the checkDist() function -- which now, more appropriately, could be renamed: jostle().

-- a Jostling Amusement function setup() displayMode(FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS) --displayMode(FULLSCREEN) num=20 boxes={} for i=1,num do boxes[i]=DragMe() end end function draw() background(0) for i=1,num do boxes[i]:draw() end connect() quiver() checkDist() end function connect() --draw a line connecting box centers for i=1,num-1 do strokeWidth(3) stroke(255) line(boxes[i].pos.x,boxes[i].pos.y,boxes[i+1].pos.x,boxes[i+1].pos.y) end end function quiver() for i=1,num do boxes[i].pos.x=boxes[i].pos.x + (math.sin(boxes[i].pos.x*5)) boxes[i].pos.y=boxes[i].pos.y + (math.sin(boxes[i].pos.y*5)) end end function checkDist() for i=1,num do for j=1,num do if boxes[i] ~= boxes[j] then distX=math.abs(boxes[i].pos.x - boxes[j].pos.x) distY=math.abs(boxes[i].pos.y - boxes[j].pos.y) while distX <= 100 and distY <= 100 do boxes[i].pos.x=boxes[i].pos.x+math.random(-1,1) boxes[j].pos.x=boxes[j].pos.x+math.random(-1,1) boxes[i].pos.y=boxes[i].pos.y+math.random(-1,1) boxes[j].pos.y=boxes[j].pos.y+math.random(-1,1) distX=math.abs(boxes[i].pos.x - boxes[j].pos.x) distY=math.abs(boxes[i].pos.y - boxes[j].pos.y) end end end end end function touched(touch) for i=1,num do boxes[i]:touched(touch) end end -- DragMe DragMe = class() function DragMe:init() self.pos = vec2(math.random(50,WIDTH-50),math.random(50,HEIGHT-50)) self.fill=color(math.random(255),math.random(255),math.random(255),255) self.size=75 --math.random(25,100) end function DragMe:draw() pushStyle() fill(self.fill) rectMode(CENTER) rect(self.pos.x, self.pos.y, self.size, self.size) popStyle() end function DragMe:hit(point) if point.x > (self.pos.x - self.size/2) and point.x < (self.pos.x + self.size/2) and point.y > (self.pos.y - self.size/2) and point.y < (self.pos.y + self.size/2) then return true end return false end function DragMe:touched(touch) if self:hit( vec2(touch.x, touch.y) ) and touch.state == MOVING then self.pos=self.pos+vec2(touch.deltaX,touch.deltaY) end end

Comments

It works fine on iPad1, I don't see any optimizations. You could use the vec2 function dist yo do a round distance rather than square

Thanks for looking at it and for your tip! I'll experiment with the dist function for calculating proximity and compare it with what I'm using now. It's definitely time to go back and redo your vec2 tutorial. :)

I'm also considering:

(1) changing the color of the blocks (warm vs cool) based on their degree of being jostled

(2) making some blocks more sensitive/aggressive

• very funny idea :D

also a possibility:

high aggressivity -> warm color

low aggressivity -> cold color