Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.0 Beta

1111213141517»

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon An update. When I run the above program and get no points drawn, if it touch the screen with a second finger, that one will leave a trail. I can lift the second finger and put it back down and it will draw the trail, but the trail still won't be drawn with the first finger moving around the screen.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited March 2014 Posts: 8,622

@Simeon I tried it again but this time I put a print(CurrentTouch.x) in draw(). It printed out a bunch of numbers like this 4.7217632871034e+257 when it wasn't plotting any points. If those are the values I'm getting for touch.x, then that explains why it's not plotting in the viewable screen area.

EDIT: Or numbers like this. 3.3536156802039e-314, or just plain 0.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 @JakAttak @Ignatz @Zoyt thanks for the feedback on the what's new page! Glad you like it. I'll share it once the rest of codea.io is finished.

@dave1707 I'll test out your touch example and see what I can find.

@Simeon, I have a question. In the credits the music pack is referred to as "Hero's Journey" but the asset pack is called "Hero's Quest". Is this a mistake, or did you change the name for the pack?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited March 2014 Posts: 5,417

@JakAttak it's a mistake. It's fixed in the App Store version — I made some fixes just prior to submission that weren't captured in the beta. The other bug is the status bar shows up on the Air Code screen, also fixed in the App Store version.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited March 2014 Posts: 3,297

small editor bug

• tap some text on, say, line 200.
    • then remove the key board.
    • then scroll to line 50.
    • then tap line 50 to edit it.
    • the bug: the display goes to line 200 and scrolls back to line 50. The visual effect is annoying and unnecessary.
    • the expected behavior: no scroll, we are already where we want to be.
  • Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Editor bug

Another scroll bug. I (and others) requested to have each tab remember the last viewed position, and to go there when the tab is displayed. You have implemented it, and this is very good. This works fine except in 1 case:

• tab1 has 300 lines.
    • tab2 has 50 lines.
    • i look at tab2, line 1,
    • then i look at tab1 line 40,
    • then i go back to tab2: fine, i am at line 1,
    • then i look at tab1 line 200,
    • then i go back to tab2: BUG: i am at last line of tab2!

I think when 1/ tab1 has more lines than tab2 and 2/ i go in tab1 beyond the line number of tab2, then the position of tab2 is lost.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

While we are on editor bugs, I've noticed something strange. A couple of times when working with code which is shorter than the screen (so it won't scroll), when I run it and go back to edit it, the tabs don't show and I can't get them to show by scrolling down with my finger. I have to go out of the project and come back in.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

i've noticed that sometimes too. Usually, tapping inside another tab fixes it.

I've noticed that tapping on the suggestion in the shader lab does not complete the item. Also, the auto re indent thing does not work in the shader lab (it shouldn't be too hard to tweak the regex). You also might suggest adding an option to make it so after the user edits a demo project and closes it, Codea asks if they want to turn it into an editable project.
    Thanks!

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,043

The updated Codea homepage looks nice! One note though: the green back stops kind of awkwardly, it'd be nicer if it was stopped half the iPad or of it just went the whole page, something other than it seems to stop at no particular place for no reason

Also perhaps the Discussion link should be renamed Forums or Codea Talk

EDIT: I see you've made the changes I suggested. Looks really good!

I'm liking what you've done on the dev blog page. One thing that'd look nice IMO is if all the pages could have the same length for the green back strip. Right now the blog and homepage are pretty close, what's new and forums are close, but they are all off.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

editor change.

I've just noticed the following change: self.field.subfield is now colored in turquoise, while it used to be left in black. Is it on purpose? I thought you didnt want to make it turquoise because it is not the "good" way to access sub-fields?

@Simeon, I was wondering why the latest beta was 2.0 (40) but the release version is 2.0 (22)?

EDIT: Also, any reason why http://www.twolivesleft.com/Codea doesnt redirect to codea.io?

Quick note: the online reference still does not have the vectors section... Anyways, congratulations on all of this. I hope sales are going well.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak they use different numbering systems. Betas use a build number per-beta release, release builds use a release number.

@Zoyt it will be updated when it gets re-themed and re-hosted on codea.io.

@Simeon - It seems that an error is not raised when an invalid name for some music is played. :/ Is there a way I can test if a file exists? Right now I'm attempting to use pcall to catch errors, but that's not working.
    Other than that, I've got the code fully commented and it alerts the user if a piece of music doesn't exist (once I get that code to work).
    Thanks!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I tried to update to the real Codea 2.0 and it wanted to charge me for the update. I realized that the beta version was different than the real Codea version and that's why it thought I didn't have a previous version of Codea. I reloaded version 1.5.? and then loaded the real Codea 2.0 with no problems. When you want me to beta test again, testflight will then overlay Codea with a beta version. My question, is there a way for the beta version to be kept seperate from the real version. That way testing can be done on the beta version and any differences can be compared to the real version. I found having both versions helpful, being able to run the beta on my new iPad but still have the previous version on my old iPad 1.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@dave1707 Sometimes the App Store will ask you to pay again, but when you click ok it will let you know that you have previously paid for the purchase and not charge you.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Briarox I seen something like that before, but I tried it about 4-5 times and it wasn't going to give it to me without paying. But like I said, I reloaded version 1.5.? and had no problem upgrading to 2.0 after that. But I would still like the real and beta versions to be seperate apps.

@dave1707, if two apps have the same appID installing one will replace the other. So TLL would have to make a com.twolivesleft.CodeaBeta or something like that, but that would require adding another app to iTunes Connect and be a bit of a hassle i think. That said, it would be handy.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 the reason I don't want to do this is because I need to test the migration of user projects. By having the beta replace the App Store version I can ensure that the release builds will be safe for all users to install after the beta period — this is especially true if we have to change something relating to how projects are stored on device. Otherwise I'd need to create separate beta builds that replace the App Store version to ensure that the migration aspect has been tested prior to release.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Thanks for the answer. I just thought it would be nice to be able to test new code and compare it to old code. Other than that I I guess there isn't a need for seperate code.