Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.0 Beta

Comments

Bugs:
    - Tabs don't highlight red when there's an error there
    - Tab with bluetooth keyboard does not indent multiple lines
    - Small issue, but you can't see the "x" when adding a new tab in the dark theme
    Other than that, you fixed all the bugs I had on my bug list I had not reported.
    Thanks!
    About Codea Play, I would love to see that project come back. Just some ideas: You have the same projects, and you can play with the code (but it doesn't save), or you can run code off your clipboard, or you can use AirCode. But I know that's a ways off.
    Thanks!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @Zoyt, I hadn't intended tab on a BT keyboard to indent multiple lines, but I can probably add it. Normally the key command for indent / back-indent is Cmd+] / Cmd+[ — so I might use those instead.

Highlighting tabs with errors will come back soon. Same with the Shader Lab.

By the way, is there someone using iPad 2 that is getting a lot of crashes (I see about 6 in TestFlight). If you could tell me what Lua code is causing your crash it would be much appreciated.

• toffertoffer Mod

Probably me, it seem there is too things, bluetooth keyboard and print output. I came back with more details asap.

I'm assuming you have plans to restyle side panel while playing the app? Also, I personally thing that the backgrounds of project icons should be dated.
    Thanks!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt side panel will be redesigned soon, date on the project icons is interesting and something to think about.

@toffer if you could tell me more about your issues with BT keyboards and print output, that would be great.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 2,820

Oh, haha. (I'm on a Windows tablet right now, so it has horrible auto correct.) That was actually a typo. I meant to say something along the lines of the background of the project icons should match the new icon theme, but you probably have that planned. Thanks!

parameter.watch doesn't work at all now. It just prints the string with nothing else. So parameter.watch("stuff") just shows the word stuff without showing the value of stuff.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Sorry @Andrew_Stacey, I broke it while debugging its behaviour.

• toffertoffer Mod
    edited January 2014 Posts: 151

@Simeon - Here is the project that crash often beta 2.10 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7bbfx6v6m2zjq8/parameters_menu.lua.

• keyboard issue : using type2phone to from my desktop to act as a bluetooth keyboard (never experienced this issue with previous Codea version). It starts with non working tab key and Cmd/Alt-Arrows followed a freeze and a crash.

• print issue: crash when I scroll output panel (even with small stack) or when I print from a loop (from ~20 iterations)

from the same project, when I create new tab before Main and delete it, the editor switch to the second tab (it main be the first) and this one display the content of the third tab, after that, I can't reach the first tab.
    Hope it's help.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I have the same issue as @toffer with print. If I print any amount of data, a fast scroll to the bottom will close codea. If I scroll very slowly then Codea keeps running.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited January 2014 Posts: 5,416

Sorry about the crash issue with the output/parameter panes. I think the newest build (11) solves it (and a bunch of other stuff). Please let me know if you still experience this issue.

Here's a selection issue:

1. Hide keyboard
    2. Tap on a line number to select that line
    3. Move the end of the selection

The result is that the start of the selection will jump to the start of the tab instead of staying where it is.

Also, I'd really, really like to be able to use the select key to start a selection. That is, if I have the cursor where I want it then I like to be able to tap the side of that key to start the selection from that point (in the corresponding direction). I miss that a lot.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Ah, I will have to fix that selection issue. The menu also doesn't appear (making selections at that point a bit useless).

Regarding the selection key, I will be putting the tap behaviour back in soon. However you should be able to touch and drag it left or right to form a selection from the current cursor position. Is this what you mean?

E.g.,

(Cursor is |)

self.|foo

Touch and drag selection key right:

self.|foo|
          ^^^ - selected

Touch and drag selection key left:

|self.|foo
     ^^^^^ - selected

• toffertoffer Mod

Just a quick look.
    New shortcuts are great addition ! Unfortunately, I can't use the ones with ] because my keyboard is french mapped.

It seem that the comment uncomment shortcut with multiline selection remove the lines while keeping the comment block.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@toffer on a French keyboard it looks like the ^ and $ keys are in the same place as [ ]. We could localize the keyboard shortcuts, but I think perhaps creating alternate versions with Latin characters would work better: cmd+I and cmd+O

• toffertoffer Mod

I agree for latin characters, if that's don't bother anyone else :)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Can anyone tell me how their autocomplete works, for example:

If you type math. (i.e., math dot), do you then get a list of completions?

Or do you only get a list of completions when you type math.<letter> (e.g., "math" dot "a").

The former is correct behaviour (and happens for me), the latter is happening for at least one tester. I'd like to understand how widespread this is.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon math. gives me the full list of completions. They do go off the screen and they are not scrollable, but i do not believe they were intended to be scrollable. So working as intended for me.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @Briarfox

I only get the list of completions when I type math.<letter>. Also, the Copy, Paste, Lookup list still has duplicates.

(I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest build - is there any way to tell? Perhaps you should put in a CodeaVersion variable to make it easy.)

When pressing the search key on the keyboard then the focus remains in the main window (this has always been the behaviour). I think it should be in the search field.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey you can tell from the Credits screen (tap the Two Lives Left logo on the main project browser, version is in the upper right). However, TestFlight tells me you are on the latest version 2.0 (11).

Thank you for letting me know — this is a frustrating bug to track down because it works correctly on my test devices.

Agreed about search, the longer term plan is to re-think the whole feature. For now I'll make the search activate when the button is pressed. At the moment all my time is being occupied by ensuring the old features remain in place (such as the Shader Lab).

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey looks like the autocomplete bug was an issue on 32 bit CPUs. It's fixed now.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Please let me know if you still see the multiple "Re-indent" and "Lookup" issue. I believe I have fixed it, but I thought that last time, too :)

• toffertoffer Mod

Cmd+Shift+I / Cmd+Shift+O doesn't work for me (tested with typeTophone and bluetooth keyboard). And I experience some crash with Cmd+Alt+arrow left.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Sorry @toffer, there was a bug in my code. Next build will fix Cmd+Shift+I/O

Looking into the cmd+alt+arrow freeze.

@Simeon Didn't know about the version being there. Thanks! Now that I've found that page, I note that the list of contributors (of some variant or other) goes out of line once it stops being 2-column. Specifically, after Keyboard Gestures Concept, which is in the second column, the remaining text is in the first column.

So far, it looks like the multipe "re-indent" and "lookup"s have been fixed. I haven't encountered one yet, and they were almost always there before so I think that's good evidence.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey there is now a known issue that the "re-indent" and "lookup" behaviour is swapped after closing and opening a new project. I'm re-architecting the whole action system to resolve.

@Simeon !!!Location!!! Yippee! Fandabidozie!

Woohoo! Thanks for location services.

Testing location right now. Yea!

Select All doesn't select all. It missed a few lines off the bottom when I tried it.

I get -1 for speed and course (iPad 4). Do I need to do anything to get them to work? An astronomy app I have seems to know my heading so there ought to be compass info.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey do you have a WiFi or cellular iPad? The cellular models have GPS, which I believe is required for accurate location and speed. In addition, the last location "update" may have been delivered via WiFi or cell tower signal triangulation (rather than GPS satellite) which could cause speed to be invalid.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 2,043

Just loaded up the beta, and I'm having an issue with textWrapWidth and textSize. After setting textWrapWidth, textSize returns incorrect sizes.

Also, physics seem a little jittery. Something could be hanging, rocking back and forth and then it just jumps suddenly by a little bit.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak there have been changes to those functions — iOS 7 changes the string measuring APIs and algorithm. Can you give me a short code example that demonstrates the issue? (Say, rendering a box over some text or similar). That way I can use it to debug.

Same goes for physics, if you have a simple example then @John will be able to take a look at the problem.

Text example:

function draw()
        textWrapWidth(WIDTH)
        str = "ahahdhqsn,xbwljdvqkejdgwkejdgwkjedgwkuedfwjyfdwiwyedfwkehcfwkehdgwkejdgwkejdgwkeudgwljdgwleudgwleugddwljgdwlugewlducgwldudcgwoudcgwoeudgwougdeweoudgwoeudgwoudgweougdwoeucgwoudge"

text(str, WIDTH/2, HEIGHT/2)

if not printed then
            print(textSize(str))
            printed = true
        end
    end

It renders properly, but you can tell just by looking that the values textSize returns are incorrect.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @JakAttak, the bug is fixed for the next build.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 2,043

That was quick.

I also noticed that sound effects play much louder than music, with both at full volume (including in the asset viewer). I was wondering why this is, as it is kind of annoying that music is so faint yet sounds are so loud.

Edit: A restart of Codea fixed it, not sure what caused it.

I have a WiFi iPad, not cellular. But it still has a compass in it, I've just downloaded a compass app to test it and that works fine. But Codea says:

<+63.39820116,+10.41902721> +/- 65.00m (speed -1.00 mps / course -1.00) @ 25/01/2014 08:01:30 Central European Standard Time

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

course is generally for in-car navigation purposes. I suspect iOS attempts to compile it from a number of different hardware sources rather than the hardware compass, as the compass must be calibrated prior to use. iOS has separate heading API (though this is not exposed through the Codea location API).

Also, location.disable doesn't work. I still get the location data and location.available returns true.

Any chance of heading, then? That's what I've been wanting all this time.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey location.disable simply means that location updates will stop. I expect that the last cached location is available — but it's just not getting updated any more. It's a little confusing, I agree (the docs also incorrectly state this under location.available(), I'll have to change it).

My plan is to expand location.enable in the future to accept a callback, which will be called whenever the location is updated. This makes location.disable make more sense.

I'll try add heading, however I am unsure about how the calibration step will work. I'll look into it.

Hmm, I think it would be more useful to know if location services have been disabled.

I hope that heading works.

Some more bugs:

• Double-tap to select doesn't recognise commas as word boundaries: vec3(0,0,0) selects the whole 0,0,0
    • I can't tell the difference between linecapmodes project and square.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey see the "Lines" example for the difference between project and square. You need to make the line thickness quite wide before it's easy to see.

Good catch on the double-tap. It does work if you put spaces after commas, but it should work regardless.

@Simeon okay, done more testing. lineCapMode only has an effect if smooth is in effect, otherwise no effect.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey yes, that is correct. Sorry for the confusion. We can enable project and square for non-smoothed lines, but the current behaviour mimics the past behaviour when non-smooth lines were rendered with a GL_LINES primitive. I'll have to revisit lines at some point after 2.0 (I'd love to have native splines too).

Hi. havent sent that image yet, sorry.

== followed by space removes the last =
    selecting a line in the editor doesn't make the keyboard appear.
    the color picker hides the character after color, could be a bit confusing?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@tnlogy the colour picker is a bit of a tradeoff, I find the preview helpful, but it can get in the way. I might make it hide the preview when you are editing that particular line.

The == one I still need to look at.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 1,255

Is location updating? I did something as simple as add location.enable() to setup and add text statements to display location.latitude, longitude, and location.horizontalAccuracy. Values appear, and they look completely reasonable... but they don't change if I walk 100' or so. If accuracy starts out saying 5 when I'm outside in full view of the sky, it still says 5 even if I walk inside and go into an interior hallway with no windows. However, if I stop the program and restart it, all the values update.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Mark I'm unsure, I don't have an iPad with cellular to test GPS updates. I'll look into it some more to see what's happening.