Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.0 Beta

Comments

• edited January 2014 Posts: 1,255

@Simeon looking through the locationManager API, I'm wondering if the time interval or distanceFilter might be set high enough to prevent reception of new events.

And now pasteboard! This is exciting.

@Simeon, for the color picker, why not just make it take up extra space so that nothing could be under the color preview? (which I also find very helpful)

@Simeon I took a hike of a kilometer or two, and location is definitely not updating once a program is started. I let it run for 15 minutes to see if the time interval might be the issue. No dice. Adding an disable / enable loop inside the code didn't help. Hitting the on-screen restart button didn't help. However, if I actually stopped the code and restarted -- tah dah, update. Values look good. But it evidently makes only a single reading the first time location is checked and doesn't update after that point.

• BortelsBortels Mod

re. pasteboard - hey, neat. I thought Apple didn't allow apps to monkey with the cut and paste - did something change? That opens a lot of doors that have been long-closed...

@Bortels - They've really loosened up on coding apps. Pythonista added it recently, so it shouldn't be an issue,

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Mark I should be able to fix it by the next build. Thank you for letting me know.

@JakAttak that's the ideal solution, but the picker is metadata about the code, it doesn't influence the spacing the way it was designed. I'll think about it some more.

@Bortels it seems many other apps also allow code importing from the web (Editorial and Pythonista come to mind). I'd like to add this back soon too.

@Simeon - Great. I'd love that (regarding importing code from the web). I haven't run into any bugs recently.
    Thanks!

"Edit Shader" button does not work in the assets browser. Also pressing "Rate Codea" is not working (my iOS 6 code for rating apps didn't work in iOS 7).
    Thanks!
    P.S. Just putting the question out there - Are there any plans for custom asset packs?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt thanks will fix the "Edit Shader" issue. Also thanks for letting us know about the "Rate Codea" button.

Custom asset packs will still be DIY in 2.0 (i.e., you can use iExplorer or something to do it). Eventually I wouldn't mind allowing people to point the asset picker to a URL and have it download and install the pack — but I'd like to have project based assets first because I feel this is more important.

@Simeon - Great. Thanks. I agree with project-based assets.

that videos in the forum quite often doesnt appear in the codea web view, is that a bug? when I open the page in the "real" browser it works.

nice with the pasteboard, would that open up to add run-buttons to code snippets in the forum? :) for future releases I think functionality as that could make the forums ever better, but that depens on Apple I guess as well..

@Simeon, re color picker. What about having the whole thing highlight in the color, rather than just the end bit, then you could get rid of that extra end bit and nothing would be covered.

@JakAttak - I personally like the current method, since it's easy to see the alpha aspect of the color and it matches everything else, but it'd be worth a shot.

(content suggestion. maybe add http://fontawesome.io as an asset. it's a nice set of vector icons which I use quite often for prototypes at work wih html)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak that was my initial thought, though it would be more of a "tint" in the colour and it wouldn't show transparency.

@tnlogy thanks for the link, that looks great. Do you think we should simply add it as a font, or as a vector asset pack? (e.g., export all the symbols out to PDF)

@Simeon, that seems to have fixed the location issue. I'll do more tests today, but it looks good.

maybe try to add it as a dont, but might be hard to reference the icons, since they referenced by utf8 code that are a bit hard to remember. So might be easier as a vector asset pack to be able to reference by name and get a preview of what is available

• edited January 2014 Posts: 2,043

Just loaded build 15, and Codea has already crashed 4 times on a project that was running fine yesterday. Not sure what the issue is.

Project icons are looking great. I believe the last UI change you have to do is the preview screen (which you probably know).
    Anyways, when Codea v2.0 is nearing release, it might be worth giving out a beta runtime so I can check that everything works on a full blown project (StackIt, and it relies on C code so much, it won't work in Codea).
    Thanks!

@Zoyt, actually... I've got StackIt running in Codea by commenting out the calls to c functions. No weather or any of that, but it plays fine. Code is easy to pull with iExplorer

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak that's concerning. I can't see the crashes in Testflight.

I did change the following: return a 0 size when using textSize with font set to nil, and a few other things. Any unique features you are using compared to other projects?

• edited January 2014 Posts: 2,820

@JakAttak - I've done that before, but it takes a lot of time and I need to copy over all the asset packs and there are conflicting file names. And @Simeon - This is why code security concerns me. My code is just sitting there in iExplorer for anyone to look at and take the code or fool with the saved files. Also, since AppGratis is going to feature me, which is estimated to give me about 2,000 users (from research), at least 1/15 of those users are going to try and hack it (from other research).
    Thanks!
    Edit: Regarding code security, I just found this via this article. It's still a hassle to copy the code from 31 files.

@Simeon, not that I can think of. It seems to be my code, I get a crash in 1.5 as well. I'll look more into it.

I found this on the forums:

myImage = readImage("Dropbox:FLPlayer", myImage)
    saveImage("Project:Icon", myImage) 

for saving a project icon and it worked, however it then dissapeaed. I was wondering if this is a bug, or a not fully implemented feature?

Finally, what is the function that music() calls? Because music is a table and a function I can't overwrite it properly.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt we plan to look at allowing you to load encrypted source into the runtime. @juaxix suggested it, but there are other priorities first.

@JakAttak not fully implemented. It used to work in an older beta version. Will be coming back. If you can locate your crash that would be great.

Pressing () twice doesnt work as expected, or using it inside an existing (). The same problem with [{.

@Simeon, does Codea generate crash logs when it crashes?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak I can see two crash logs now — both related to the code editor. Are they yours?

@tnlogy sorry about that, fixed in the next update. The idea will be that if you press it and there is an open ( that needs closing, then it will simply insert the close parentheses. There was a bug that made it not work properly part-way through a line.

@Simeon, I don't think so. Seems I was creating too many instances of a class, causing Codea to crash. I fixed it now, so I can say pretty certainly that it was my issue and not a Codea bug

Having an issue where if I type something like sprite(a, b, c, d) then later (without running in or closing project in between), I go music(e) it changes it to music(e, b, c, d)

I don't know if this is an issue with the beta or not, but I'm using the beta runtime and others are having the problem, so here it is:
    I've mentioned a few times that a few of my users got stuck on a black screen in my app and can't open it. It finally happened to me, and I found this in my console:

2014-01-27 01:36:52.096 StackIt[11345:70b] +[CATransaction synchronize] called within transaction
    2014-01-27 01:36:52.096 StackIt[11345:70b] +[CATransaction synchronize] called within transaction
    2014-01-27 01:36:52.097 StackIt[11345:70b] +[CATransaction synchronize] called within transaction
    2014-01-27 01:36:55.959 StackIt[11345:70b] +[CATransaction synchronize] called within transaction
    2014-01-27 01:36:55.960 StackIt[11345:70b] Logging in to GameCenter (unrelated)
    2014-01-27 01:36:57.045 StackIt[11345:70b] +[CATransaction synchronize] called within transaction
    2014-01-27 01:36:57.045 StackIt[11345:70b] +[CATransaction synchronize] called within transaction

I'm not using core animation, so I assume it's a Codea issue. When I Google the log, I'm finding other users that are having the same problem (with the core animation library in general). If you could fix this within the release of the v2.0 runtime, that'd be wonderful.
    Thank you!

if stuff then do_stuff() end

produces a spurious extra end on pressing return

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I really like the new display mode. Very handy. Thanks.

I agree with Briargox. Super useful.

Brilliant idea with OVERLAY. However, it appears to have replaced FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS?

Also, although the new buttons look nice, they are completely invisible on a white (or even light gray) background. Finally, the popup window when finished recording has still not been flattened.

@JakAtak - FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS is working for me...

@Zoyt, what I meant is that it no longer appears as an option in the popup for displayMode() in the editor

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon Just a reminder. It's still hard to import from photo library. The textbox to name the imported photo is still being covered up.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited January 2014 Posts: 5,416

@JakAttak FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS never appeared as a popup (it was too long and too easy for new users to get stuck without buttons).

Thanks for the reminder, @Briarfox.

Glad you all like the new display mode. It's something I've wanted to have since an early version but the design never worked with transparency.

@Andrew_Stacey thanks for the autocomplete bug, will fix.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey I am unable to get that exact line of code to produce a spurious end. Is there some missing context or is the exact line different?

Reminder, keyboard is still not showing when selecting a line number in the code editor. Nice design of the overlay. Even better if you could place parameters on the screen at x,y :)

@Simeon I created a new tab in an existing project and typed:

if localise then localise("Overlay") end

Then I pressed return and an extra end appeared.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@tnlogy I like the parameters at x,y idea.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey that's odd, I can't seem to reproduce in a new blank tab (typing the same code you posted). Can anyone else reproduce @Andrew_Stacey's bug?

@tnlogy I'd like to have that too. It's too ambitious for 2.0 though.

@Simeon, I can reproduce Andrew's bug.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I can reproduce Andrew's bug on an iPad Air.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I'm getting a bug with saveProjectTab(). I'm using saveProjectTab("main") to overwrite main. When I stop running the project, I see the correct code in the main tab. However if I run the project again the previous project code is ran and not what is showing the in main tab. If I close the project and reload it, the previous code is back. I'll make up a small example.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Example of saveProjectTab() appearing to write to main but not working.

function setup()
        print("Old Main")
        newMain()
    end

function draw()

end

function newMain()
        str = [[function setup()
    print("New Main")        
    end

function draw()

end
    ]]

saveProjectTab("Main",str)          
    end

@Simeon, is there a way to get the currently playing music track? If not, would it be possible to add that?

@JakAttak - You can always replace "music" with your own function that stores it in a global variable.

@Zoyt, yes and that's actually what I'm doing, but would be a nice feature to have built in, especially since you can get the length of the track.

And it's not as easy as it seems, because music is a table and I can't find the actual function that music() calls so you can't just replace it, I had to write a whole other function and call that instead of music.