Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.0 Beta

Comments

@dave1707 - Glad it works. displayMode(OVERLAY) is basically displayMode(STANDARD) with a transparent background. So try drawing stuff behind the side bar. I think at this point, the only way to get music into Codea is with iTunes File Sharing or iExplorer (if that's what you were asking). @Simeon - Sorry to keep putting in feature requests, but how hard would it be to enable the open in functionality for sounds and music?
    Thanks!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Zoyt OK, the overlay works. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess when I tried it the first time with a sprite, I didn't have the sprite far enough to the left.

Music and sound can be synced via Dropbox.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Not sure what's happening here. I'm reading the image "Planet Cute:Character Boy" and saving that image in "Documents:abc", When I look in Documents, the image "abc" doesn't show. I know it's there because I can comment out the first 2 lines in setup() and uncomment the third line to read image "abc" back in. It shows in Documents on my iPad1 with version 1.5.5 .

function setup() img=readImage("Planet Cute:Character Boy",img) saveImage('Documents:abc',img) --img=readImage("Documents:abc") end function draw() background(40,40,50) sprite(img,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2) end
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I'm not sure if this is related to the above, but in 1.5.5 I used to write to a Dropbox file using the below code for file. It doesn't seem to work now.

local file = os.getenv("HOME").."/Documents/Dropbox.spritepack/map1.png"

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@zoyt displayMode(OVERLAY) draws like FULLSCREEN but has the console with a transparency.

@Briarfox - Now that I look back at my description, it wasn't very clear... Thanks!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 Dropbox.spritepack is now called Dropbox.assetpack, you'll need to update your path with the new name.

Thanks for reporting the asset picker refresh bug, I've fixed it in the next build.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here's an odd result with print. Missing lines with a starting "\n". This works OK in 1.5.5 . I changed "spritepack" to "assetpack" and things worked OK. That should be something that's mentioned so others can make the change when this comes out. As for the magnifying circle when the keyboard isn't showing. You could highlight keywords and when your finger is lifted, show the documentation for it. In 1.5.5, as soon as the screen is touched, the keyboard shows.

function setup() print("\nWhy doesn't this line print") print("but this line does.") print("Is it because of the") print("\nthat stops it.") end
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Concerning the popup keys. Is there any way to make a popup one key high and the length of the keyboard. In that popup allow user definable keys. There are keys that I might use more often then someone else and visa versa that would be placed there. And they would be in one spot.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Something I noticed different. If I want to change the 400 in the rect line below, in version 1.5.5 I would double tap on it and the 400 would be highlighted and changeable. In version 2.0, if I double tap on the 400, the whole row of numbers gets highlighted, not just the 400. Using the new editor, I have a hard time positioning the cursor. It seems that most of the time after I position the cursor and lift my finger, the cursor ends up 1 character to the right. I don't know if it's more sensitive to my finger movement when I lift my finger. Also, would it be possible to turn off all of the help highlighting when the magnifier is being used. It's hard to follow the cursor when it blends in with the highlighting.

function setup() end function draw() background(40, 40, 50) fill(255) rect(300,400,100,100) end

Commas are not breaking up selection. Noticed this earlier.

Something annoying I've noticed: When you print multiple things, the latest one is not visible, you must scroll up to see it.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Getting back to the cursor moving one character from where it's placed. I can make it happen fairly easy. Place the cursor then move your finger just a little more right or left then lift your finger. The cursor will move one character position.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon adding to "-" not being selectable "#" is not selectable as well. You must select letters/numbers then drag over "- and #" . Minor annoyance.

In the settings for Dropbox, it says you can use it to store sprites. Perhaps change that to assets, just so people know it can also do music and sound (and any future assets you support)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 8,614

@Simeon I think this one is a big issue in the editor, at least for me. If I do a find, it shows all of the matches. In version 1.5.5, if I tap on one of the matches, that word is highlighted in the code and I can type a new word and that matched word in the code is changed to the new word. I can do that for each of the matches. In the new editor, that doesn't happen. If I try to change a matched word, the new word goes at the last cursor position and not the line of the matched word. I use this option a lot when I want to rename a variable through out the code. It not as fast as a rename all, but it works.

EDIT: I guess having 2 iPads, one with the old version and one with new version makes checking differences easy.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 would having find-and-replace substitute this functionality for you?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Find and replace would be fine as long as there is control over whether you replace a word or skip a word. I'm sure others would like a find and replace also. I have a question about location.speed and location.course. How fast do you have to be moving for the speed and course to register. I also played around with all the music code and I think everyone is going to be happy with that. Not sure what physics.continuous is supposed to do. The pasteboard will come in handy. So far, the major things I've been finding is with the editor. Some of the popup key positions I'm getting used to, but others are not handy. I think the old mini pop up keyboard was better. I would like to see that with a lot more keys on it. That way all the extra keys are in one place.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Setting physics.continuous turns on "continuous collision detection". It's slower, but what it means is that fast moving objects won't be able to move through very thin objects. For example, bullets going through thin walls. Non-continuous collision detection means that if a collision doesn't "happen" in a time step, then it doesn't happen at all. Continuous collision detection extrudes objects along their direction of movement and tests for potential future collisions.

Which keys are you missing the most? I found the number keys were a little redundant (easier to access via main keyboard) and so removed them.

Keys: I'm really missing the quotations, and the ~= which have been replaced by -- and ~ respectively

Search: One really annoying thing is that when the result is near the bottom of a tab you can't scroll to it and therefore you can't edit it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak if you long-press the comments key, the quotes are under there. Did you know about that? I have been thinking of swapping quotes with comment (so comment is accessed by long-pressing the quotes key). What does everyone think about that?

I'll try to find a place for ~=

I did know, however i find myself commenting out a lot of lines because I'm so used to that being quotes. I think swapping them would be a good idea, I know I use quotes much more often then comments.

~= is already there on the = key.

A bit off topic, but I ran across this old beta discussion, and I noticed you and planned to add GameCenter multiplayer. Is that actually legal with Apple's app review guidelines?
    Anyways, at this point, my only suggestion is to make the HUD buttons dark on a light background, and light on a dark background.
    Thanks!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Then isn't physics.continuous like the bullet setting under physics.body. As for the popup keys, I never used the number keys on the popup keyboard. The < > keys need to be added to the = key. Right now to get them I select <= or >= and backspace to get rid of the = . Swap the -- and "" keys. If you need space on the popup keys, remove the "and" "or" words. "and" and "or" can be typed faster on the keyboard then trying to get to the popup and sliding your finger to get to the words. I think that would take care of the popups. The cursor placement is still giving me problems. I'm finding that after I place the cursor, I have to make sure it's where I want it before I start typing. A lot of times I have to move it left or right one character before typing. I haven't run into any issues with line wrapping yet, but then I work in portrait so I tend to keep lines short or break my long lines anyways.

@Andrew_Stacey, thanks I hadn't noticed that.

Any chance we could get == on that key as well? Anytime I type == directly it deletes the second = and replaces it with a space...

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@JakAttak I noticed that with the == also. Actually it happens with the other popup keys too. What I found out was a quick tap gives you the key value. A little bit longer tap gives you nothing and a longer tap brings up the popup keys. It's like there's a fine timing issue where it tries to decide to give you the key value or to show the popup keys but it gives you nothing instead.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I seem to be having issues with location. I use location.enable() then check it with location.availibility(). Sometimes location.latitude with have the info and sometimes it will not. Seems to be very sparatic. Even when no info is availiable the location.availiable() will still return true.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Briarfox I've been playing with location and haven't run into any problems. I check location.available() before I display any data. If I call location.enable() then it displays my location data, if I call location.disable() then it doesn't show anything. Are you checking location.available() or location.availibility().

EDIT: It appears that location.enable() and location.disable() have no effect on the location information. I can call enable and disable and the location information is still valid. It appears that calling enable and disable only determines the value from location.available().

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@dave1707 I'm calling location.available() It returns true but location.latitude will be nil. Happens 3/5 project loads.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

It appears that location is not populated right when location.enabled is called. I will get nil results but it I let the project sit for a few more seconds and use the console to print location.xx then it's correctly populated.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Briarfox I created a test project that just displays the location information without using enable, disable, or available. I haven't had any nil outputs yet. The latitude and longitude I get gives a location about 1/4 mile from where I am. Are you using WiFi or 4g, 5g, or whatever. I'm using WiFi, so it probably triangulating my position from the towers around me. The info is correct as soon as I start the code.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

I'm using WiFi as well. iPad Air. I'm getting nil more then the location info.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Briarfox Not sure what' going on. I'm on an iPad Air with WiFi also and haven't gotten a nil result yet. I'll keep trying my test project throughout this evening and see if I get a bad output.
    Here's the code without enable, disable, and available that I've been using.

function setup() print(location.latitude) print(location.longitude) end function draw() background(40,40,50) fill(255) text("Latitude "..location.latitude,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2) text("Longitude "..location.longitude,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-50) text("Altitude "..location.altitude,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-100) text("Horz accur "..location.horizontalAccuracy,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-150) text("Vert accur "..location.verticalAccuracy,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-200) text("Speed "..location.speed,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-250) text("Course "..location.course,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-300) end
  • BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

I'm simply using:

function setup()
        location.enable()
        print(location.latitude,location.longitude)
    end

It will work for 30 seconds or so then I'll get a string of nil for a few minutes then it works again. Might be an issue with my ipad.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Have you tried turning location services off for Codea, run your code, turn the services back on and try again. I have tried running my test several times, closing the project, loading it and running, closing Codea, loading/running the project, but I still haven't seen a nil yet. The only nil's are when I turn Codea's location services off.

I've been using location since it came on board, and haven't seen the nil returns. However, I'm using GPS.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 bullet only works when continuous is enabled, and bullet tells the physics system that the object will be moving very fast, so it will perform a more optimal sweep test for fast moving objects.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Briarfox I ran my code over 80 times and haven't received a nil value for location info. Just wondering if location services is having trouble getting the info and not passing it on. Thanks @Simeon for the explanation.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Sorry, seems that my location issue was specific to a single wifi network.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Don't take my responses as a bad thing, I figure this is what you want from me. I'm trying to be honest for my use and to anticipate what the other users might also think. I might be wrong about what others like but the final result is up to you.

Codea 2.0 NEW - Adjustable numbers are back in. Touch-and-hold on a number to activate the feature. @@@ I try not to use this. I find it more of a pain than useful. A lot of times I touch the screen and change numbers by accident. IMPROVEMENTS - User projects are sorted by “last opened” date. Big change. Let me know if it’s better for you. @@@ As is, it's not useful for me. I open a lot of projects just to look for something, not because I was working on it. If there was a toggle button to flip between "last opened" or "sorted" then that would be a lot more useful. FIXES - Number precision in print() increased (@dave1707) @@@ A lot better. I noticed that math functions ( print(math.sqrt(2)) ) print 13 digits right of the decimal, and print values ( print(1/13) ) show 15 digits. Just wondering. - Asset picker refreshes when using saveImage (@dave1707) @@@ Works great. - Raised touch target for popover keys by 20 points (@dave1707) @@@ I think it can be increased more so your finger doesn't have to be so close to the key bottom to highlight it. - Lifting finger from the magnifying loupe should be less likely to change position (@dave1707) @@@ This seems to be a lot better. Will let you know once I start doing more editing, but that will take more time. - Tapping the caret movement key moves between lines (@Andrew_Stacey) @@@ Not sure what this means, so I couldn't give a quick test. - Tapping the text selection keys works again (@Andrew_Stacey) @@@ Not sure what this means so I couldn't give a quick test.

New sorting projects by last opened is super useful. =D>
    Thanks!

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,542

@Simeon I'm sorry but I really do not like the new project list. I've always added "00" to my libraries and other projects that I include in a project to make them easier to find (at the front of the list). With the current system it is rather difficult to find my libraries and include them into a project. Since they are no longer alphebatical, it takes a long time to find them when you have a large number of project. Maybe we could make it an option? Or if possible allow projects to be pinned to the front of the list.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I started playing with the editor more and I'm seeing strange things. I was in landscape mode and I was changing something near the top of the screen. I brought up the keyboard, made the change, and closed the keyboard so I could see all the code. When the keyboard disappeared, so did the code where the keyboard was. I tried scrolling the code, but the missing code didn't show. I closed the project and reopened it to get the code back.

Another thing I noticed was when I was trying to insert some blank lines by pressing return. The cursor moved down the code, but it wasn't inserting any blank lines. The blank lines finally showed up when I scrolled the code.

I then tried to delete the blank line by using backspace, but the cursor moved up the screen without removing the blank lines. I'm also seeing 2 lines showing on the same line when I try to delete lines and then scroll the code.

I'll keep playing around with this.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I can't get the above problem to happen all the time, but I did get it to happen again. I'm not sure what the condition is that causes it, but I'm working on it.

I can see something similar to what Dave is describing, rather annoying.

• BortelsBortels Mod

opinion, nothing more - sorting projects by recent activity is better than alpha, unless you're looking for a particular one. Better still would be adding a toggle (maybe change "projects" to "projects (recent)") that would alter the sort. Tap "projects (recent)" to change to "project (alphabetical)" to... yeah, that's probably sufficient. That, or have the magnifying glass pop-up always be alpha.

Ditto what dave said with disappearing lines and what-not.

I'd also prefer alphabetical listing, maybe with a fast switch between the two most recent projects (ie the current one and the one before).