Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.0 Beta

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

I've seen the missing lines quite often, but I can't reproduce the correct sequence that makes it happen. I've even had it happen after I closed a running program. It went back to the editor but the code was missing from line 16 on down. The lines appeared when I scrolled the code.

Going back to the alpha listing, I think the alpha listing should be on the main screen and the most recent when viewed using the magnifying glass. When viewed with the magnifying glass, you can always key in a name in the search area.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I think it's related to the number adjustment stuff — I'll remove that as it doesn't seem useful for most people.

@Briarfox would a pinning mechanism solve your problems relating to a date-sorted project list? I was also thinking of allowing projects to be designated as "Library" projects, which would then go into a special section.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon Pinning or a Library section would be perfect and solve my concerns. I do like the sorting by last opened, especially if I am working between two projects.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I create test projects numbered 01, 01a, to 09 etc to keep them at the beginning of the projects list. After I'm done with them (posted as examples) then I delete them. If I can't see them in alpha order, that makes it harder to pick an open numbered name. So my request is to have at least one of the lists in alpha order.

+1 pinning mechanism. No need for folders now. :)

@Simeon, seems like a good solution would be the ability to toggle between the two, as well as pinning.

Perhaps not in 2.0, but in the future i'd really like to see folders and free arrangment.

@Simeon having editor problems with the new version. Editor not adding new lines, and typing is overwriting rather than inserting. Can't seem to stop it

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I'm getting weird behavior with my bluetooth keyboard. CMD+v will sometimes stop pasting. Usually if I drop down a line it will paste. Other time I have to close the project. If I open another app I can paste like normal.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Briarfox + 1 : I was about to paste the CMD+v problem. It hardly ever works.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Briarfox has this only started in the latest build?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon It happened before but I thought it was my keyboard. It recently stopped working. Rebooting codea doesn't fix it. So I thought my keyboard was going bad, but it works fine in all other apps.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Simeon - hard for me to say, but recently, yes

I'm also seeing an issue where I switch tabs but the code doesn't change until I scroll up and down a few times.

• toffertoffer Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 151

I like the sorting by recent acivity, it does not mess with finding a specific project since we have the search option, but I also like to order by myself (project prefix). What about the possiblity to add keywords to projects, we could use it for sorting the project list and keep things organized ? In the first time we could define them with the saveProjectData command.
    Btw, not a big annoyance, Alt+arrows sometimes does not work before a certain delay or closing reopening a project, and the comment block clear the selected text instead of commenting it.

• Moving the cursor beyond the end of the line: perfect.
    • Tap-to-select number: still goes over commas, also found out that it doesn't include minus signs (so -1,0,0,0 gets the 1,0,0,0 selected).
    • Tapping the selection button: perfect.
    • Moving the selection using the selection button (ie by touch-and-drag) is still a bit random for me as to whether or not it activates (most of the time it doesn't). Is there some incantation I'm supposed to cast before it will work?

I think the order by activity is the best feature yet. :)

How about order by activity in main view, and alphabetic order in the vertical search list? I most often use the search list when finding a project starting with a letter, and have projects with strange 00-names to fake a most recent list..

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon It been about a week now and my project list is in a totally useless order. It might as we'll be listed in random order. I don't work on one or two projects for days, weeks, or months at a time. I work on whatever someone on the forum has a problem with. I copy their code to a test project beginning with a number to keep it at the front of the list. My projects ( some 325+ ) are named for what they do. For example mesh1, mest2, sprite1, sprite2, etc. I scroll to them and open them looking for existing code that I can use. I would say I open more projects in one day then the majority of casual users do in a month. Sure I can do a search by name and see them, but once I open it, see that it's not what I want, close it, I then have to bring up the search list again to find the next one. All this so someone who's working on one or two projects can keep them at the beginning of a short list of projects. It's not my decision how this will turn out, just my $1.25 worth of opinion on how I use the project list. And the way my list is now is useless. It will just keep getting more random as I open more projects to look for snippets of code.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 505

I must say that the editor is just crazy in the current release, so many strange things happen. :)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I think we'll have to include a toggle between alphabetical / by date. But either option is not a good solution for that many projects

My initial thought for the project browser screen was to have an "auto archive" option enabled by default. Any projects not opened within the last month would be moved to the archive section. The archive section would be available as a button next to the search button that brought up a full-screen grid view of all projects, sorted by name or date, and searchable. This would keep them main project area free of older projects, but allow reasonably quick access to everything.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@tnlogy does the editor only behave strangely if you use the number adjust popups, or does it behave strangely without ever touching them?

Quite often the screen doesn't update when I switch tabs, and quite often when using return I don't get a new line, it just jumps into the code below. Similar behaviour when removing an empty line with backspace. Something strange seems to have happened with the editor.

The text in the editor area is just mixed up and sometimes missing. Closing the project and opening it again fixes the issue.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon A toggle would be a perfect solution for me. Also mentioned was pinned. I have a few projects that I would like to pin at the beginning of the list, but I don't want to put numbers on them and get them mixed up with test projects that I delete. A solution for a lot of my projects would be folders, but I'm not sure that's an option. Folders listed by alpha or date, and projects in the folders shown by alpha or date.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 3,297

Hi. I have not tried the new codea yet. But i can see this huge discussion about project order.
    May i just say the following (although not politically correct, sorry): the all-in-a-row project list was really painful. Then i designed XFC. I am probably the only one to use it, but the save-in-folders process of XFC is just pefect for me. I save everthing through it. I have everything i need, where i need it, with the name i need, at the line i need it. I spend just 5 seconds to access any of my projects. Full stop.
    That is the saving process i would favor. Just like what you have on a PC. I assume it is a guideline of Apple to put everything in a row, because so many apps do this, but i really dont see any user benefit for this. Unless you have 20 projects. I have 400. Just my 1.50€.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Just a note, the dependencies list is also in date order.

@dave1707, I assume both call the same function to get the order.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 5,417

Is the editor weirdness gone for everyone?

@Andrew_Stacey does the number selection feel better in this release?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I cant use CMD+v at all now.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Briarfox I'll look into it. I wonder if it's related to the other shortcuts (CMD+R et al.).

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I haven't seen the blank lines yet or the other things associated with it. I'll be messing around with the editor more this evening. The number selection is a lot better. It also includes the - sign on negative numbers. I also like the numbers not changing just because I touched them by mistake.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon In the example below, I can double tap the 3, and the -150 and they highlight individually OK. But if I double tap the -100, the highlight also includes HEIGHT.

vec2(WIDTH/3-150,HEIGHT-100)

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,542

@Simeon New bug. On my large Library project the function setup() is removed every time I run it or switch tabs. I've backed out of the project and back in but it's still gone. I have to add it back in to get a single run before it's gone.

Edit: It just stopped deleting itself.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Briarfox - maybe you need more sleep ;)

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Simeon - it may be too late to suggest this, but I think you could resolve the whole issue of how to organise projects, by using a folder system like that in Pages

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By-wnjsdtus1TXQtMG01bGtmSEk5TWc3dDB2eWJPVGxqWlI0/edit?usp=sharing

The big advantage is you could put all the demo projects in one folder, and we could put our library projects in another folder, and so on. At the moment, a big problem is you can only see a handful of projects at a time, and a lot of scrolling is required.

I personally don't think that folders should be organized like they are in Pages. I personally think that you should be allowed to scroll vertically to new folders. But adding the folders option is not that easy, the way Codea is currently set up. If you look in the Documents folder with iExplorer, you'll see that everything is a flat file system. Everything is in one directory. That means that TLL would have to spend a lot of time either creating a new system to read extra data from the Info.plist files to see what folder it is in or creating a way to be able to convert the old file system to the new one. In addition, he has to manage creating a lot of extra UI aspects. In short, it's not a quick process. I don't quite know why I went about explaining that, but I did, so there it is. Anyways, I don't feel the need for folders anymore, but someone like @Ignatz and such who create all sorts of tutorials or is creating a new, awesome project every day would probably benefit from it a lot.
    Thanks!

Folder organization: If you do folders, I think they should be more like Zoyt says. Take how it is now, examples is one folder, rest are another. So keep this kind of UI, allow to scroll up and down and folders would be just lists. I think this would be pretty simple UI, and for directory hierarchy, could do folders in the hierarchy too no?

comment button on an empty line crashes the editor.
    editor more stable now.

z-level isn't working with recording. (Please can we have it for setContext as well!)

I have a great demo of quaternions to share if you get z-buffering to work with recording ...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Andrew_Stacey do you recall if z depth was working with recording in 1.5.5?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I ran a program that changed the z-level of sprites and the switching was seen in the video for version 1.5.5 . I did the same thing with version 2.0 and I could see the switch there also. Maybe I'm not doing what @Andrew_Stacey was trying.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I don't know if you've been reading the forum lately, but one of the coders deleted a project he was working on for weeks. I've also done that in the past, but I had a backup, so no big deal. New coders don't backup code. Would it be possible to require a two stage tap to delete a project. Press DELETE and the text changes to ARE YOU SURE, press that and the project is deleted. Or some other text, but require 2 presses.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 good idea, this has been on the list for a long time. I'll put it in.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I found another strange occurance. I'll try to describe how to make it happen.

1) load a small project that has 2 tabs 2) bring up the keyboard 3) press the search key 4) search for "end" or anything that's in both tabs 5) press the upper left triangle to close the search window 6) press search again to open the search window ( might have to hide/show keyboard) 7) hide the keyboard 8) scroll the search results

The name of both tabs stays in the search window as you scroll the search results.

I think that sequence shows the problem.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon I'm getting a small bug with autocomplete. If I start to type a word autocomplete shows up. If I manually type the word and use bluetooth arrow keys to move the carriage return the autocomplete word is still present. If I tab over the autocomplete word is inserted. This mainly happens when I type end and press up and tab. Again minor annoyance. I believe moving the carriage should clear autocomplete. It does clear if I touch to move the carriage.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Briarfox sorry about that bug, I was aware of it but wasn't sure how much it would affect bluetooth keyboard users. I don't have a way at present to determine when the cursor was moved via the arrow keys (instead of touch), but I'll look into it.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Simeon It's not a big deal, just reporting it. Any headway on the paste bug?

@Simeon I have a big project that shows the problem, but as yet my simpler examples do not.

However, there does appear to be a problem with meshes that don't have a shader when used in a program where other meshes do have a shader. My non-shadered meshes disappear. It might also be relevant that they also don't have a texture.

In my big project then I have isolated it to the following code:

local img = image(100,100)
    setContext(img)
    pushMatrix()
    popMatrix()
    setContext()

in that with that code then I get the bug and without it then I don't. But as yet I haven't isolated it into a standalone project.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Why does

print("qwerty\n")

show as qwerty... The "\n" at the end of a print statement prints three dots. It doesn't do that in 1.5.5.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Suggestion. Could you do something about the background color of the parameter boxes. For instance, the input area of parameter.text blends in with the color around it and it's hard to see the box area. Maybe put a border around it like parameter.action has.

print doesnt work unless inside setup or draw? cant just call it in the global scope.

shader lab crashes for me.