Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

File IO

edited February 2014 in General Posts: 1,255

Wondering if anyone has a version of lua io for Codea that supports append mode. Project I'm working on samples data every ten seconds, and I need to save it. Quickly runs into issues when I start trying to save thousands on records.

Tagged:

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Mark I'm not sure what info you're saving, but is it possible to read your file into a table at the start, add you new info to the table, then at the end write the table to the file.

@dave1707 I do save the info into a table as it's recorded, but I need to save it against the possibility if the user closing the program, battery failure, ios hiccup, or (surely not) a crash.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,542

Here's what I've used. It also supports reading and writing tables. It's from a few code snippets from the forums and some mods.

--# Main function setup() FileIO.write("test.txt","Hello World\n","a") str = FileIO.read("test.txt") print(str) end --# FileIO --FileIO FileIO = {} local Table = {} local path = os.getenv("HOME").."/Documents/" --[[Document --Function: FileIO.write(file,txt) --Parameters: -- file (string) File to save. ex. test.txt -- txt (string) String to save to file. -- m (string) Write mode. w - Write, a - append, r - read. --Return: --]] FileIO.write = function(file,txt,m) mode = m or "r" local f = io.open(path..file,mode) assert(f ~= nil) if type(txt) == "table" then -- local str = "##FORMAT: table\n"..Table.tostring(txt) local str = Table.tostring(txt) f:write(str) else f:write(txt) end f:close() print("File saved as: "..file) end --[[Document --Function: FileIO.read(file) --Parameters: -- file (string) File to read. ex. test.txt --Return: -- str (string) --]] FileIO.read = function(file) local f = assert(io.open(path..file,"r")) local t = f:read("*all") local res = Table.totable(t) f:close() if res then return res else return t end end --[[Document --Function: FileIO.readB(file) --Parameters: -- file (string) File to save. ex. test.txt --Return: -- t (string) --]] FileIO.readB = function(file) local hBinaryFile = io.open(FileIO..file, "rb"); local sBinaryContent = ""; if(hBinaryFile)then while(true)do local block = hBinaryFile:read(512); -- Read only 512 bytes per iteration if(not block)then break;end sBinaryContent = sBinaryContent..block break end hBinaryFile:close(); end local t = {} for i=1,sBinaryContent:len() do t[i] = sBinaryContent:byte(i) end return t end --[[Document --Function: FileIO.writeB(file,txt) --Description: Writes a binary file. --Parameters: -- file (string) File to save. ex. test.txt -- sBinaryContent (string) --Return: --]] FileIO.writeB = function(file,sBinaryContent) -- Now lets output it again. local hBinaryOutput = io.open(FileIO.path..file, "wb"); if(hBinaryOutput)then hBinaryOutput:write(sBinaryContent); --You could do it in parts, but oh. hBinaryOutput:close(); end end Table.val_to_str = function( v ) if "string" == type( v ) then v = string.gsub( v, "\n", "\\n" ) if string.match( string.gsub(v,"[^'\"]",""), '^"+$' ) then return "'" .. v .. "'" end return '"' .. string.gsub(v,'"', '\\"' ) .. '"' else return "table" == type( v ) and Table.tostring( v ) or tostring( v ) end end Table.key_to_str = function( k ) if "string" == type( k ) and string.match( k, "^[_%a][_%a%d]*$" ) then return k else return "[" .. Table.val_to_str( k ) .. "]" end end Table.tostring = function( tbl ) local result, done = {}, {} for k, v in ipairs( tbl ) do table.insert( result, Table.val_to_str( v ) ) done[ k ] = true end for k, v in pairs( tbl ) do if not done[ k ] then table.insert( result, Table.key_to_str( k ) .. "=" .. Table.val_to_str( v ) ) end end return "{" .. table.concat( result, "," ) .. "}" end Table.totable = function(self) local t = loadstring("return "..self) if t then return assert(t(),"Can not convert string to table.") end end
  • BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

The above code does not support append for tables, at least as in it wont be able to read it back. I'll have to add that in.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Mark The other thing you could do is write multiple files. If a file reaches a certain size, start writing to another file. When your done, combine the seperate files into a single one and remove the others. If there's a problem like you describe, then when you restart the program, if there are multiple files, combine them on startup.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 1,255

Found the solution by following the example of the file I/O in Log4Codea. Thanks, @brookesi.

If yours had easy storage / retrieval of tables, @Briarfox, it would be dead perfect.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Mark Thanks for posting that. For some reason I missed the "a+" for appending to a file. Or it went into my short term memory like a lot of other stuff I forget.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,542

@Mark The above code stores and retrieves tables very easily. It just can't append to the file with a table. It needs to overwrite the file.

tbl = {"filed1",field2="Codea rocks"}
    FileIO.write("test.tbl",tbl,"w")
    tbl = FileIO.read("test.tbl")
    print(tbl.field2)

• edited February 2014 Posts: 1,255

@Briarfox just noodling around... How about a PersistedTable class. Init it with the file info, then use it as a frame in place of normal table function.

Something along the lines of...

pTable = PersistedTable("myfile.txt")
    pTable.insert(myTable, aRecord)
    pTable.remove(myTable, 2)

with the PersistedTable class both handling normal table functions, and persistent storage. Plus a load function to restore a complete table.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Mark already working on it :)