Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Obj-c on ipad!

BriarfoxBriarfox Mod
edited March 2014 in General Posts: 1,542

@Cabernet found this and it's pretty neat.

Looks like we may have the ability to create a project in Codea export to dropbox and open it in Dringend to play with the obj-c and build the app to the device!

http://dringend.cc/

Comments

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

It looks like you connect it to a build server at home. The project is compiled on the build server and sent back to the ipad where it can be run. Seems like a great companion app for Codea!

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,820

Wow! I'm very, very, very skeptical that Apple will allow this, though. Let me go find the key rule that I think would make this app get blocked.
    Thanks!
    Edit: It seems that Apple may have removed this condition. Apple use to not allow users to dynamically create Cocoa elements. I'm sure Apple will find a way to reject it, but if it gets by... That would be amazing.
    Edit #2: You still need a Mac and internet connection to use this, but you can sill be on a separate wifi or using cellular service. Source: http://dringend.cc/constructor.html

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Zoyt yeah it was rejected once but apple agreed to re evaluate it. This would be awesome. I might have to jailbreak for it if apple denies it.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

@Briarfox thank you for discovering this.
    Let the first one who tries it inform the rest of us!

Amazing! Never again will I have to use my mac for Xcode :)

@Briarfox - I saw that, but I thought I had done enough edits. I don't think Apple will reject it, if there is anybody who reviews it who actually knows how it works.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@JakAttak you'd still need to use it to build the code. It looks like the app sends it to the mac, builds it and then installs on the ios device.

@Briarfox - I almost said that, and then I reread it. :/ He was just saying he doesn't need to be at it. He tweeted a few hours ago the new version is in review. If the review goes like it did before, it may take 2-3 days.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@time_trial pointed out that apple approved Dringend. However it doesn't work with 7.1 and the update has been submitted. It looks like we"ll be able to export from Codea into dropbox then open the project in dringend and play with the obj-c! We will need a mac connected to build the project which is then wirelessly installed on the ipad.

This seems like a great companion app for codea!

• edited March 2014 Posts: 182

I became a bit sad when i heard that it would need an mac to be able to compile. Darn apple, ruined my dreams. (i like doing things offline and on my iPad)

Now released and showing in the UK App Store. Haven't started my learning on Obj-C yet, and I mostly use Air Code anyway, so not picking this up myself yet. Will be interested to hear experiences and comparisons to Codea itself.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

I'll grab it. I can run a Mac as a build server at work. One step closer to never leaving my iPad.

I'm just waiting for the fabled 'iPad Pro' that will let me run both Codea and Xcode [-O<

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

I just need to get the codea file into dropbox unzipped.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 2,043

@Briarfox, something like good reader could do that for you I believe.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 182

@time_trial We've also got it here in Australia. Still debating as to whether or not to get it

@JakAttak - The DropBox app does the trick. BTW, use the app Documents. Much better than most other file managers.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

I can unzip it but the app usually wants to zip it to send it to Dropbox. Can't figure out how to send it to Dropbox unzipped.

@Briarfox - You can not send a file that is not compressed between apps. It's just the way it works. So you'll have to put it in DBox, then unzip it yhere. When I get to a computer, I'll post a bit more detail.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@zoyt I can easily log into my pc and unzip it but I'm trying to do it all from my iPad.

@Briarfox - I'm pretty confident that once you get the .zip into DropBox, you can tap on it to uncompress it, but I may be wrong (I don't have internet connection on my iPad right now). If that doesn't work, I have my VNC app, Screens, set up to access my remote Mac (or just your Mac, in your situation) so I can do things like create graphics, edit IB, Storyboard files, SpriteKit particle emitters, etc.
    Edit: Another possibility is to use Documents, a free app (which is the best file manager I've seen so far), which I know for sure can uncompress .zip files. It can also connect to DropBox and my other services. I tend to make the most of my iPad while I save up for my laptop. I think I might create a quick video on how to set up an app completely on my iPad.

clarification- Wouldn't you still need to put in xcode to archive and submit it?

@jrohanian - Yes. All that Dringend does is edit code and distribute it to your device. It doesn't let you do a lot of other things that you need Xcode for.

@Briarfox - That's so weird that DropBox can not uncompress .zip files. Anyways, just use Documents.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Zoyt will documents then import the unzipped project back into dropbox?

@Briarfox - Not quite sure what you mean, but Documents can work as a DropBox manager. I managed to uncompress a file and put it on DropBox with it just now.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@zoyt thanks I'll try it out, i was using izip but it re zips it when sending it to dropbox.

@Zoyr Documents 5 by Readdle? I think that's the one you mean. (If it isn't, look at it. It's amazing.)

• toffertoffer Mod

@Briarfox - a bit late, but if I well remember, you have Textastic, it handle unzipping file, download and upload to Dropbox. Also I've stumbled around cloudconvert.org, awesome file convertion / packing / unpacking and direct upload download from Dropbox/GD, limited to 100 files for unpack. And they have REST services, if some folks want to write a Codea bridge to it...

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@toffer I know nothing about REST but its time to learn!

• toffertoffer Mod

@Briarfox - In this case it's nothing else than sending json data over http requests. :)

Textastic is great

@SkyTheCoder - You misspelled my name, so I didn't get the notification. Yes, that's the one. I've been a long time user.