Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bug when resetting new chain where it doesn't register

edited July 2014 in General Posts: 134

So I was trying to simulate tiny wings and got pretty far..but I needed to make the chain loop is when the track runs out it just resets...however the second physics chain doesn't register as a global value...immediately after I initialiseit the print debug reports 'nil' as if it doesn't exist. And the table method for writing the chain is working fine: that's printed out and all so t he chain has something's wrong with it...anyways can you guys kindly look over my coding and help me out? You'll see the problem after you run it..

For those of you who haven't heard of tiny wings: randomised track with different elevations of up hills and downhills. Touching the screen increases the gravity of the object you play as, not touching decreases it. There's a minimum velocity that the ball must travel at...

function setup() iteration = 0 scrx, scry = 0,0 tab1, tab2 = {},{} tab1 = makeNewChain() makeChain() backup = slopes ball = physics.body(CIRCLE,10) ball.x = 110 ball.y = 500 ball.restitution = .01 end function makeChain() slopes = physics.body(CHAIN, false, unpack(tab1)) end function draw() background(253, 3, 106, 255) moveScreen() -- c1 = physics.body() if math.floor(ball.x) > (3600 * iteration )-120 - WIDTH/2 then -- -WIDTH/2 then tab2 = tab1 tab1 = makeNewChain() makeChain() backup = slopes end if(toucheds == true) then ball.gravityScale = 2 else ball.gravityScale = .3 end -- local prevX, prevY = 0,math.sin(math.rad(0)) * 50+ 200 for a,b in pairs(tab1) do -- stroke(255, 255, 255, 255) -- strokeWidth(2) noStroke() ellipse(b.x,b.y,25) end for a,b in pairs(tab2) do -- stroke(255, 255, 255, 255) --strokeWidth(2) ellipse(b.x,b.y,25) end strokeWidth(3) ellipse(ball.x,ball.y,ball.radius*2) -- print(tab1[360].y.."=yval") if(ball.linearVelocity.x <100) then ball:applyForce(vec2(50,0)) end end function moveScreen() if ball.x > WIDTH/2 - scrx then scrx = -ball.x + WIDTH/2 end if ball.x < WIDTH/2-scrx then scrx = -ball.x + WIDTH/2 end if ball.y < WIDTH/8 - scry then scry = -ball.y + WIDTH/2 end if ball.y > WIDTH/8 - scry then scry = -ball.y + WIDTH/2 end translate(scrx, scry) --if(ball.y >) end function touched(t) if t.state == BEGAN or t.state == MOVING then toucheds = true else if t.state == ENDED then toucheds = false end end end function makeNewChain() local tab = {} local yInt = 200 local amp = {} count = 1 for a =0,20 do amp[a] = math.random(20,100) -- print(amp[a].x) end for a = (3600*iteration), 3600 * (iteration+1),10 do if iteration > 0 and a == 3600 * iteration then yInt = tab1[360].y - math.cos(math.rad(a)) * amp[(a - 3600*iteration)/180] end if a == 0 + (3600*iteration) then count = 1 end if(a %180 == 0 and a > (3600*iteration)) then count = count + 1 yInt = tab[a/10 - (3600*iteration) -1].y - math.cos(math.rad(a)) * amp[(a - 3600*iteration)/180] -- print(yInt) end tab[a/10 - 3600*iteration] = vec2(a - (12*count) -240*iteration, math.cos(math.rad(a)) * amp[math.floor((a-3600*iteration)/180)] + yInt) end iteration = iteration + 1 print("new CHAIN") return tab end

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Invad3rZIM In the makeNewChain function, the second time you make a chain, the size of tab is 0. It doesn't look like you're creating it correctly.

@dave1707 how would you fix that?

@david figured it out :) thank you!!

@Invad3rZIM Please try and keep all of this in one thread, I believe a little while ago you were asking for tiny wings help in a different discussion. If you could just keep all your questions about making Tiny Wings in that discussion, it would make the forum less cluttered. Thanks.