Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta 2.1 (1)

Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
edited August 2014 in Beta Posts: 3,295

the X to close the project from editor, on bottom left, is gone. Change.... grrr... Closing on top left is... uneasy for me.
[edit] lets wait and see if others complain too.

Comments

I never use the X, the little arrow has always been more appealing.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited July 2014 Posts: 3,295

Editor Bug:

Still the old bug: a tab with 30 lines, write text, the tab titles disappear, remove keyboard, the tab titles cannot be brought back...

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited July 2014 Posts: 3,295

Question:

So the new text asset is a simpler way to access text files than io.open? Plus provides dropbox sync? Or did i miss something?

I agree with Jmv that the x should stay, I never use the arrow and find the x more convenient.

Is the setContext bug fixed in this version?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited July 2014 Posts: 5,054

@Jmv38 Sorry about removing the lower X button — I felt it was redundant, having two buttons on screen that essentially do the same thing. Is this something you feel strongly about?

The text assets provide an API that is consistent with other assets. As well as the ability to edit plain text files directly in Codea (press the little pencil icon in the asset picker).

@JakAttak the performance, or something else? We will be dealing with the performance in this version. Not done yet.

• edited July 2014 Posts: 2,820

This may be on purpose, but it seems that there is extra space below things printed to the console. And the new tab bar is welcome improvement.
    The other thing, which might just be a personal preference, but the color of the run triangle seems odd when the run button is being held down (when the keyboard is showing). The background color matches all the other neutral buttons, where the icon color is white. If what I just said, doesn't make sense (it's hard to explain), LMK.

• edited July 2014 Posts: 2,820
    • The "Add to" and "Delete" buttons should be disabled if there are no items selected int he assets.
    • The slider to show the sidebar in the plain text editor should show when you tap on it, instead of making you drag it. Or you might try giving it a bounce effect when it's tapped, similar to the way to when you tap the iOS 7 lock screen or the camera on the bounce screen.
    • Tapping and holding on the tab icon puts the unindent button at the top of the screen, which seems out of place. (All the other things that you can tap and hold on places the icons weirdly too.)
    • Are themes purposely excluded form the plain-text editor? It'd be nice to have a dark theme for plain text.
    • Tapping the colin button gives me a semicolon.
      Keep in mind that some of these issues may be due to iOS 8, so sorry if that's the case.
      Also, just a quick idea for a feature, project favoriting. This would do 2 things: First, it'd always be pinned as the first project on the project browser. Second, it could be launched from a notification center widget (in iOS 8). Just a quick idea, I don't know how easy it'd be for you.
      Edit: With the new iCloud API coming in iOS 8, I'd love to see the ability to work with assets in other apps too. That way, one could use Textastic for JSON or HTML things that they're rendering with Lua. It might also allow for better automation. Just an idea.
      Thanks!

@Simeon, yes I meant the performance. glad to hear you're on the case :)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt great feedback, thank you. The popup keyboard keys sounds like an iOS 8 issue (that I'll need to fix), the rest sound like iOS 7+ bugs.

I've considered project favouriting. I have a number other ideas in mind: project collections, marking a project as library, and pinning/favouriting. I like the idea of a notification center widget too.

I spoke to some people at Apple re. CloudKit for Codea, and it sounds like I'll have to put it into review before they tell me whether or not it will be allowed. So I'm unsure on that right now.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    edited August 2014 Posts: 3,295

Bug.

when i run this

function setup()
        print("Hello World!")
        readText("Documents:test")
        content = "hello"
        saveText("Documents:test",content)
    end

then nothing is written in Documents:test when i inspect it from the asset explorer?
    [edit] it does work when i save in another document. Maybe i messed up when i created 'test', but it doesnt show. (i created test first forgotting to write 'Documents:' before. Then i renamed it 'test' from the editor.)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@jmv38 thanks for spotting that. I think it's a file extension issue. Will fix.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Old bugs.

still not repaired (and still quite annoying):
    - the video record does not work.
    - when recording, the touch does not work

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bad:
    not a real bug, but:
    - in codea home screen.
    - tap to open left panel.
    - tap content.
    - tap documents.
    - scroll to a text asset, tap the pencil to edit.
    - tap close.
    - we are back to codea home screen, while we should be back to document folder

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

About the [X]:

After some use, i confirm my first impression:
    - being right handed, the [<] in top left is painful (i've already got arm pain due to the ipad keyboard, this is not going to help).
    - actually, the best position for a right handed person would be bottom right, close to the [>], (but not too close! there is room for that in the bottom bar).
    - But you should leave the [<] where it is for left handed people.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited August 2014 Posts: 5,054

Just a note that the next version, 2.1 (2), enables the experimental threaded renderer that @Dylan has been working on.

It's pretty cool but also a very big change so I'm hoping to get your feedback on how it goes.

@Simeon I can't get the buttons to re-appear after a triple-tap when using the full screen, no buttons mode in 2.1(2). Artifact of the separate thread?

@Simeon both FULLSCREEN and FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS seem to be returning odd values for screen size, as if the sidebar is still being deducted from available space.

• edited August 2014 Posts: 2,042
    • supportedOrientations() is not working

• I can't move tabs around anymore unless I am currently editing that tab

• Closing, opening and running projects all seem to take longer than before

• When I pause I get the message: "Error: Game frame time has exceeded [something]. skipping frame"

• I am able to exit out during an infinite loop

• same as @Mark with the sizes, but it seems to fix itself during draw

@jakattak My problem is that I'm capturing screen sizes during setup, then using those sizes in calculating the scaling of elements. Which means I have incorrect values from which I build my layout. Same issue as you on SupportedOrientations().

• edited August 2014 Posts: 2,820

It seems that WIDTH is incorrect in the setup function (it's showing the with in the normal mode). I think that's what @Mark was saying. Also, when creating a project the "Create" button seems to be going outside of the view.
    I also fell like there should be confirmation that the project icon was set. I press the button, and it just disappears. Just my opinion.
    It might also be nice to have a way to remove the project icon.
    When exporting the project, the icon is also not automatically set, while it seems like it should.
    Thanks!

It might also be nice to be able to rename assets, especially text files.
    The other thing is that it might also be nice to have a loading indicator when exiting a view, since it takes up to 10 seconds, resulting in the user constantly tapping the back button with no result.
    Just my opinion, again.
    Thanks!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Mark sounds like a bug with the new threaded renderer, we'll need to fix the WIDTH and HEIGHT during setup. Same goes for triple tap.

@JakAttak supportedOrientations() is a bug, we'll have to work to restore the old behaviour (although in iOS 8 we may need to deprecate the whole API anyway).

@Zoyt does it take up to 10 seconds in the new version? Or was it always this long? Does it only happen on particular projects? Good idea on including the icon for export. The "Create" button issue is an iOS 8 thing I'll need to fix (shouldn't happen on 7)

The pausing thing is interesting — did you pause in the middle of a long computation? At the moment the pause button attempts to wait until the next frame, otherwise it will force the frame to get dropped if it takes too long (which is why you see the error message). I think this aspect needs a bit of polish and we have a few ways to go with the pause button:

• Pause always waits until the next frame to stop (this means if you have an infinite loop, pause will do nothing)
    • Pause has a time out until it forces the frame to stop (this means that it's possible to put your code in an invalid state, if you are in the middle of a lengthy loop computing something and pause, and it doesn't finish, the loop will be stopped half way through)
    • Pause has a time out, but asks you if you want to force pause if it's taking too long

@JakAttak when you say opening and running projects is slower, is it the opening in the text editor, or when you press play?

@Simeon, it is both opening and running

for pause, I think option three seems the best.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Great:

video recoding working back again! Wooohoooo!

Bug:

video record length always indicate 00:00.

Bug:

The first time i saved the video i had an error message (timout something) and the program stopped. However i could not reproduce it.

Bug:

As others: Width is wrong so it bugs my programs, that worked fine before.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

i tried to run cargo-bot built in project in lanscape mode. Really act weird. And doesnt work.

Great:

good to see the [X] is back.

Suggestion.

Now that the X is there, it makes double usage with the [<] on top left. And when from my project i want to get the built in doc there is no button. I must 1/ bring the keyboard, 2/ tap the eye button, 3/ hide the keyboard if i want to browse the doc. Or 1/ leave the project, 2/ tap the top left >, 3/ reopen my project 4/ go back to my tab.
    None of this is very handy, is it? So i suggest to use the top left [>] to open the doc from the project (as it does from codea screen).

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Jmv38 but then you would need to hide the keyboard to exit your project, this is the reason the '<' button was introduced in the first place. I agree that there could be more easy access to the docs, though.

Thank you for all the bug reports.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Great:

very nice to make the project icon from screenshot. The text showing in the choice popup should be more readable, though.

Question:

where is this image saved? How big is it? How can it removed from memory?
    Thanks!

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Any idea when the width/height will be repaired? I cant really work on my programs with this problem. If it is more than a few days, i'll revert back to released version to be able to work...

@Jmv38, most of my elements are Width and Height based, so I had to fix it myself

1) Copy this code:

_displayMode = displayMode
    function displayMode(mode)
        local fl, fs, sl, ss = 1024, 768, 749, 493
        if mode == OVERLAY or mode == FULLSCREEN or mode == FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS then
            if CurrentOrientation == PORTRAIT or CurrentOrientation == PORTRAIT_UPSIDE_DOWN then
                WIDTH, HEIGHT = fs, fl
            else
                WIDTH, HEIGHT = fl, fs
            end
        else
            if CurrentOrientation == PORTRAIT or CurrentOrientation == PORTRAIT_UPSIDE_DOWN then
                WIDTH, HEIGHT = ss, fl
            else
                WIDTH, HEIGHT = sl, fs
            end
        end

_displayMode(mode)
    end

2) Create a blank file (call it whatever, I did DisplayMode)

3) Move the newly created tab to be the furthest left tab (very first)

4) Place the copied code in this tab

This will force the correct WIDTH and HEIGHT values

@Simeon, AirCode is broken in iOS 8 - it crashes Codea once you go to the address on your computer

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Jmv38 we're working on the displayMode / supportedOrientations issue. Hopefully fixed over the weekend.

@JakAttak thanks for letting me know about the iOS 8 issue. Looks like there are quite a few.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

thanks @jakattak & @Simeon

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug.

when trying to save a 2'20" video i had this message:

error: Game frame time exceeded. Skipping frame.

but the saving worked.

Great.

it seems that the video recod now at 60Hz (speed is jot /2 any longer)

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

sound() kills codea when i touch the () to pick a sound.

Bug:

looks like CC doesnt work properly

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @Jmv38 - fixed the sound() issue. How is CC not working properly?

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

@Jmv38 What issues are you having with CC?

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

CC: i tried to run various project with the rocket, but they all failed, with an error. Finally one worked, so maybe it is normal.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

when i stop some project with a shader i get this error:

error: Game frame time exceeded. Skipping frame.

it doent really matter, because this is when closing the project, but i though you should know.

@Simeon, when I take a screenshot and then I hit save, or set icon, it dismisses the popup. What if I wanted to set it as the icon AND save it?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak good point. Do you think that is often the case?

@Simeon, I found myself wanting to do it earlier, because I took a screenshot (intending to save it) and decided to set it as the icon because it was nice, then I was unable to save it.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

@JakAttak but cant you take the screenshot once again?

@Jmv38, not with fast moving objects, etc.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug (in error management)

i try to use http.request and i get this error:

error: attempt to call a nil value

it doesnt say the line number so i dont know where the error is!

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

restart() kills codea. I dont know how it was with previous versions.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Bug:

i get a strange behavior with dependancies:
    - i have a dependancy to my buttons library.
    - my program creates buttons with it.
    - it work fine.
    - if i deselect the dependancy, then the program wont run. No error, no warning. It just wont run... Then i cant debug it, i dont know what it doesnt like?

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

Editor bug:

the color() sometimes is recognized as a color, and shown, and sometimes not. Example:

local rectStyleEmpty = {fill=color(0,0,0,0) } --<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< here GOOD
    local w,h,dx,dy = 100,100,20,20

local function firstButton(screen,name,txt)
        local b = Button(name,nil,nil,w,h)
        b.txt:setStyle(txtStyle)
        b.txt:setText(txt)
        b.rect:setStyle(rectStyle)
        if txt == "empty" then b.rect:setStyle({fill=color(0,0,0,0)}) end --<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< here BAD
        b:addTo(screen)
        return b
    end

• toffertoffer Mod
    edited August 2014 Posts: 151

The plain-text editor and access shader lab within editor are great features

However, may I suggest for a better dev/testing workflow:

suppose I am editing a level descriptor with the plain-text editor, I have to bring up the asset picker > browse for the asset (retrieve it if it was already set) > edit the file > close the plain-text editor > run, and so on... Same case for the shader lab.

So, is it possible to have a button to run the viewer within the assets editors and when going back, auto-magicaly return to the last editor/asset currently edited ? And for the dessert, if an asset was already set, bring up the asset picker at the correct location with the asset outlined ?

Pre 2.1 little annoyances
    - Can't only change the letter case when renaming a tab (have to fill a temp name, save and re-edit for the new name)
    - Block comment button sometimes erase the selected text, often when the text was selected from bottom to top
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Jmv38 thanks for the bug reports. Is the dependency one new? (Do you know if it happened in older versions?)

Thanks for your feedback @toffer. Good point about the asset editing workflow. Will fix the tab case issue and block comment one.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

dependency: i dont know if this is new.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
    Editor bug:

this code is all green in my ipad. It should not be?

-- MySite

-- model:
    --[[TITLE: xxxxxxxx]]

local function getInnerText(str,before,after)
        local a,b,c,d
        a,b = string.find(str, before, 1, true)
        if b then c,d = string.find(str, after, b+1, true) end
        local subStr
        if b and c then
            subStr = string.sub(str,b+1,c-1)
        end
        return subStr
    end

it is ok if i put a return before the ]]