Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving Sprites On Screen

edited August 2014 in Questions Posts: 145

I am trying to scroll move clouds across the screen. I keep an array of their positions and keep shifting it. When a cloud goes off the screen I remove it from the array and add it to the end of the array as a new cloud. However, my code is very jerky and glitchy. Could someone help me figure out why?

displayMode(FULLSCREEN) supportedOrientations(PORTRAIT_ANY) function setup() clouds = {} cloudsx = {} cloudsy = {} end function draw() background(160, 79, 79, 255) drawclouds() end function drawclouds() if clouds[1]==nil then --Generate Clouds for i=0,30 do c = math.random(0,2) x = WIDTH*1.1 --Which Cloud clouds[i]=c --X position cloudsx[i]=x-200*i --y position cloudsy[i]=math.random(HEIGHT/1.65,HEIGHT/1.5) end end --draw clouds scale(1.35) print(cloudsx[1]) for i=1,8 do --scroll cloud cloudsx[i]=cloudsx[i]-6 --display different types of clouds if (clouds[i]==0)then sprite("Platformer Art:Cloud 1",cloudsx[i],cloudsy[i]) end if (clouds[i]==1)then sprite("Platformer Art:Cloud 2",cloudsx[i],cloudsy[i]) end if (clouds[i]==2)then sprite("Platformer Art:Cloud 3",cloudsx[i],cloudsy[i]) end --find greatest x coordinate if a cloud gr=0 for i=1,8 do if(cloudsx[i]>gr)then gr=cloudsx[i] end end --if a cloud is off the screen the make it follow the farers cloud to the rigt if(cloudsx[i]<-400 )then cloudsx[i]=gr+200 end end scale(1/1.5) end
Tagged:

Comments

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Try taking the print statement out of draw

• I discovered I created 30 sprites instead of 8 in the beginning which messed up my whole loop.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

to avoid this kind of pb, this is a better way to code it:

for i=1,#clouds do