Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keyboard input questions

edited February 2012 in Questions Posts: 2

I am developing a crystallographic program and need to get user input. The input that I need includes the lengths of the crystal axes and the angles between the axes. These numbers are precise, and the parameter sliders are awkward to use for exact numbers.
I think that I would like to use the keyboard. Also, I would like to be able to fill in some values, and let the user change them. For example, once the user puts in the value for the length of the x axis, I would like to use that number to fill in the values of the y and z axes, but let the user change the values if he needs to. I would also put in a default right angle between the axes, but allow it to be changed.

I found Stacey's vector UI, but I could not figure out how to get it into a codea project, so I don't know if it will do what I want.

I have three questions:

1. Is there a better input scheme than the one that I have outlined?
  2. Is the vector UI appropriate, or is there a better way to do what I want to do?
  3. How do I get the code (e.g. vector UI) into a project? I tried cut and paste, but I cannot "select" the vector UI code.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• If you found Stacey's page, he makes a few suggestions on apps to use to cut and paste his code at the bottom of his main page. I use IUnarchive Lite that Bortel mentioned.

As far as the rest direct numeric keyboard input sounds best.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 2

Thanks, ldpa41001. I had not read the bottom of Stacey's page. I was able to use GoodReader to cut and paste the code.

• An example of a "storage winch" calculation sheet with keyboard input and text.
    In the past I made several (a lot) of those calculations, but in Excel, including graphs.
    But now it is a lessons for me how to use Codea. You can see the "difference" amount of code for inputting/presentation of variables and the needed calculation.
    It is not finished, I want to make a pop-up window to save and read the variables.
    Yes, it can be better.
    Tap a value in the input field to change it. Use your iPad in Portrait mode.
    I used MAIN, class Input and class Output.
    Input and Output will follow, because the message was to long?

-- Use this function to perform your initial setup function setup()     displayMode(FULLSCREEN)          print("Hello World!")     watch("cycleTime")          textMode(CORNER)     fill(0, 0, 0, 255)     font("CourierNewPS-BoldMT")     fontSize(15)     dR = fontSize()+4          rLayer   = {}     lWinding = {}          n       = {}     n_Perc  = {}     M_Avail = {}     M       = {}     M_Perc  = {}     P       = {}          Input:init()               end -- This function gets called once every frame function draw()          background(187, 187, 181, 255)         local pi   = math.pi     local sqrt = math.sqrt     local rads = 2*pi/60           Input:var()          layers    = val1[2]     dCable    = val1[3]     pitch     = val1[4]     dDrum     = val1[5]     motors    = val1[6]     iTot      = val1[7]     effM      = val1[8]     gravity   = val1[9]          n_Motor   = val2[2]     M_Motor   = val2[3]     Vneeded   = val2[7]     load      = val2[8]          --Calculations Genaral     P_Motor  = rads * n_Motor * M_Motor/1000          Fneeded  = load * gravity     --Calculations Layers     for i = 1, layers do         if i == 1 then             rLayer[i] = dDrum/2 + dCable/2         else             rLayer[i] = rLayer[i-1] + sqrt(dCable^2 - (pitch/2)^2)         end                  lWinding[i] = (rLayer[i] * 2 * pi)/1000                  n[i] = Vneeded / lWinding[i] * iTot         n_Perc [i] = n[i] / n_Motor * 100                  M_Avail[i] = math.min((P_Motor*1000)/(rads*n[i]),M_Motor)         M[i] = ( Fneeded*rLayer[i]/1000)/(iTot*motors)*1000/effM         M_Perc[i] = M[i] / M_Motor * 100                  P[i] = rads * n[i] * M[i] / 1000              end          Output:var()             cycleTime = DeltaTime*1000     text(cycleTime,700,4)      end

Greetings, Dirk.nl

• Class Input

Input = class() function Input:init()     --Left Input Field     name1 = {}     name1[1]  = "--Winch--"     name1[2]  = "Layers:"     name1[3]  = "Cable Diam:"     name1[4]  = "Pitch of Rope:"     name1[5]  = "Drum Diam:"     name1[6]  = "Motors:"     name1[7]  = "Gearbox i:"     name1[8]  = "Mech Eff:"     name1[9]  = "Gravity:"     unit1 = {}     unit1[1]  = ""     unit1[2]  = ""     unit1[3]  = "[mm]"     unit1[4]  = "[mm]"     unit1[5]  = "[mm]"     unit1[6]  = "[x]"     unit1[7]  = ""     unit1[8]  = ""     unit1[9]  = "[m/s2]"          val1 = {}     val1[1]  = 0     val1[2]  = 34     val1[3]  = 50.8     val1[4]  = 52.4     val1[5]  = 1025.5     val1[6]  = 1     val1[7]  = 34.2840     val1[8]  = 0.95     val1[9]  = 9.81     frac1 = {}     frac1[1]  = "%0.2f"     frac1[2]  = "%0.0f"     frac1[3]  = "%0.2f"     frac1[4]  = "%0.2f"     frac1[5]  = "%0.2f"     frac1[6]  = "%0.0f"     frac1[7]  = "%0.4f"     frac1[8]  = "%0.2f"     frac1[9]  = "%0.2f"     --Right Input Field         name2 = {}     name2[1]  = "--Motor--"     name2[2]  = "Nom Speed:"     name2[3]  = "Torque (Nom):"     name2[4]  = "Power:"     name2[5]  = ""     name2[6]  = "--Needed--"     name2[7]  = "V wire:"     name2[8] = "Load:"     name2[9] = "F wire:"     unit2 = {}     unit2[1]  = ""     unit2[2]  = "[rpm]"     unit2[3]  = "[Nm]"     unit2[4]  = "[kW] (Calc)"     unit2[5]  = ""     unit2[6]  = ""     unit2[7]  = "[m/min]"     unit2[8] = "[Tonnes]"     unit2[9] = "[kN] (Calc)"     val2 = {}     val2[1]  = 0     val2[2]  = 1000     val2[3]  = 4774     val2[4]  = 0     val2[5]  = 0     val2[6]  = 0     val2[7]  = 126     val2[8] = 7     val2[9] = 0     frac2 = {}     frac2[1]  = "%0.2f"     frac2[2]  = "%0.2f"     frac2[3]  = "%0.2f"     frac2[4]  = "%0.2f"     frac2[5]  = "%0.2f"     frac2[6]  = "%0.2f"     frac2[7]  = "%0.2f"     frac2[8] = "%0.2f"     frac2[9] = "%0.2f"          i  = 0     a1 = 0     a2 = 0     buffer = "" end function Input:var()          local R1 = HEIGHT-10     local C1 = 10     local C2 = 200     local C3 = 35     local C4 = WIDTH/2+C1     local C5 = 200     local C6 = 35          x = CurrentTouch.x     y = CurrentTouch.y     z = CurrentTouch.state              text("Input Field:",C1,R1-dR)          --Left Input Field     for i = 1, #name1 do         row = R1 - dR*(i+2)         text(name1[i],C1,row)         int = math.floor(val1[i])         if val1[i] == 0 then             t = ""         else             t = string.format(frac1[i],val1[i])         end         text(t,C1+C2-textSize(int),row)         text(unit1[i],C1+C2+C3,row)                  if  x > C1 and x < C4 and y > row and y < (row+dR) and             val1[i] ~= 0 and a1 == 0 and a2 == 0 and z == BEGAN then             a1 = i         end         end     --Right Input Field     for i = 1, #name2 do         row = R1 - dR*(i+2)         text(name2[i],C4,row)         int = math.floor(val2[i])         if val2[i] == 0 then             t = ""         else             t = string.format(frac2[i],val2[i])         end         text(t,C4+C5-textSize(int),row)         text(unit2[i],C4+C5+C6,row)                  if  x > C4 and y > row and y < (row+dR) and              val2[i] ~= 0 and a2 == 0 and a1 == 0 and z == BEGAN then             a2 = i         end         end          --Left Input Field         if a1 > 0  then         showKeyboard()         buffer = keyboardBuffer()         text(name1[a1].. "?  "..buffer,150,R1-dR)                          function keyboard(key)             if string.byte(key) == 10 then                 if #keyboardBuffer() > 0 then                     val1[a1] = buffer                 end                 hideKeyboard()                 a1 = 0                                  end          end     end         --Right Input Field     if a2 > 0  then         showKeyboard()         buffer = keyboardBuffer()         text(name2[a2].. "?  "..buffer,150,R1-dR)                          function keyboard(key)             if string.byte(key) == 10 then                 if #keyboardBuffer() > 0 then                     val2[a2] = buffer                 end                 hideKeyboard()                 a2 = 0                                  end          end              end          R_end = R1 - math.max(#name1,#name2)*(dR) - dR*2           end function Input:touched(touch)     -- Codea does not automatically call this methodm end
  • Class Output

Output = class() function Output:init(x) end function Output:var()          local R1 = R_end - dR*2     local R2 = R1 - dR     local C1 = 10     local C2 = 110     local C3 = 210     local C4 = 310     local C5 = 410     local C6 = 510     local C7 = 610     local C8 = 710     --Header 1     text("Layer"  ,C1,R1)     text("n/motor",C2,R1)     text("n/motor",C3,R1)     text("M avail",C4,R1)     text("M/motor",C5,R1)     text("M/motor",C6,R1)     text("P/motor",C7,R1)          --header 2     text(""       ,C1,R2)     text(" [rpm]" ,C2,R2)     text("  [%]"  ,C3,R2)     text(" [Nm]"  ,C4,R2)     text(" [Nm]"  ,C5,R2)     text("  [%]"  ,C6,R2)     text(" [kW]"  ,C7,R2)        --Layer vars         for i = 1, layers do         row = R1 - dR*(i+1)         t = string.format("%0.0f", i)         text(t,C1+30-textSize(t),row)                  t = string.format("%0.2f", n[i])         text(t,C2+65-textSize(t),row)                  t = string.format("%0.2f", n_Perc[i])         text(t,C3+55-textSize(t),row)                  t = string.format("%0.2f", M_Avail[i])         text(t,C4+65-textSize(t),row)                  t = string.format("%0.2f", M[i])         text(t,C5+65-textSize(t),row)                  t = string.format("%0.2f", M_Perc[i])         text(t,C6+55-textSize(t),row)         t = string.format("%0.2f", P[i])         text(t,C7+60-textSize(t),row)     end     --General vars         val2[4]  = P_Motor     val2[9]  = Fneeded      end function Output:touched(touch)     -- Codea does not automatically call this method end