Codea Play

2»

Comments

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Gestures are good as long as there is a visible UI to back them up. Whatever we make has to be learned without reading any text, tutorials or knowing about the gestures.

• BortelsBortels Mod

I'm comfortable with "Viewing code on the iphone is crappy because it's a freaking iphone! Go get an ipad and buy Codea if you want to get into writing coding".

Having said that - pre-iPad, I read the entire Lord of the Rings on the iphone in Stanza. I think if the iPad Codea screen was simply shrunk to fit the iphone, it would be good enough. My fingers are already too big on the ipad :-), plus unlike Codea, which I've argued can be used for anything, the Codea Player editor is just for noodling around; if you want to "do it for real", get Codea.

I'm assuming Codea Player isn't a gesture of good will (only), but rather a way to introduce people to the awesome things you can make with Codea, and maybe encourage them to adopt the whole? I was going to say "and share your code with your friends", but we have heard my rant on that before...

• I probably missed this, but how do I apply for the competition? Do I just post in the Competition category or do I submit in some other manner?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@tstedt you just have to send your game to me somehow — email (you can use the address in the Credits->Send Feedback link in Codea), gist, pastebin, we'll try to run it on Saturday.

Making a competition thread is good too, that way you can share your progress.

• BortelsBortels Mod

@Simeon - I wonder if Apple would balk if you made a function to export a .codea file that's hardcoded to be sent to TLL? Presumably for debugging and bug reporting purposes, and for contest entries. (I actually wonder if they would balk if instead of .codea it was a .zip for backup - ie. do they care about export, or is it purely code import that has them bunched?)

Yeah, I know, like Apple returns calls...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Probably not, with Apple it's as much about the intention of the developer as it is about the functionality of the feature.

That's a very good suggestion on allowing users to send their projects to us for debugging and backup purposes.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 176

If the developers intention is to do good, then we should be able to share code between users. Your intention is good, right? :-D

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@jlslate I should have clarified: intention to break the policy :P

• beebee

Nice idea, @Bortels! @Simeon, please provide the feature, but make it "customizable" through .plist file or something. This way would enable advance users to modify the file (through iExprorer or something but without require jailbreaking) in order to be able to send it to other recipient (posterous for example).

• BortelsBortels Mod

Users who can access the documents via iExplorer or such wouldn't need it - they could simply copy the files.

• for custom sprite pack, really under 2 MB ? because I'm on a big project and just rules = 1,8 MB :-| (or more :-" )

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

It's just a guideline, @HyroVitalyProtago. If you absolutely need to go over then you can.

@Simeon Is any time tomorrow okay for submission, or is there a strict deadline?

@Simeon One other question: my game is able to run in either landscape or portrait, but I'd prefer it not to be able to switch partway through a game. Is there any way to do that kind of thing?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited February 2012 Posts: 5,054

Any time on Saturday (not sure if that's tomorrow for everyone).

Switching orientation partway through a game isn't recommended. There's no way to force iOS into one particular orientation (besides at startup). You can lock the orientation by calling supportedOrientations() — but it won't lock until after the user actually rotates into the orientation.

What are you trying to do by changing orientations partway through a game? Maybe there's another way.

• edited February 2012 Posts: 159

Sorry, I might not have explained very well. :)

• My game is playable in either landscape or portrait orientation.
    • So ideally, I'd use supportedOrientations to state that the game can run in either orientation.
    • However, the game breaks if the user rotates their device while playing (i.e. from landscape to portrait)

So what I'd like to be able to do is say 'this game can start up in either orientation, but is then locked to that orientation while you play'.

Is that any clearer?

What I did was

supportedOrientations(ANY)

in the code before any functions. Then in setup() I did

supportedOrientations(CurrentOrientation)

Works for me.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Ah I see @frosty. Yes, @jlslate's solution should work.

@jlslate Perfect! Thanks! :)

Hello again,
    2 things:

1. I created a fullscreen, any screen size friendly version of the physics test app (I included the printing statements so their drawn). Let me do the least touches and I'll send it and you can see if it will work on an iPhone.
    2. To test your Codea app on your iPhone, I suggest you eventually add FTP access to your iPad to be able to run the code in the iPhone.
      Thanks!

Any status on the development yet?

Any update available on a release date¿?¿

What's the status on Codea Play?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Still coming, but unfortunately a lot of the entries do not run on iPhone (and some, despite being brilliant on iPad, probably can't translate). So it will be a bit of work to get a good set of games to release with.

Simeon - I'd be happy to help convert some. I have a WIP that I ditched a while ago of the Physics Lab that has buttons for each level and a button to turn on or off the gravity. I made it because it looks cramped on the iPhone recording. I only need like 2 more lines of code. Would you like it? My help is at your disposal.
    Thanks!

• edited May 2012 Posts: 65

@Simeon - I don't know how crucial the competition/deadline aspect is, but if the fact that I'm already working on iPhone compatibility for Time Winders/Spacetime helps just let me know because I'm happy to hand over the updated code if you want it and your competition parameters allow it.

I'm pretty sure TouchLine wouldn't convert to iPhone well at all - not enough screen space (your hands get in the way a bit on iPad as it is). I'll have a think for some simple iPhone ideas...

• cjrcjr

Is Codea Play available? I can't see it in the Swedish store, but I see Codea and Cargo Bot.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@cjr not yet. We need to make sure we can release it with a number of interesting games on iPhone as well as iPad.

I am debating whether or not to release it on iPad first with the wonderful games developed for the competition, and then move to iPhone later.

Will there be another competition soon?

Please release Codea Play if only for iPad initially! It will be a great boon for adding to the Codea community when outisders get their hands on some games created in Codea and see what is possible. I love all the grassroots effort going on here. I am definitely going to see if I can get a dream done through Codea.

@ Simeon- Any update as to when Codea Play will be released on iPad. I am dying to check it out and show off some of my work!

@roburwin - Codea Play (I think) is aimed to be a Codea Lite. It has example projects and a limited code editor where you can't save your code. Please correct me if I'm wrong @Simeon.

@Zoyt - Ah I see now. So to have an your work included in the app, it would have had to be selected as part of the competition. Got it.

@robirwin - I believe so. You could also put it through the Runtime library and put it all in one folder on your home screen, but you need a dev account.

A simple question, Codea Play will be released, ever?

@Simeon is there any time table on when Codea Play will be released?

Any news?

Any news ?

I'm happy to develop some stupid little games like Astroids or somethings for the app if that speeds up the development.
    Also, will Codea Play include Codea Probe? It drives me nuts using iPad screen space just for docs, when I could be looking at it ion my iPod.

@Zoyt, haha, I feel the same way about my screen space. I actually wish I could make the font size 12 or maybe even 10 so I have more space to see more code, lol.

Actually having an option (in normal Codea) to adjust font size would be awesome!

@TechDojo - You can set the editor font size in the setup screen. Tap the gear cog looking icon on the top right of the project list (home) screen.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Zoyt I am looking to release Codea Probe as a free, stand-alone documentation browser (maybe with scratch editor). But I've been tied up working on the next major feature for Codea.

@Simeon Sounds good, would there be a possibility of getting probe on android? I don't own another apple device other than an iPad..

When/where can you sumbit a game to the contest?

I'd LOVE another competition within the next three weeks (before school starts).

Is there any progress on this? Or has Codea scratchpad replaced it?

@Ivoah, please refrain from commenting on old posts

This discussion has been closed.