Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea Beta 2.3.1 (47)

dave1707dave1707 Mod
edited April 2015 in Beta Posts: 7,923

@Simeon math.hugh works with parameter.number. The status bar doesn't show at the top of the editor screen. I don't use Air Code, so I can't say anything about that. Not sure what the other compatabilities are that need to be looked at.

Comments

• liked iOS status bar--would like it everywhere but in running code and even an option for it there.

in editor would like iOS status bar with tab height shortened so names fill vertical space used and below status bar.

I like to see status bar to tell when battery is low or to see time, wifi dropped, etc.

• Air Code works as expected.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks everyone for the quick testing.

@CodingOnNapkins unsure on whether to include the status bar as an optional thing. Will think about it.

• how about showStatusBar() as a function to put into draw() only when we want it?

• edited April 2015 Posts: 282

how about showStatusBar() as a function to put into draw() only when we want it?

I agree, this could be a function called out of setup like displayMode or supportedOrientations. It could also be used instead of the setting while exporting.

@Simeon, now Codea 2.3.1(46), appears on my Test Flight on iPhone to install, but when I try to do it, it can't be installed.

Any ideas?

@Simeon, another thing, when I swype down/up or close the Codea's forum, the sccreen moves like when we use displayMode() and 'hide' the parameters bar

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@erickyamato don't try to install it on iPhone. It's not built for iPhone and shouldn't show up there. I'm not sure why it is showing on your phone.

• I just found a glitch. When you press a normal key and the a key on the extra row of buttons, sometimes the touch doesn't register.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thanks @Saturn031000 — though I am unsure if we can address that (it could be the Apple keyboard is just not letting us know of the touch event).

The next build (47) is likely the App Store version of 2.3.1. I have significantly changed some of the viewer layout and startup sequence code in order to fix the distortion issue in exported project. Please let me know if any of your existing code behaves differently with regards to displayMode or orientation support.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited April 2015 Posts: 7,923

@Simeon Loaded latest beta. Haven't run into any problems with displayMode() with any option in or out of setup(). No issues with orientationChanged().

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I noticed a difference with the code below when starting in different orientations. Since I'm not setting displayMode anywhere, it appears that the WIDTH and HEIGHT are being set before you determine what the default display mode is.

print("outside",WIDTH,HEIGHT)

function setup()
        print("in setup",WIDTH,HEIGHT)
    end

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 thank you for your quick feedback. I believe the behaviour in your last example hasn't changed. The correct width and height can only be known once the app has started drawing (so when setup is called).

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon There's only a few statements that I set outside of setup, so I wasn't sure if that was a problem or not.

Got the latest update from testflight today - one thing I did notice is (in landscape mode) there is a nasty glitch when entering exiting a project and also when bringing up the reference / aircode sidebar. It looks like screen fractures roughly around where the in-app side panel appears and then resets just before the transition takes place - this is happening in both the last two testflight updates.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@TechDojo I'm on an iPad Air and the transition of starting or exiting a project is very smooth. The project name image rotates 180 degrees to and from the editor. Is that what you're referring to. Also, bringing up the reference / air code sidebar is smooth.

• got "error:attempt to compare nil with number"
    with no source info about where it happened?

any chance of a quick fix?

other wise 47 ok.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@CodingOnNapkins that sounds like it might be a logic error in your code. Are you able to share the code so I can test?

@dave1707 - I'm running on a 64gb iPad 3, with iOS 8.3. I have at least 100 projects and I can also see the glitches when I scroll the project list to the bottom particularly when I scroll past the examples.

Same problem like @TechDojo

• @Simeon I fixed it but my question was about the runtime not being able to tell me at least the last CODEA source line before the error. I would think that even a problem in the C code would have this information to put in the error message.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

I've also had "error:attempt to compare nil with number" with no line number, a few times. However, I am still on the previous Codea release so it is not due to any change in the current beta.

I can't replicate it easily, but I will post an example if I can.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited April 2015 Posts: 7,923

@Simeon I've been having trouble with the () key. I'm not sure if it's iOS 8.3 or
    the Codea beta. If I type the word print followed by the () key, the () don't register. I found this because when I'm keying in code and type print followed by (), I notice the () are missing and I have to erase what I keyed and hit the () key again. Playing around, it doesn't matter what's letters are keyed, the () key doesn't seem to register the first time on that line, but if I keep barely tapping it after that, it does show. It's as if iOS or Codea is waiting for something else to happen on that line when the () key is pressed.

EDIT: It looks like it's the speed the letters are typed. If I type print() fast, the () don't show. If I type print() slow, the () will show.

EDIT: It's how much time is between the last letter and the () key. I can hit a letter and the () key 6 times before it shows if I do it fast enough.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I'm suspicious that iOS 8.3 changed some fundamental stuff with the keyboard. Others have complained about the input accessory bar not "getting" touches too.

• @dave1707 - It's not only the () key. I'm having trouble with the other keys like the = key as well.

@Simeon Also having these problems, I have to press '=' about 3 times before it shows up.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Simeon - if it helps, I'm on iOS 8.3 but I haven't loaded the beta, ie I'm still on version 2.3, and I'm not having these keyboard problems.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Ignatz thanks for letting me know about that. I will see what I can find.

@Simeon, opposite of Ignatz, I'm on latest beta but not 8.3, and I also have no keyboard problems

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon It appears to only affect the keys that have the grey dot ( multiple character keys ).

@Simeon, I went ahead and upgraded to 8.3 and now I have the bug.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Simeon - actually, while I don't have problems with = or normal use of keys, I went back and tested dave1707's issue with () and I do have that problem, ie typing the () key quickly after (say) print means it doesn't show up. You have to type it again.

(For me that's not a huge issue, though, because I mostly use an external keyboard with individual brackets).

• @dave1707 @Simeon - For me it affects all keys, such as the reference and arrow keys as well. Basically all of the extra keys behave like this for me, not just the multiple character keys.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here's a stripped down example of code that caused an error message without identifying the line that caused the error. It was a mistake on my part and I was able to eventually find the line and fix it. The error message wasn't much help in finding the bad line.

error: attempt to get length of a userdata value

function setup()
        tab={}
        table.insert(vec2(1,1))           -- I didn't add the table name
    end

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thank you for the example @dave1707

I can see the issue with the keyboard. It looks like there is a delay after the last key you press on the "real" keyboard before the top bar starts accepting touch input. I hope this isn't a case of iOS 8.3 breaking keyboards.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I also noticed that I have to wait for a second before executing a program. If I key something and then hit the execute button to fast, it doesn't register.

• @Simeon - The keyboard issue may very well be an iOS 8.3 problem as I tried using the extra row of keys in other apps such as editorial and found the exact same problem.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Saturn031000 thanks for the confirmation, I'll file a bug report with Apple and see if there are any workarounds.

Now I'm getting the extra row of keys popping up over running code if I do the exit/renter that should bring up the hidden control buttons. The extra row stays there from then on, can't get rid of it without dismissing app.

Also running into situations where I can't scroll the text. This seems to happen after I've pasted addition text into a tab

• edited April 2015 Posts: 1,400

Hi All,

Just updated to 2.3.1(47) on my iPad2 iOS8.3. Prior to the Codea update I was having a lot of problems with the editing screen in that tabs didn't seem to respond to touch and the system seemed to slow down a lot. Not sure if it had frozen but it tended to not respond to touches - some similar problems mentioned above. Since the Codea update this behaviour has stopped - much more responsive to touch.

I noted the effect @techdojo mentioned above in a screen splitting effect before and after the update. Easy to see - just press on the twolivesleft logo at the bottom and then back and you should see the redraw of the project lists.

Still having a few problems with Aircode losing focus. I've been loading files into --[[ and --]] pairs to avoid issues with syntactical errors in old files with the latest builds. Also right clicking on the Aircode window initially brings up the wrong menu - I have to click off to the right to get the right context menu up - usually needing paste for code pasting.

Thanks All,

Bri_G

:D

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Mark the row of keys popping up over running code should have been fixed in 2.3.1. Hmm. I'll look into it.

@Simeon - the bug about not being able to set the value of WIDTH & HEIGHT appears to have reappeared in the latest testflight build.

I'm calling supportedOrientations() outside of setup(), and then attempting to set WIDTH & HEIGHT inside setup() before calling displayMode().

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@TechDojo setting displayMode will likely cause WIDTH and HEIGHT to be set to new values. Have you tried setting them after?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon The latest beta crashes if you try to paste code at the last line. It also crashes if the cursor is on the last line and the copy, paste, etc buttons are showing and the screen is touch anywhere.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Thank you @dave1707, I will look into it. I wonder if it's related to iOS 8.3 too.

@Simeon - sorry my mistake I was trying to set WIDTH & HEIGHT after calling displayMode().

If I set them before then the changes get ignored (as you said), however if I set them after then the values are only correct after you press the reset button and rerun the app - just like the bug the first time round.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@TechDojo I'll review the code changes between now and then to see what changed.

i just got the latest update from the App Store, and there's a bug with using the copy button inside the built-in browser. every code snippet i copy results in an error on the first line that is indented. it seems like the character </194> is being copied. i have to manually rewrite any snippets to get them to compile

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@matkatmusic thanks for the report, I'll check it out.

@TechDojo I have an idea what's changed. I'm unsure if pursuing the settable WIDTH / HEIGHT feature is a good idea (it's brittle due to the fact that Codea sets WIDTH and HEIGHT). I think we really need the ability to set the canvas size, like displayMode. Perhaps displaySize or something.