Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3d tool alert

Jmv38Jmv38 Mod
in Suggestions Posts: 3,295

i've just seen this:
AppShopper is pleased to alert you of a Wish List Price Drop ($9.99 -> $0.99) for the “Artist3D – Modeling Tool” App.
iTunes: http://appshopper.com/link/artist3d.

Those working on 3d may be interested. I've loaded the app, but i see it will be quite long to ckeck if it is really good or not. i cant advise pro or against it, but i thought i should tell anyway, because the low price wont last.

Best regards.

Comments

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

i've generated a .obj file.
    exported it to my dropbox as a zip.
    unzipped it via goodreader.
    one of the files is a text file .obj with mesh coordinates in it.
    so this seems usable for codea.

I notice Polygonify is free in the appstore today. It seems quite cool and can export .obj files.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,605

Nice program, Polygonify. I downloaded it and created the cube as a test and exported the .obj file. I emailed the .obj file to myself and from my email, I was able to copy the .obj file to Dropbox. From Dropbox I renamed the .obj file to a .txt file. From Codea, I syncd my dropbox folder and received the .txt file to be used in a Codea program.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

I used Polygonify to create a complex 3D object. I exported the .obj file to Codea as I described in my comment above. I used the values in the file to create the vertices in a Codea program to draw the 3D object. So Polygonify can be used to create 3D objects used in Codea.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

nice one!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Here's the code I wrote to show what was created with Polygonify. I use random colors for each side just to make it easy.. To use, create an object in Polygonify. When done, select export and email the file to yourself. In email, long press the file and options will show. Select the one to copy to Dropbox. In Dropbox, rename the .obj file to .txt . From Codea Dropbox folder, sync the files. Change the file name in the code below to read your file. Slide your finger around the screen to rotate the object. The 2 for loops ( gmatch) read the file and create the vertices tables. The loadstring function loads the tables.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)

function setup()   
        dx,dy,count=0,0,0
        str=readText("Dropbox:test55")  -- change the name to your file.
        str1="vertices={\n"
        for a,b,c in string.gmatch(str,'v (.-)%s(.-)%s(.-)\n') do
            str1=str1.."vec3("..a..","..b..","..c.."),\n"
        end 
        str1=str1.."}\n\ncube.vertices={\n"
        for a,b,c,d in string.gmatch(str,'f (.-)%s(.-)%s(.-)%s(.-)\n') do
            str1=str1.."vertices["..a.."], vertices["..b.."], vertices["..c.."],\n"
            str1=str1.."vertices["..a.."], vertices["..c.."], vertices["..d.."],\n"    
            count=count+1    
        end  
        str1=str1.."}"
        colors={}
        for i=1,count do
            r=math.random(255) g=math.random(255) b=math.random(255)
            for j=1,6 do
                table.insert(colors, color(r,g,b))
            end
        end
        cube=mesh()
        cube.colors=colors    
        loadstring(str1)()
        print(count)
    end                    

function draw()
        background(40, 40, 50)
        camera(0,0,-8,0,0,0)
        perspective()
        rotate(dx,0,1,0)
        rotate(dy,1,0,0)
        cube:draw()
    end

function touched(t)
        if t.state==MOVING then
            dx=dx+t.deltaX
            dy=dy-t.deltaY
        end
    end

Thanks for sharing-works great

One of the most impressive iOS 3D sculpting tools IMO is 123D Sculpt by Autodesk Inc.
    https://appsto.re/gb/w5ZLA.i

It's free, with IAP for themed contact packs. It has .obj export, tho I didn't test bringing its models into Codea