Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An assortment of questions.

edited May 2016 in Questions Posts: 110

Hi all,
I'm a beginner, so don't judge.
I want to use the touched() function for a character to be moved. However, when the finger is on the screen, but not moving the touched function is not called. Is there an easy way to fix this?
Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

if touch.state ~= ENDED then
        --move player code
    end

@MattthewLXXIII Here you go! Just create a variable like tch that saves the data from your touched() function. Then you can use that variable in draw()

function setup()
        tch = nil
    end

function draw()
        background(40, 40, 50)
        strokeWidth(5)

if tch then 
            ellipse(tch.x,tch.y,100) 
            -- Add the rest of your code here
        end
    end

function touched(touch)
        if touch.state == ENDED then
            tch = nil
        else
            tch = touch
        end
    end

• Thanks guys!
    What is ~=?
    Is there a way I can change the title to ask a different question?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

The ~= is not equal. Just ask your new question here.

• What is != then?
    Is there a way to receive input from a bluetooth keyboard?
    Thanks.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

!= is also not equal, but not in Lua.

• Ah, ok.
    Do you know the answer to my second question?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Search this forum

• Fair enough, thank you.
    How do you access the y value on the unpack?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

This forum isn't a substitute for reading the reference material on Lua and Codea.

It's fair enough to ask if you get stuck, but asking what ~= means, or about the different states of the touched function, or how unpack works, is wasting our time because they are explained in the Codea reference or in the Lua manual. If you don't understand the explanations there, ask, but please read them first.

• I'll concede the ~= and the keyboard, but I'm confused about the unpack() function. It returns 2 values, but when you compare it, it only uses the x value. What is the Lua manual? @Ignatz you don't have to answer.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

You can't compare a list of two values with something else. It's basically saying

If x,y~=z then

Which is obviously invalid

This is what unpack is for

a=vec2(1,3)
    translate(a:unpack())

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod
    edited May 2016 Posts: 5,396

For the Lua manual, try google ((Codea is built on the Lua language)

• edited May 2016 Posts: 110

Thanks, but is there a function not involving dot product to get the x and y values for a vector?
    EDIT: (individually)

• edited May 2016 Posts: 2,020
    The "dot notation" (nothing to do with dot product) returns the components of a vector. Eg `pos.x`. So `translate(pos:unpack())` is the same as `translate(pos.x, pos.y, pos.z)` EDIT: or `translate(pos.x, pos.y)` depending on whether pos is vec2 or vec3
    Hmmm, back tick inline code not working on Codea Talk?
  • Thanks @yojimbo2000.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

please learn the Lua language, then you won't need to ask these basic questions

I have written posts and ebooks that may help

https://coolcodea.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/index-of-posts/

• How do I tell if the keyboard is not being pressed? The keyboard function appears to return the last key which was pressed as opposed to what is being pressed at that moment.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

The keyboard function works the way it's supposed to. If you're getting the last key instead of what is being pressed, then you're using it wrong. Without seeing your code, we can't tell you what you're doing wrong.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Here's as simple as the keyboard function gets.

function setup()
        showKeyboard()
        key=""

end

function draw()
        background(0)
        fill(255)
        text("Press a key..."..key,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2)

end

function keyboard(k)
        key=k
    end

I've noticed, on various language forums, that the more mature members appreciate it when beginners have clearly made an effort to learn before asking questions. I've also noticed, on various language forums, that the more mature members sometimes get a little testy when someone seems not to have made the effort.

I do think one should read the Lua manual. At the same time, I wish there was more basic language material in the Codea help, because sometimes, cruising over to the Lua manual takes me way out of my flow. If I were sitting with my team, I might just stick up my head and say "what the heck is not equal in this language", and someone would say "still ~=, you stupid clod", and I'd say "thanks, susan" and get back to it.

Some aspects of Codea/Lua are quite weird. I''ve been programming longer than most of you have been alive, and I have never seen anything quite so non-obvious as the touch logic. It has taken me some learning and practice to get it to work, and I still don't think I have it quite right. So I'm not surprised when someone doesn't get that one, or the keyboard one. It makes me think there needs to be a better writeup somewhere, and it needs to be right at one's fingertips, like in the Codea help or something. Anyway, when someone asks about that, it's quite all right with me and probably with most of us.

But my point is, and I do have one, on forums I'm more active on, and on the days when I just don't feel like answering basic questions like when to use dot and when to use colon, well, I just don't answer. Sometimes I do remind a questioner that the group likes to see that they've made the effort. But mostly, if I'm not up for the game, I sit it out.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

I agree it's a delicate balance. I like to see that someone has at least tried to look for an explanation before asking.

We get a lot of young kids who are used to just sticking their hand up when they get stuck, and/or who expect programming to be easy, and it sometimes takes them a while to get the idea that you have to learn to find your own answers as far as possible, and that it takes hard work.

It isn't just programmers, though. I belong to non programming forums where exactly the same thing happens. People breeze in without looking at any of the help material and expect everything to be explained for them personally. (I'm not saying that's what happened in this thread, I'm talking more generally).

With regard to your final point, I think it's better to remind new users that they need to invest some time up front learning the language, rather than just ignoring their question. Especially when they are young kids just starting out.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

I don't mind answering simple questions where I know the answer or it only takes a second to lookup the correct answer. What I don't like is trying to figure out ambiguous questions, spend time writing example code to help them, then they completely ignore what I gave them because it's not EXACTLY what they want. They don't want to take the time to look at the code to see what it does so they can figure out what to change on their own. But then that's what I'm here for so I guess it doesn't matter.

i hear ya. kids these days ... :smile:

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

I'm sure we would have been just the same, the education system doesn't (and never did) teach kids to think for themselves.

• @dave1707 I wanted a way to tell when the keyboard was released. I had something similar to your function, but I couldn't find a way to reset the key to ' ' if the key on the keyboard was not pressed. Do you know any good keyboard tutorials? The coolcodea one wasn't of much help.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

There are stacks of keyboard threads on here if you search, it's a popular topic

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@MattthewLXXIII I guess I would have to know what you're trying to do with the keyboard/key value to give you a better answer. The code below sets key to nil at the start. If a key is pressed, key then contains the value. In draw(), if key is not nil then it prints the value then sets key back to nil. I'm not sure what you mean by when the keyboard was released.. The keyboard function is only called if a key is pressed, so you could say the keyboard is released right after a key is pressed. It's up to you to do what you want with key.

function setup()
        showKeyboard()
        key=""  --set to nil
    end

function draw()
        background(0)
        if key~="" then -- not equal to nil
            print("A key was presses, it was..."..key)
            key=""  -- set to nil
        end
    end

function keyboard(k)
        key=k
    end

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

Another way to do it is to use an indicator

function keyboard(k)
        keyboardActive=true
        --add code to process keystroke
    end

function draw()
        if keyboardActive then 
            --keyboard is in use
            keyboardActive=nil --reset indicator
        else
            --keyboard is not in use
        end
    end

• Hi guys, thanks for your help. I want a character to move up when w is pressed, but stop moving when w is released.

-- Keyboard test

function setup()
        x=0
        y=0
        showKeyboard()
        ACTIVE = false
    end

function keyboard(key)
        letter = key
        ACTIVE = true
    end

function move()
        if ACTIVE then
            if letter == 'd' then
                x = x+1
            end
            if letter == 's' then
                y = y-1
            end
            if letter == 'w' then
                y = y+1
            end
            if letter == 'a' then
                x = x-1
            end
            ACTIVE = false
        end
    end

function draw()

background(40, 40, 50)
        move()
        translate(x,y)
        strokeWidth(5)
        ellipse(WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2,10)

end

It doesn't move very smoothly, how can I fix this?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@MattthewLXXIII The keyboard doesn't work like that. When you press a key, you get the value once until you press another key. If you want to continue to use the keyboard for that, then you could use another key to stop the movement. You tap w to move up or one of the other keys to move in their direction, but you tap q to quit any movement. I suggest that you look into the use of buttons and skip the keyboard for the movement direction.

• Ok, I will. Thanks Dave!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@MattthewLXXIII Here's a simple example.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)

function setup()
        rectMode(CENTER)
        x=WIDTH/2
        y=HEIGHT/2
        dx,dy=0,0
        up=button(WIDTH/2,200,"up",vec2(0,1))
        down=button(WIDTH/2,100,"down",vec2(0,-1))
        left=button(WIDTH/2-100,150,"left",vec2(-1,0))
        right=button(WIDTH/2+100,150,"right",vec2(1,0))
    end

function draw()
        background(40, 40, 50)
        x=x+dx
        y=y+dy
        sprite("Space Art:Green Explosion",x,y)
        up:draw()
        down:draw()
        left:draw()
        right:draw()
    end

function touched(t)
        if t.state==BEGAN then
            up:touched(t)
            down:touched(t)
            left:touched(t)
            right:touched(t)
        end
        if t.state==ENDED then
            dx,dy=0,0
        end
    end

button=class()

function button:init(x,y,n,d)
        self.x=x
        self.y=y
        self.n=n
        self.d=d
    end

function button:draw()
        fill(255)
        rect(self.x,self.y,80,40)
        fill(255,0,0)
        text(self.n,self.x,self.y)
    end

function button:touched(t)
        if t.x>self.x-40 and t.x<self.x+40 and t.y>self.y-20 and t.y<self.y+20 then
            dx=self.d.x
            dy=self.d.y
        end
    end

• edited May 2016 Posts: 110
    1. Why is it that ellipse(v:unpack(),size) doesn't work?
    2. Is there a function to calculate the distance between a point and a line?
      EDIT: I just removed an accidental strikethrough and did back ticks.
  • Also, thanks Dave, I just was trying to have more space on screen without buttons; I made the playing area smaller to fit a joystick on the side, so either my characters will be smaller or it will be too quick.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

I don't think you can add further parameters after an unpack command

Wrt touch, I would use an indicator as in my example above. Then it's easy to keep moving as long as the indicator is true, and stop it when the indicator is false (or nil).

> I don't think you can add further parameters after an unpack command

This is correct. I'd avoid using unpack generally, because of the ambiguity over the number of parameters you're getting back.
  • For my second question, I wrote a function if anyone wants it, is there a codea function which does the same?

function pointtoline(p,l1,l2) -- vectors, p is point, l1&l2 are points on line
        a = p-l1
        b = l2-l1
        return (a-((a:dot(b))*b)/((b):lenSqr())):len() --length of perpendicular vector resolute
    end

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

No, but several of us have used this formula or one like it, to get the shortest distance to a line

Here is a post I wrote about the formula our mathematician in residence provided (his version isn't quite the same because it restricts the line so it can't go past the endpoints, ie it won't be perpendicular in that case.

https://coolcodea.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/193-shortest-distance-from-a-point-to-a-line/

• @Ignatz, thanks, his version is nicer.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@MattthewLXXIII - if you look at the index page of my blog (from the link above) you'll see my ebooks. They have a lot of math tricks and handy functions in them, especially the 3D grabbag book. It was really hard work finding them, so I thought I'd make it easier for the next person....

• edited June 2016 Posts: 110

Another question guys:

function setup()
        dostuff=0
    end

function draw()
        background(255, 255, 255, 255)
        if ElapsedTime==1 then
            dostuff=dostuff+1
        end
        strokeWidth(5)
        fill(0)
        if dostuff == 1 then
            ellipse(100,100,100)
        end
    end

Why doesn't the ellipse ever draw?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,396

Lack of precision. ElapsedTime probably won't ever equal 1 exactly. Try this

if dostuff==0 and ElapsedTime>1 then dostuff=dostuff+1

I put the dostuff test first because it is (probably) faster than looking up ElapsedTime

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod
    edited June 2016 Posts: 5,396

If you are implementing a set of states, then it is more efficient to write it like this

states={DrawMenu,DrawSettings,DrawPlay,DrawEndOfGame}

function setup()
        state=1
    end

function draw()
        states[state]() --run function for current state
    end

--draw functions for different states
    function DrawMenu()
        --code to draw menu screen
        --you can transition states easily
        state=2 --change to Settings screen
        state=3 --start playing the game
    end

function DrawSettings()
        --code to draw and manage settings screen
        --at the end you can revert to the menu
        state=1
    end

This is much cleaner than having a big draw function with lots of if statements, and runs faster because you don't need to test what state you are in, each time you draw.

• Thanks Ignatz, I was using it for something else, but that will be useful too. I think I saw that on one of your links. I was just wondering how ElapsedTime works, why doesn't it just add DeltaTime every frame?

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

I would expect that it does, but DeltaTime is not exactly 1/60 of a second, it depends on frame rate, so total elapsed time is probably never an integer.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

If you want ElapsedTime to be an integer, just do

ElapsedTime//1
    or
        math.floor(ElapsedTime)

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

However, I wouldn't use this approach simply to tell you if one second has passed

isn't ElapsedTime continually increasing? If so, most of the functions above would draw the ellipse once and once only, which will not likely be visible on the screen at all ...