We are proud to officially announce the development of Codea Craft. There have already been several unofficial threads, twitter posts and videos based on pre-alpha versions of the update. We are now ready to release more information and answer questions related to this update. Codea Craft will be added to the official roadmap soon.
What is it?
Codea Craft is a new addition that simplifies and extends the 3D capabilities of Codea via an entirely new API and set of subsystems.
What Features will be included?
- World() - The Codea Craft world, containing all the objects within it
- Entities - Flexible objects in the world that can have a number of components
- Components - Special modular components that can simulate physics, render graphics and more
- Cameras - Physical representation of camera with support for changing FOV, orthographic rendering, raycasting and more
- Mesh - Supercharged replacement for the mesh class
- Model Loading - Support for loading .obj models (with future support coming for FBX and skinned meshes)
- Materials - A completely new system for controlling the appearance of objects with support for lighting, textures and more
- Rigidbody - Simulates 3D rigid body physics
- Physics Shapes - Various 3D shapes for simulation including boxes, spheres, cylinders, cones, convex hulls, meshes and compound shapes
- Physics Joints - Various 3D constraints for simulation including hinges, welds, ball-socket and more
- Voxels - An entire sub-system dedicated to voxel rendering, customisation and interaction
- Math Improvements - support for quaternions and associated helper functions, such as slerp, angle axis constructor and more
- Comprehensive Noise Library - Tree-based 3D smooth noise including perlin, rigid multifractal and many others
- New Example Projects - example projects showing how the new features work with step-by-step guides
When is it Coming Out?
There is a tentative release date for the end of the year but nothing solid just yet. Closed-beta will begin soon.
Will it be Free?
While we love giving out free updates wherever possible, Codea Craft represents an extraordinary amount of work on our part. We aren't sure how monetisation will work at this stage but we want to make this fair and reasonable for both new and existing users. We are open to suggestions at this early stage.