Codea Craft - Official Thread

Comments

• Hey @John , I was quite excited when you said that you would add Universal support, how will it be implemented? Will the app be available on iPhone and iPod, or will it be easier to be done on the iPad. I'm just curious to know if I should launch my app before the update or wait till the update to make necessary changes.

• I think a single IAP for all of Code Craft would be best this includes all assets assets used in the examples. Next I think maybe adding some free and paid assets would be great for everyone! and yes as a student a small discount would be nice but will deff buy without it! Wonderfull work with Codea and Codea craft. and also not asking to but would love to be a beta tester.

• @John
    @EvanDavis

Like steam sells games for Early access, perhaps you could ask for donations to be apart of the TestFlight app to raise money if you need it.

I would gladly pay a premium for early access as a student. While I'm learning Python. Lua and codea is my love and favorite place to code.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

Progress Update:

Here is the Voxel Editor project, which will be in the update allowing users to create, save and load voxel models within Codea. Voxels can be simple coloured cubes or more complex ones (MineCraft style). The types of voxels, their appearance and behaviour can all be modified.

• Great job guys! cant wait till the update.

• Amazing :smiley:

• You Guys have the BEST idea Great Job

• @John @Simeon Sorry to bug, but I read that the update would be coming somewhere near the end of the year. Therefore, I'm sure that it is near. This thread has been dead for a few weeks, can you please keep us up to date with what is going on? I mean no rush or to bother any of you, I'm just really eager.

It looks like there were quite a few commits to the repo Dec 20 and 22 (via https://twitter.com/CodeaCommits). Hopefully soon!

• edited December 2016 Posts: 14

Will codea craft be able to sell apps solely by itself on iOS device without appLe with or without App Store .... By the way props to codea you Guys did one heckuva job with everything you've done so far

> Will codea craft be able to sell apps solely by itself on iOS device without appLe with or without App Store ...

Nope
  • AnatolyAnatoly Mod

Will codea craft be able to sell apps solely by itself on iOS device without appLe with or without App Store .... By the way props to codea you Guys did one heckuva job with everything you've done so far

As @yojimbo2000 mentioned above - No. You need, correct me if I'm wrong, XCode to build your App, and send your file to Apple Developers, who will, if they accept your application, release it on their server, and only then your project will be released.

@TokOut , no, yojimbo is right, you need XCode to compile your app for release and the $100 developer license to send it to Apple for review

• @Mr_Ninja @TokOut You guys are polluting this thread. We don't need three people to answer the same question. I always see one new message and I think that it's something about the new update. Speaking of which, @John @Simeon can you give an approximation of when the update will come out. No rush intended. Thanks!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@CamelCoder I'm going to release an update shortly that is a minor update (feature-wise) prior to the Craft module and other new features.

A lot of Codea has been re-written and re-architected internally, lots of bugs squashed, and I want to get this out before Craft and other big features.

• @Simeon alright, can't wait, and I am going my definition of "shortly" as before the weekend, so I hope I see it then. Thanks.

• edited January 2017 Posts: 2,020
    > and I am going my definition of "shortly" as before the weekend,

I would expect a Codea user to have a better idea of the unpredictable nature of software development. Even if the update is ready to be submitted by then, Apple in the past have sat on Codea updates for around a month.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@CamelCoder maybe. I'll post some more info on what I'm working on

• @yojimbo2000 I knew that the weekend was a bit of a stretch, I've just been extremely eager for the next update

• @Simeon I'm assuming that you have sent the next version to Apple because you haven't posted on the CodeaCommits page for 2 days, can you please give me an estimate of when you expect to finish and the next version to be released. I just want to know this because:
    1. I can accommodate all my applications and know when to release them
    2. So I can stop whining. I legit wake up every morning checking if it's there!
    Sorry for being a nuisance, and Thank you in advance

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,061
    @CamelCoder the next update has been submitted, you can see the roadmap thread for info on what it contains. Hopefully it passes review this weekend and we can finish off the next update.

Note that you haven't seen any commits because my internet is down at home until Friday and I can't push to remote. I have plenty of commits to push when I get accsss.

Edit: unfortunately Xcode export is not addressed in the update awaiting review. I'll be changing the way it works next.
  • @Simeon I was wondering if the next update is still with Apple. My app only takes a few days for Apple to submit it, it has been much more than a week, can you give me an expected launch of the update

@CamelCoder please stop complaining about the update taking time to arrive. This is your 5th post asking the same question. As I mentioned above, Apple has a history of sitting on Codea updates (sometimes for up to a month), because unlike most apps, Codea can execute code. It could be that the other code-executing apps on the store (Pythonista, Continuous, Swift Playgrounds :p etc) have similar issues with App Store review, but Apple seem to single out Codea for some reason. Not having the update isn't stopping you from coding.

@yojimbo2000 - Pythonista has been singled out several times as well, and the update process usually takes 4-5 weeks. I'm not the developer, that from the forums and Slack channel.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@CamelCoder Apple has rejected the update (which was somewhat expected) and I have appealed their decision. I am in contact with App Review regarding the features I would like to include but it's a slow process and leaves it uncertain whether those features will make the next update.

Apple is a bit over protective about their walled garden. Keep up the pressure they've been known to come to their senses. :)

• AnatolyAnatoly Mod

If it's rejected, it means Codea Craft will not be released!?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@TokOut it doesn't mean that (the next update doesn't include the Craft module anyway). It just means there are some issues we'll need to sort out first.

• @Simeon I'm sorry to here that it was rejected, I really needed that export feature.
    @yojimbo2000 I'm sorry for being impatient, I've never been through a Codea update so I didn't how long it would take. Also, I really need to protect my code, that's why I've been so impatient about the next update. I apologize, I'll stop asking, and thanks for the update on what's going on.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@CamelCoder you can export in the current version by long-pressing your project and choosing export. Each project can be exported as a zip file (it's a lot slower, obviously, than exporting all at once).

This kind of behaviour from Apple really pisses me off, and makes me hope that some regulatory authority, the EU, FCC, whatever, brings a successful anti-competition law suit against the App Store (like the EU did with Windows and Explorer/ Edge).

There are quite a few code-executing apps out there that allow project import. Lores coder for instance, even has a community section where you browse and import projects made by other users! Imagine how awesome it would be if Apple were to allow something similar in Codea. And Swift Playgrounds of course allows import.

Apps like Codea, Pythonista, Continuous etc are crucial IMO, because they represent the open source community that is otherwise completely locked out from iOS, and they're what stops the iPad being a mere content consumption device.

Decisions like this from Apple though prevent Codea from reaching its full potential.

I feel like the community should do send a message to Apple, let them know how we feel about this.

• @yojimbo2000 I agree wholeheartedly, Android lets everything go through, and Apple is so knitpicky, there should be some moderation, I think we should organize something, do something, this is outrageous! I really needed that update,

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

If you want to do something, then stop buying Apple products. As long as people stand in line for days to be the first to buy a new product before the one they have even gets cold, then Apple will continue to do whatever they want. People complain about problems with their devices, but Apple won't fix the problems because they want you to buy something new. And you can't stop people who think they have to be the first to get the next version.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@yojimbo2000 it's unfortunate, but we'll just have to do the best we can with what we're allowed to do.

I'll be exploring share sheet extensions soon. In a way that is similar to Pythonista. So you could write your own extension to Codea to import projects from an external source, but nothing will be supplied with the app. I think Apple would be OK with this sort of mechanism because it restricts the functionality to users who are advanced enough to integrate/build the feature themselves.

Regarding pricing there's not a perfect option but I kind of like what OMZ did with Pythonista. Release a new app for $15.00 and offer a bundle that allows existing users to upgrade to the new app for a reduced price.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Klink we considered that. Did you find it difficult getting all your projects across to the new version? (Given restrictions on downloading code, etc.)

There's a clever built in migration folder in Pythonista 3. The details are listed below.

If you also have Pythonista 2 installed, you can access your existing files through the special “Pythonista 2” folder in the script library. It is possible to move files from Pythonista 2 to Pythonista 3, but not vice-versa. You can disable the Pythonista 2 folder entirely from the settings.

• @Simeon If you are considering a discount bundle approach like Pythonista make sure its from launch day. I got burned by buying Pythonista 3 at a discounted rate when it came out but they didn't release the bundle until a bit later which would have been the cheaper option for me.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@XanDDemoX At this point i'm still leaning towards keeping updates free and everything in a single app. But that's a good point and something we'll make sure of.

I do realize this is rather late, but I'd love to be part of the beta test as well. Keep up the good work @Simeon, you and the Codea team are awesome!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Attila717 I'll be posting about beta testing invitations on the forums soon, so keep an eye out for a thread.

Ok, cool! Thank you

• edited March 2017 Posts: 1

Its finally time to sign up to the forums after I bought the App 4 years ago.

This is awesome, keep it up Simeon !

Welcome aboard!

• I was taking lessons on Mimo the app to try and learn other applications and trying to good efforts with this abilities I got to tell you guys he did a fantastic job with Codea I don't know how You can remember all that I just got finished taking lessons on terminal by the way if anyone was to do any better on Codea there are Lua lessons coming out on that app Mimo not sure when they're coming out though might have to hang in there ... Anyway cheers to the Codea team

The community has been dead for a while now! How bout an update on Codea Craft @Simeon ? Is it near?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@CamelCoder yeah it is. There's another update to Codea going through review at the moment, and there may be more small updates before we can release Codea Craft (+ other big stuff).

Development is happening. The wheels are in motion.

• AnatolyAnatoly Mod

Can you also add ability to connect with Codea; AKA Net References like in MonoDevelop to play Erik for example. Would be a very great feature.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

Craft Update Progress - Block Library Example Project

@John that looks extremely cool, and by the looks of it, it has a solid 60 FPS and you're recording! Well done! Can't wait for the update