Codea Craft - Official Thread

13»

Comments

@John @Simeon
    On the TLL website, it says that Codea Craft is going to be released as a separate app. Is this true? I thought it would be an update.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@CamelCoder Codea Craft is an update, the website needs to be updated.

• edited April 2017 Posts: 71
    Awesome @John! I can't wait to see the update. I have at least $20 USD set aside for it :)

@athros Same! I have been using QuickThoughts to get as much money as possible for when this update comes out.
    @John @Simeon Do you have a set price for it yet? If not, an approximation?

So I am confused. Is Codea Craft a brand new app like Codea or just an update for Codea? I just bought Codea, should I have waited until Codea Craft?
    Also when is it coming out?
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@GR00G0 it's a free update to Codea with a whole new module focused on voxel-based 3D rendering and physics.

@Simeon cool. Thank you! Will it still be capable on all devices? And when will it come out? Can you add me on beta testing?
    My email is bri.sueess@gmail.com
  • Has it been in beta yet??

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Beekeeper928 It's been in beta since about April 25th. Looks good so far. The manual still needs to be completed to make it easier to use. There's also about 5 examples to show what can be done.

@dave1707 are they still inviting people to the beta?

@GR00G0 Send @Simeon a DM asking to be in the beta. Give him your email too.

• @dave1707 So once the manual is done then it's going to be realeased?

• edited May 2017 Posts: 69
    @Attila717 I did. I just havent got an answer or an invite.
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Beekeeper928 I'm just a MOD and beta tester. I have nothing to do with any updates, so I can't say when it will be released.

@GR00G0 Just be patient. If he doesn't respond in a few days or so, remind him. They've got a lot of fixes, updates, and bugs to think about right now.

• edited May 2017 Posts: 69
    I know how to do this with normal 3d meshes, but how would I do this in codea craft. I want to generate a sphere, and wrap a 2x1(for example a 512x256) image around it to make it look like a planet. Also how do I get started with Codea craft? I am kindof confused as how to show stuff.

Edit: As I said in a previous post. I am not looking for making something like minecraft, i want to make something like ksp, some space game basically. Can I do that with Codea Craft?

@GR00G0 As previously stated, John's working on a manual right now and you can check out the work in progress edition here: https://twolivesleft.com/CodeaCraft/Manual/
    As for wether you can make KSP in Codea, yes, I believe you can.
    (By the way, if you want to discuss the beta, please do so in the appropriate beta topic https://codea.io/talk/discussion/8298/codea-2-5-74-75-beta#latest)

How do I generate a Terrain wich doesnt look blocky, but more like a normal Terrain? And also how do i map a surface picture of earth around a sphere?

@GR00G0 For Terrain, take a look at the Planet 3D project. See if you can take that idea and turn it into what you're looking for. We've only had the beta for a little while, so I don't think anyone has done what you're trying to do yet. The same thing goes for your question about mapping a sphere. We haven't done it yet and the documentation that (I presume) will explain how to do it isn't here yet. So you'll either have to use a lot of creativity or a little bit of patience. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@GR00G0 See the links below. These are from Nov 2013. The code probably does a lot more than what you want. It shows where some of the users back then were located on the globe.

Link to discussion
    https://codea.io/talk/discussion/4131/enjoy

Link to code
    https://gist.github.com/dermotbalson/7590746

@dave1707 I can generate spheres with a texture with normal 3d Meshes.

So I tried to raise some vertices of a sphere slightly and got some weird results. Does anyone see what I did wrong here? I am really not sure.
    Code:

-- Craft

-- Use this function to perform your initial setup
    function setup()

craft.scene.camera.position = vec3(0,0,5)
        craft.scene.camera.rotation = quat.eulerAngles(0,0,180)

sphere = craft.entity()
        renderer = sphere:add(craft.renderer,craft.mesh.icoSphere(1,5,true))
        renderer.material = craft.material("Materials:Standard")

for i = 0, renderer.mesh.vertexCount-1 do
            if noise(renderer.mesh:position(i)) < 0 then
                renderer.mesh:color(i,0,0,255,255)
            else
                renderer.mesh:color(i,0,255,0,255)
            end
            renderer.mesh:position(i,getpos(renderer.mesh:position(i)))
        end

end

function update()
        sphere.rotation = quat.eulerAngles(45*ElapsedTime,45*ElapsedTime,45*ElapsedTime)
    end

function getpos(x,y,z)
        local n = map(noise(x,y,z),-1,1,0.99,1.01)
        return vec3(n*x,n*y,n*z)
    end

function map(v,a,b,c,d)
        return c + (d-c)*((v-a)/(b-a))
    end

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@GR00G0 Please move your post to the beta thread for discussion of issues like this.

@John
    Looks stunning

^ So CC is out already or what?

Thanks @CamelCoder!

as seen on twitter, available for testing :]

@John was that planet generated randomly or it's texture is fixed?

@TokOut I think it was generated randomly using heightsplats
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 237

@TokOut @GR00G0 You should follow @John and @Simeon on twitter, because they are constantly adding info about the updates. For that one, @John said that he used a sort of texture thats shaped like a sideways T, which added powerful functionality and versatility. So I believe it was a fixed texture. But @GR00G0 is also correct, there are randomized height splats.

It's so beautiful. How many lines of code did it take for you?

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@TokOut About 90 or so.

All the Craft examples are now on github:
    https://github.com/JohnTM/Craft-Examples/blob/master/Lights.codea/Main.lua

Hey, @John, so few code! In my opinion Codea is the best application/coding/game in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• em2em2

It's been a while since the last comment. Any updates?

@em2: It's Beta already. I don't think any more will come.

@em2 you should follow Simeon and John and CodeaCommits on Twitter, they’re posting updates there.

• Sorry to be a drooly Julie but this looks so freaking awesome I can't wait.

@BetaMembers: How is it, till now?

• Every day I think of you guys I pray that codea craft come out beautifully and quickly so that I can get to work on my projects I'm really looking forward to the new version of Codea craft thanks for your hard work and good luck if you believe in luck LOL oh by the way I was wondering if you haven't yet no pressure but if you are going to let me know if I can print onto 3-D printer with the images that you give us in Codea craft supposedly the only file it takes is G code on 101hero like I said no pressure I already bought a converter for files so I have a broad selection to work with I am hoping I can use this on an old iPad mini though if you can manage that because that's what I have to work with otherwise I'll have to buy a new iPad ...may God bless you and keep you strong in spirit and goodness

• edited September 2017 Posts: 809

Every day I think of you guys I pray that codea craft come out beautifully and quickly and laggy. I guess. Hosting 300x300x100 worlds with voxels will be a thing. But there is no fix for this.

Also: I saw Johns post about elements. Will be GIFS added?

Would be cool to have x = gif(100, 100, 10), where the arguments are: X, Y, LAYERS

• keep it up John I rooting for you .& may you have an abundance of what you need with no stress & some good to spare... God bless you

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

Good news everyone. Codea 2.5 (Craft Update) has been submitted for approval on the AppStore and should be available soon!

• Is it frowned upon to post immateria such as "HOOOORAYYYY!!!" in this thread? Because if not:

HOOOORAYYYYYY!!!

...and if so, I apologize for imposing a tedious exuberance on all. :)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    It’s out!