Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Frame buffer for feedback effects

in Shaders Posts: 100

I'm wondering how I can make an opengl frame buffer that captures the screen to a texture that can be used in feedback effects?

Currently I'm experimenting with some of my realtime glsl optical flow shaders and want to have more flexibility. Ive been using a couple other apps to develop for glsl but codea seems very nice and I want to use it!

Comments

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

You can use setContext to render into an image buffer which can then be used as input to a shader. Is this kind of what you're thinking?

Cool, yeah it looks like making an image in the setup, setting that as the context in draw, and setting it back to the main window with setContext() works. I now have a rudimentary setup for making some multipass shaders that process sequentially. I noticed to use two textures I had to set the second one using myMesh.shader.texture2 = capturedTexture. When I tried setting myMesh.texture2 nothing happened.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@AxiomCrux that's correct, there are convenience setters for some of the default shader attributes (like texture), but your custom ones must be accessed through your shader instance.

@Simeon I have a program I made now that switches between a few shaders and captures them to images in different contexts, feeding them around to each other. But for some reason the program seems to lock up after a while of running. I am wondering if there is any housekeeping or potential garbage that is accumulating in ram if Im flipping different shaders onto my m:shader and drawing to different named image(WIDTH,HEIGHT)?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@AxiomCrux if you want to share it with me I'll run it through the instrumentation to check for memory leaks in the Codea runtime.