Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

limits of codea?

in Questions Posts: 4

i read somewhere on here that making a complex game like civ 5 would be probably a bad idea.

but im very new to coding, so how reasonably complicated can you make a game in codea?

could you make a rpg size game? with loads of content and things to lvl up?

very new to codea just downloaded a few days ago, there also doesnt seem to be many places to learn through tutorials, only really found these forums and like 1 other place, and a few youtube vids here and there not much though. would the best way to learn just be to learn lua? or continue going through projects like i am now to see how they work? seems slow but is that the best way to learn?

Comments

Codea is pretty hefty, and it can withstand most complex games. Yes, you could make an RPG with content-heavy gameplay as long as you have the time and machinery (Like, an iPod touch 3rd gen probably isn't reasonable for that).
    That's the catch, though. RPGs can get R E A L L Y code heavy because of the content, and chances are, you probably won't want a 1GB program on your device (Unless you plan on selling it) just laying there.

Best resource for learning Codea is @Ignatz blog:

https://coolcodea.wordpress.com

In terms of what it's capable of, you can see App Store releases made with Codea here:

https://codea.io/talk/discussion/1983/app-store-games-and-apps-made-with-codea#latest

In terms of making an RPG, where you might struggle is in terms of content management. Codea doesn't have Sprite editors/ tilemap editors built in, so you'd either have to write your own, or work out a way to import files created in tilekit/ spritesomething or whatever other tools you want to use.

mi confused @yojimbo2000 , i was under the assumption i could just link my dropbox sprites into the game? and theres a few pixel editors on ipad, but do you mean like as far as animations go? yea like how would i go about having animated sprites? is that possible in codea? most of the examples dont seem to be animated.

oh i get you, you mean like the world? creating the tilemaps.... yea that was something i didnt think of actually... hm

omg his tutorials seem very detailed! thank you @yojimbo2000