Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

beta 1.4 feedback

2»

Comments

One request: when there's an alpha character within the parens of a command like color(), can you turn off the auto select?

I'm forever being frustrated by my inability to select a value within a programmatically defined color, stroke, etc. Having to select outside the statement and scroll in just to change "i * 10" into "I * 11" is a pain.

Also, nifty as the design is, does anyone really use the number selects? I find them much more of a problem than an aid.

• BortelsBortels Mod

I find the number spinnies more trouble than they're worth - but they're a lot easier to avoid now, at least.

I noticed today that the cursor controls don't let you jump to the lower part of a wrapped-around line. I can't remember if that was the case before...

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited May 2012 Posts: 5,706

@Fred they should let you if you tap the key (either side) rather than drag.

Edit: Ah, word wrapped, I'm not sure either.

Oh wow, didn't realise the tap left or right feature was still available on the little new buttons! Maybe we need a video tutorial to demonstrate all the subtle features?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

I plan to add a little web page to the news-line on the home screen ("New Features in 1.4") that goes through how to use Dropbox, the new buttons, and more.

That would be good, @Simeon. Another thing I just noticed is that my CurrentTouch.y seems to be offset by +6... Am I doing it wrong or has something changed?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

That's very odd. How did you determine the +6 offset?

Hi @Simeon, I noticed it when I made a two-dimensional array to match the screen resolution, and kept crashing out of bounds up the top edge of the screen. So I ignored the array indexing and used text() to display the CurrentTouch.y and noticed I never got down lower than 7... and it reached 773. I just tried it in a fresh empty project and same effect:

-- Use this function to perform your initial setup function setup()     print("Hello World!") end -- This function gets called once every frame function draw()     -- This sets a dark background color      background(40, 40, 50)     -- This sets the line thickness     strokeWidth(5)     -- Do your drawing here     text(CurrentTouch.x .." ".. CurrentTouch.y, WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2 ) end
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Fred interesting, thanks for sharing this discovery. I've looked into it using the iPad simulator so I can test precisely, with a mouse. The touch appears to be directly under the mouse cursor.

I suspect that iOS on the device applies a slight upwards offset to make the touch appear under your finger — since you generally look at the iPad at a slight angle. (If you've ever tried to use an iPad upside down, across a table, you will realise how difficult it is to hit buttons and controls when the offset is not in your favour.)

Wow... they are messing with me... :) I also discovered that the max is 767 in the left landscape orientation but the min is still 7. Yes I've wondered why upside down was so hard...

Me again, @Simeon... :) I love the new project screen. It's much faster to find things. I'm having quite a few crashes, however, when I try to open a project from the arrow in the pop up menu.

@Fred @Simeon I've been having those crashes too. Seems fairly random to me.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Fred @frosty I think I fixed them — will do a new build shortly.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Just uploading a new build. Let me know if it fixes the crashes.

Also let me know what you think of the code search feature. To use it tap the function browser button on the keyboard in the editor, then type in the search box.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 159

I haven't had the crash yet, since upgrading :) fingers crossed!

The code search is really nice! I love the way the highlight expands as you type. However, I have one issue: the window is perhaps too narrow, or it needs to be scrollable horizontally or something. See the following image, you can't see some of the matches because of the code indentation:

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@frosty I'll make the window a lot wider. It may not catch all terms, but it should be more useable.

Crash fixed thanks @Simeon.

A comment on the code search, @Simeon: so good to be able to find things! I noticed the results window doesn't update when I switch back to code and change something and then bring up the search results again. I'm doing find and manual replace... :) needless to say replace would be a great feature in the future.

• BortelsBortels Mod

Sorry to resurrect old thread - I seem to have blown up my codea beta registration during an ill-fated iPad 5.1 upgrade. Odd, because everything else survived. Not even sure how to fix it on my side.

Anyway - my old regs are toast. Not to worry until there's a 1.5 beta (which will include teleportation, holograms, and realtime vision systems) I guess :-)

listProjectData is brilliant. Maybe not life changing, but... close!

Thank you.