Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cargo-Bot

SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
edited April 2012 in General Posts: 5,029

I want to introduce you all to Cargo-Bot. It's the first game programmed with Codea to be released on the App Store.

Full website

Free on the iTunes App Store

Cargo-Bot is a collaboration between Rui Viana (you'll know him as @ruilov on the forums), Fred Bogg (@Fred, who created the ABC Music Player) and me. It was borne out of Rui's Roboarm prototype: http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/398/roboarm/p1

It's been a few months since we started working on it, and now it's finally finished. It's set to be released for free on Tuesday April 24.

In addition, we will soon have the Codea runtime source code uploaded to github. This will allow any registered iOS developer to turn their Codea project into a native iOS App. The same project used to build Cargo-Bot.

Let me know what you think.

Comments

It's a terrific game. I've handed it to my "programming is boring" son and gotten him involved in finding solutions. It's like a gateway drug for coding!

And darn it, I'm still only getting two stars on level 4. There has to be a way...

Congrats on getting this out there, @Simeon. A big step for Codea.

And congrats to @ruilov and @Fred! Great work, guys.

Congrats! Very cool.

Will the code be available anywhere for us to marvel at and learn from?

Fantastic work, guys! Cargo Bot is super polished and fiendishly tricky :)

Can't wait for the grand open sourcing!

Ha! I just read about this on 9 to 5 Mac!

Congratulations @ruilov and @Fred and of course to the whole TTL team!

• edited April 2012 Posts: 37

The app is great guys! Very tricky and looks very professional - shows what can be done with Codea! A real inspiration to us newbs. Will be very interested to see the source code.

What Mark said.

(Only the one I'm stuck on is a bit higher up than level 4 ...)

Hi All,

Very impressed guys, this is inspiring. I had no idea that it would be feasible to compile Codea code into iOS code and get it into the iTunes system. Keep up the good work.

Question - do we have to be registered with Apple, as developers, to get free apps into the system?

Or are we forced to pay the annual registration fee?

Waiting for your next package.

Bri_G

:-D

YAY! Love it! Looking forward to the open source!

I'll share the code at some point - it's a lot of tabs so have to figure out a good way. In the meantime, Andrew Stacey had mentioned this to me and I just checked that it works, if you take a look inside the directory tree of Cargo-Bot, it will be under Cargo-Bot.app/Project.Codea

Warning: stay away from Solutions.lua. It's a dangerous virus that will format every hard drive disk within a 50 foot radius.

Haha. @ruilov - That's funny. I just was about to check to see if that was the case. Will we have to use LuaDeck to see the code, or do you know if it will be destroyed to an unreadable state like with most Lua code files in the app store?

• beebee

WOW! It's awesome! Impressive! Congratulations Two Lives Left! And to @ruilov and @andrew_stacey too! You guys rock! :)

Cool!! That awesome!

That's super exciting - and congratulations guys!

(And I'm hanging out for the runtime...)

Just got my new iPad and Codea was the first thing I installed.
    CargoBot looks amazing and I'm totally inspired. Just got to get a Bluetooth keyboard now as the onscreen editor is "Kettling ma swede" :)

I just got the New iPad and Codea looks amazing, but Cargo-Bot is still downloading. Looking forward to BattleChips on the AppStore.

Congratulations to the Codea team!

Cargo-Bot is now the top free iPad app in the Polish store! (And Codea jumped quite a few places up, too.)

Massive congrats @ruilov, @Fred and @Simeon. Really fun game and a huge accomplishment in so many ways!

I just tried it and it looks great. Any chance of translating it to French (so that my son can play)? I can definitely give a hand.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 76

@ruilov Do you plan to run the Cargo-Bot on iPhone? I would love to play the game on iPhone too. Thank you for creating such an incredible game.

@sanit, I haven't thought about that one yet. It was a LOT more work than I ever imagined to go from prototype to final app. @Simeon's help with the art was fundamental as I might as well not have arms when it comes to drawing. Perhaps if another codea user is willing to partner up, I'd take on an iphone version.

Other things that would be cool: online version, leader boards, ability to create and share puzzles...

I am just curious about the game on iPhone. I am not good at art work. However, I have fun to play the game on iPad. Thanks again for your information.

Hi All,

Suggestion for next version. I find it frustrating with games where solutions are loaded from one person when another person wants to use it. I think it would be useful to log on so that each users progress can be recorded. It also allows you to build an achievements table - which adds a little competition element and drives further downloads.

Bri_G

:>

• BortelsBortels Mod

Just saw Cargo Bot is featured in the App store's "New and Noteworthy" section - gratz!

Maybe its time for in-app level purchases.

@Bortels - That's not it... Look here: http://www.topappcharts.com/519690804/app-details-cargo-bot.php
    And just to show Codea's awesomeness, it's amazing rankings are here:
    http://appslists.net/app/140112/Codea

Jlslate, making levels is hard and takes some luck. Hopefully i can make some new ones. If you have any ideas let me know!

Cargo-Bot is on Apple's "New and Noteworthy" list right now, parked next to Minecraft Pocket Edition.

Pretty good company.

How about a in-app purchase of a level editor? That would be really cool! =D>

I have two questions:
    1) How did you do the title screen?
    2) How did you do the pause button?
    I would love to be able to add these features to my project, and hopefully get it on the app store soon ;)

@Bieber208 - Elementary my dear Beiber. Classes. When it's time to draw the main screen, say mainScreen:draw() and same for the pause screen.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 86

EDIT

NVM, I figured it out. However, I can't figure out the pause button. @Simeon do you know what you guys did to make the pause button? If so can the same function be done by creating a new class?

@bieber208, the step button? Just keep a variable like "playing" and set it to true. Only keep the game going if playing is true. When the user presses the step button, playing is set to false.

Yes i have done something like this. however, i do not know how to make the button detect touches

• edited April 2012 Posts: 86

@ruilov
    i have done

if playing == false then
        function draw()
        background(0,0,0,0)
        pause:draw()
    --pause is a sprite from spritely that reads "PAUSED"
    elseif playing == true then
        function draw()
    --my program

now i need to do something for if pause button touched playing = false and when this is done if anywhere is touched playing = true. Any ideas on how to do this?

@ruilov i have done

if playing == false then function draw() background(0,0,0,0) pause:draw() --pause is a sprite from spritely that reads "PAUSED" elseif playing == true then function draw() --my program

now i need to do something for if pause button touched playing = false and when this is done if anywhere touched playing = true. Any ideas on how to do this?

Hi, fantastic job with this game! I'm really having fun looking for 3 stars solution, and I already know that I will re-play over and over until I'll find out all the shortest solutions!

btw, do you have a bug tracker system to report bugs? i got a couple of strange behaviours and I'd like to report them.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 447

@shrike, glad you're enjoying it!

It would be really helpful if you could report them here. Thanks!

Ok, so there:

• first thing is that once happened that the app slow down in performance significally (the cargo movement was like dropping). It happened after I reopened the app a lot of time, having that alive in background when browsing or doing other. For what I can remember the app was never reset during this period. It could be some memory issue related to the multitask support.

• second, If you get the right timing and press the 'step' button when the level is done (i was playing the solution with double speed), just when the 'red stars tent' is showing, tadà! you see a strange glitch, and if you replay the level, the level restart but the tent (the panel?) stay there, covering everithing but the cargo operation area. you can still play, if you remember the position of things! but if you just press play and the level finish again, it crashes.

I have a picture if you need, btw what you see at that point is the classic codea execution environment, on the right the play area completely dark, on the left a 'dt' parameter with a value of 1.6257 and the debug console showing:

TEST
    TEST
    TEST
    TEST
    TEST
    TEST
    TEST
    TEST
    TEST
    error:[string "..Panel.lua.."]:18:adding duplicate obj
    Pausing playback

If the repro steps are not clear enough just ask!

@shrike, thank you! The step thing will be fixed in an update soon.

I hadn't noticed the slowness, it's weird indeed. For me the app does reset often when I switch in/out of it (I also don't know why) so probably why I haven't noticed. This may be a codea runtime env issue. @Simeon, what do you think?

The reset of a backgrounded app depends on how iOS handles multitask and on how an app is implemented. the codea runtime library support multitask api, so until there's free memory the app is keep alive. if there're too many other open apps and the system go in low memory state some apps are 'killed', and so reset when open again.

The loss of performance coud be related to memory issues or at lua vm level or, more probable, at xcode level. btw it happened just once. if I will reproduce the problem I'll give you maybe better details.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@ruilov it gets unloaded to free up memory for other apps. I think this is mainly due to the space occupied by the music — it probably eats a lot of memory.

I'll check, but I think it is in the order of about 30 meg, if that helps.

Great game ... I played the dang thing in bed until 3am last night! It is the reason I bought Codea this morning. Very nice job.....simple unique concept, terribly addictive.

Oh did I mention that Cargo Bot has 4 hidden levels? :)

They are levels that didn't make the cut, either because they were too hard or can be hacked.

To see them, first beat the last level and then press "Next"

@shrike, @Simeon, @Ruilov, the current version uses 22 Mb of memory for the music. I've redone the cache allocation to reduce this by half in future updates.

• cjrcjr

I hope for a level-editor and extra levels too. Ideally, a set of "standard" levels selected by an editorial board (or just the original designer) to avoid too much confusion.

At the same time, perhaps a clean-up to move some of the levels to the right difficulty would be in place.

Cargo Bot is really clean, but it seems that there might also be room for some extra elements, or elements that combine several of the existing ones into one register. And multi-colored boxes perhaps, or other special objects (paint? bombs?).

• edited May 2012 Posts: 447

cjr, thanks for the feedback. What levels do you think are out of order? difficulty is a bit subjective and sometimes hard to evaluate so would be great to hear what you think

Multi colored boxes is a very interesting idea. Will see if I can figure out some levels that depend on it

I'm in the same class as Mark's son - err... I mean "programming is boring", it caused me to drop out of uni, but I love this game. I have a graphical suggestion for next version update... instead of the hoist smashing itself to bits in one move, it would give me more thinking time if it slowly disintegrated after repeatedly smashing up against the post. It's a bit how I feel until I finally get it. :)