Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea Runtime Library

13»

Comments

• My understanding is that if you change the version number in the project info pList it will recopy the lua files into the App document directory. When the runtime is executed it copies the Lua files from the Project.codea folder into the iPad's document folder for this App.

If you use saveProjectInfo to save the version number it is saved in Info.plist. This pList also includes a key called "Buffer Order" which tells the runtime which order your tabs should be loaded in. I suggest you dont try to hack this (because I'm not sure what else you might have to change) but force the runtime to reload the lua files by changing the version.

There are some gotchas to watch out for though which you can read about here: http://codeatuts.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/tutorial-13-submitting-to-app-store.html

• I have missed something for sure in setting this up, following the Tutorial from @Reefwing
    Everything seems to work unless I cannot get anything else than the Dungeon Roller to load in the iPad 6.0 Simulator.
    Under Classes in the Codea Template folder I have Project.codea with my imported files, but still it runs the default game ??
    My knowledge of x-code is very near zero, so where do I start to debug ?
    Have tried to restart x-code but still the same

Re Peter

You might need to remove the app from your iPad and hen build it again with your project.

@macflyerdk I had the same problem initially, but I did have to do two things:
    1) Make sure that I UPDATED THE VERSION #. deployment is very picky about that. Change it to anything onther than what it was, less, more, doesn't matter. must be different.
    2) Maks sure you are building the correct project. I know tht sounds obvious, but I built the default project after deploying my code simply because the proccess is cumbersome. Open a few of the LUA files in XCode to make sure only your stuff is there.

• Now I have something running, but still not in order.
    My code in main is very very simple for testing:

function setup() displayMode(FULLSCREEN) end
    function draw() background(100,100,100,255) end

In the output box this line keeps on running.....
    "2012-11-29 10:47:30.323 macflyerCodea[77994:c07] draw is not a Lua function"

Don't understand that ! Should draw be named something else ?

Weird. That code seems right, though sparse. I'm guessing you are missing a library or some portion of the runtime isn't getting linked with your code (or vice versa).

I've compiled a simple circle touch game for my kids and was able to get that running, but that was months ago.

.@macflyerdk - I had the same problem as you initially. The runtime checks the version number of your code and only updates the Lua files if this changes.

I suggest that you go into the CodifyAppDelegate.m file, find the - (BOOL) migrateProjectAtPath:(NSString)path toPath:(NSString)destPath method and comment out the following code as shown below. This will make the runtime reload your Lua code regardless of the version number. It makes debugging much less tedious.

// NSString* oldVersion = [self versionForProjectAtPath:destPath]; // NSString* newVersion = [self versionForProjectAtPath:path]; // if ([oldVersion isEqualToString:newVersion]) // { // return YES; // }
  • Is this something we can only use on a Mac, or with a combination of Lua for Windows, Love2d and the LoveCodify tools, can we program for Codea in Windows (he said hopefully)?

• Hi guys, I 've been trying to run my demo Codea app on a real Ipad and on the IOS simulator, but the running app is always the Dungeon Roller. I followed all the instructions shown here (http://codeatuts.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/tutorial-12-submitting-to-app-store.html) without any sucess. Any sugestion available ? thanks

Follow the instructions again, you didn't overwrite the sample code with your codea project.

• thanks, @aciolino. You are right, I didn´t overwrite the sample code... (twice :-) )

Now its working.... :-)

By the way, I was expecting that the performance of the code was as fast as the code built directly in Ipad and executed through Codea, but the fps, drops a little...anyone else noticed that?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

.@pcarras you are probably in Debug mode (the default run mode in Xcode). Also — you will find the iOS simulator much slower, since it uses software rendering.

• I have the same problem that some guys before me, my xcode still run Dungeon Roller.
    I try it about 5 times :)... I did everything by tutorial except copy my project into Xcode Projects folder which is optional. I will do it but I use MacinCloud and I dont have accest to do it. Any suggestions? btw: videotutorial will be great...

.@Cabernet - As mentioned above, the runtime checks the version number of your code and only updates the Lua files if this changes. If dungeon roller has the same version number as your code, which is quite possible, then it wont update.

I suggest that you go into the CodifyAppDelegate.m file, find the - (BOOL) migrateProjectAtPath:(NSString)path toPath:(NSString)destPath method and comment out the following code as shown below. This will make the runtime reload your Lua code regardless of the version number. It makes debugging much less tedious.

// NSString* oldVersion = [self versionForProjectAtPath:destPath];
    // NSString* newVersion = [self versionForProjectAtPath:path];

// if ([oldVersion isEqualToString:newVersion]) 

//    {
    //        return YES;
    //    }

• edited January 2013 Posts: 97

I got it finally. I just run console and there see my problem. Thanks

• Does the Runtime Library support Codea 1.5?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Not yet, but we will be updating the library to support the latest Codea features.

• Darn... Well, guess ill just have to wait then

Since the iOS 6.1 update came out, I've been getting some reports of problems from ChipBot users on iPad 3 or 4. For some reason, touch response seems to have become unreliable. IPad 1, 2 and mini seem unaffected. I'm digging through code to see if I can find an issue on my end, but wanted to bring it up in case anyone else is having issues.

Touch seems to be much slower on the runtime than in Codea for the code I've tried. I've been hoping for a 1.5 release to solve these issues.

• edited March 2013 Posts: 48

Can you give an ETA for the new Runtime Library?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

.@wave we're currently working on creating the new Runtime for Codea 1.5. I can't give a good estimate, but it's the current priority — that is, it's the next feature we hope to have for Codea.

Great news!

Any ETA on this? I'm curious when can start publishing stuff with the new runtime.

Glad to see that a1.5.2 was submitted with XCode support! Woohoo!

• Google Translate:
    Hello Simeon,
    I beg you to publish the update to CODEA Runtime Library. Personally I learned to program for iOS studying the code in version 1.4, but it is from 2012 that is not published an update. The source code as well as being very useful in terms of learning, allowing you to customize and expand the applications created with CODEA, surpassing all limits CODEA same.