Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iOS11 and Codea?

while awaiting the new version of Codea, is the current version 'useable' with the new iOS11?

Comments

• I've been using it successfully since the early iOS 11 betas.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky I have both versions of Codea, the lastest Craft and the latest regular version. I would check how they work on iOS 11, but it shows in my update screen that iOS 11 is 1.8 GB in size. I looked thru the list of what's new in that version and I would say that 98% is total garbage for me. I think Apple ran out of useful things and is just adding whatever they can think of just to say they have a new release. You look thru the complaints from users about other releases and it doesn't seem like Apple fixes anything that's wrong. So I don't think I'll load iOS 11 anytime soon. If I do load iOS 11 at some point, I wonder how much stuff I'll have to delete to make enough room for the update.

@dave1707 are you trolling us? :p iOS 11 is the biggest update for iPad there's ever been. Multitasking improvements, drag-and-drop, access to the file system via the Files app. If/ when 3rd-party-apps add support for things like the new document browser and file provider extensions and drag-and-drop, it will make a massive difference to productivity apps on iPad.

And that's before you get to fun stuff like ARKit (tho you need a newer device for that, A9 or later), which looks like it will be supported in CodeaCraft.

• Updated smoothly to iOS11 and so far codea works fine.
    The new dock and app switching is great, the AR looks impressive. Very impatient for the new CodeaCraft with AR!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky What type of iPad do you have and how much memory. How much free memory did you have when you did the update. I have a 16GB iPad Air with 4.57GB free.

• em2em2

My iPad Air is also 16GB running iOS 11 and Codea works great, although some of my projects crash Codea when I leave the app and return.

IOS 11 installed OK no issues. IPad Pro now 11.0.
    So far don’t see the benefits but early days. File manager looks interesting but have problems moving files from folder to folder on iCloud.

Are we able to use enhanced file management in Codea yet?

Whoopee, just tried file manager this morning after rebooting my pad and the file movement now obvious. Problem with File Manager must have been hangover from last night‘s 11 installation

• @dave1707 i’m using a ipad pro 12.9 (first version) with 128GB. As i have a lot memory, i didn’t bother to keep a track of the free space. When is your birthday? you should treat yourself!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky I also have an iPad Pro 12.9 128GB. The iPad Pro is big and heavy so I prefer to use the iPad Air when using Codea.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@yojimbo2000 No I'm not trolling. Looking thru the list of things included in iOS 11, here are some things I don't understand why they're in the operating system.
    1. Indoor maps for major airports and shopping centers
    2. Lane guidance and speed limit information with Turn-by-turn directions
    3. All-new App Store designed for discovering great apps and games everyday
    4. New Today tab helps you discover new apps and games with stories, how-to guides, and more
    5. New Games tab to find new games and see what’s most popular with top game charts
    6. Dedicated Apps tab with top picks, dedicated app charts, and app categories
    7. App pages include more video previews, Editors’ Choice badges, easier access to user ratings, and information about in-app purchases

These are just a few of the things in the iOS 11 list that I don't understand. An operating system should do just that, operate the system for the device being used. If you want other things, there's an app for that. Maybe my idea of an operating system is different from everyone else's. I usually wait a week or so before I update to the latest OS just to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.

Finding the new App Store a pain. Looking for alternative to GoodReader as not iOS 11 compatible and seems to be a problem with the search page on the store. Long busy periods just watching the loading animation and flipping between screens. Actually entering search text difficult with page flipping. Very poor for an Apple system.
    Need to get a network and Cloud (not iCloud) manager. Any suggestions?

• em2em2

@Bri_G I agree the new App Store is awful. I find Documents 5 an excellent file manager and actually prefer it to GoodReader. The new files app may also work for you, but for me it is total junk.

The Files app was described at WWDC as just a wrapper over the new DocumentBrowserViewController. Depending on the takeup of the DBVC, it means that iOS productivity apps will have the same open/ save dialog, like apps do on Mac or Windows. You can save and create files anywhere. It means there's not a lot of point in apps having their own iCloud containers like they've had to have in the past. Working on an iPad will be a lot more like working on a PC.

One annoyance with Files is that it sets itself as the default app for common filetypes like pdf. Its pdf viewer is really underpowered, annoying if you have much more capable pdf viewers on your system. But then, with drag-and-drop, you can just drag and drop the pdf into PdfExpert. I think Files should be single-repsonsibility, just for manipulating files, and shouldn't open anything at all.

Overall though, having a common system across all apps for manipulating files with tagging, file providers, multiple item drag-and-drop massively outweighs gripes like that. @em2 I'm curious why you think it's junk? In the past we've needed swiss-army-knife apps like Readdle Documents, which covers file manipulating, pdf markup, unzipping etc, because iOS has been so sandboxed. But now we won't need those multi-use apps. You'll have one app just for zip/ unzip, one for pdf markup, one for moving files into folders etc, just like on the desktop.

• em2em2
    edited September 2017 Posts: 194

@yojimbo2000 What really irritates me about the files app is that it forces you to use iCloud Drive to store your documents. When backups fill up the free quota, annoying messages will pop up unstoppably without warning until you choose to upgrade to their pricey plans.

With all my files organized in (Readdle) Documents, the new DocumentBrowserViewController has broken access to it from webpages and I can no longer upload files. I will check now to see if the app update fixes the problem.

I've got absolutely no problem with most of the other changes Apple has made, except for the hideous new App Store. I am especially looking forward to many other apps integrating drag and drop features. Maybe Codea will too?

• em2em2

Aha! Upon updating [the app], location uploading works. I'll still probably stick to it as my main file manager on iOS until Apple decides to allow offline storage.

@em2 Files doesn't make you use iCloud. Any 3rd party app that implements the new FileProvider API is available as a storage location in Files (in "Locations" in the top-left corner). Some 3rd party providers might not have updated yet (the Dropbox one just came out yesterday). I don't know about Readdle Documents, but PDF Expert (also by Readdle) is also available as a location.

• em2em2

@yojimbo2000 exactly my problem. I can browse the location from Files, but it's unnecessary to use it because I can just use the app that provides the location, in my case Documents. File transfer between apps can be done with "Open in..." or drag and drop. I never use iCloud drive. Therefore (to me), it's junk.

Hi All,
    just looking at the Voronoi mapping from @em2 and found a slight issue with iOS11 and bottom controls in a running project. Found, whilst trying to take a project image or stepping out of run-mode, that the multi tasking panel pops up. Not a major issue but would be useful to avoid it by relocating the buttons to another corner.

• em2em2

@Bri_G I am not encountering the same problem, but yours looks pretty strange. Could you elaborate on it more please?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G Are you talking about the iOS 11 dock. It doesn't take much of a movement at the bottom of the screen for it to show.

Yeah, the multitasking panel - which I find really useful. Found it popping up when using finger control near the bottom left corner. When I tried to switch to edit mode the dock popped up. More a nuisance than a real problem.

• em2em2

Unfortunately, that's not a Codea bug. I suppose apple made the gesture sensitive to easily detect the difference between a swipe up for the dock or a swipe up for the control center.

• em2em2

Actually, I think less sensitivity would be better. A longer swipe should be required to bring it up.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,553

@Bri_G @em2 Since it's an Apple bug, I think the 2 of you should contact Apple and let them know so they can fix it. Oh wait, Apple doesn't fix bugs in they're code, you just have to work around it until they get around to changing it in a few releases from now.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

One thing I noticed about iOS 11 Files is that it doesn’t show files that begin with a . (period) . I have several Codea files that begin with a . so they stay at the beginning of my sorted project list. Guess I have to rename them to start with something else.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@dave1707 This is probably because MacOS and it's derivatives consider things starting with a period to be hidden system files or settings.

Already an update on 11, for security - possibly involving the file manager? Anyone have info on this?

• em2em2

@Bri_G @dave1707 that's default behavior on MacOS, and it was passed on to iOS for consistency, as @John noted. Files and folders beginning with a period are typically reserved for the system and protected by hiding them because changing them may break the software. Disabling this is very difficult on Mac, and probably impossible on iOS.

Another bug: Shaders disappear from the [shader lab] editor without warning. Expecting the file to auto save, I left the app for a short while and upon returning, all the work I had done disappeared, leaving the default shader template.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

To me, iOS 11 doesn’t seem to be as responsive as previous versions. Some buttons on apps don’t respond like they used too. In the Mail app, if I delete my incoming email, it takes a long time for the email count to go down and disappear. Another thing, in the App Store, why does the purchased apps only shows in a small window instead of the whole screen. I think Apple is trying to cram too much crap into their releases just so they have something to release. They also take things that work perfectly and screw them up.

Hi All,
    Just mentioned, in the beta thread, that the video on/off button seems a little slow. I was wondering if this is due to the iOS 11 dock and Apple giving priority to OS calls close to the bottom of the pad screen. This could possibly influence controls sited around there. Anyone seen similar effects with other apps?
  • dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G What I noticed with the video is the first time I try to use it, it doesn’t seem to respond but then puts up a popup asking if I want to use the video. Once it starts, it take a lot to get it to stop. After that, it just takes a light touch to start and stop the video. I’ve had the video popup message show a couple of times, so I’m not sure what controls allowing the video.

@dave1707

More or less what I saw. When I checked Codea was set to save video to iCloud and saves three files (one vid and two text). Saving a 3 minute video worked after trial and error, but subsequent ones ran into the problem of slow button response and looked like long video had been dumped for short video due to my frustration with the button response.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

I’ve had to reboot my iPad twice so far because iOS 11 wouldn’t do something. Other things would work, but it would refuse to do that one thing. After the reboot it would work OK. For example, in the settings app, scrolling all the way to the bottom where it shows the apps on the iPad, if you tap on an app it should show options that can be changed for that app. There were some apps that whenever I tapped on them, the settings app would lock up and I would have to force close it. After the reboot, they worked OK.

@dave1707

What system are you using - mine is iPad Pro 9.7” iOS 11.0.1

Have you loaded the update yet?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

I’m on an iPad Air 1 with iOS 11.0.1 . The latest iOS is also on my iPad Pro 12.9”, but I haven’t used it that much. The iPad Air is the one I use the most.

@Bri_G If you want to record your screen, iOS 11 has built-in screen recording. You can add it as a widget to the notification center

@yojimbo2000 Hadn't picked up on that, will check it out. Didn't realise widgets were available on iPad.

@yojimbo2000 ,

Sussed this option up and works, a bit fiddly but also allows you to remove controls from image if needed. Need to get into video editing now. Thanks for the prompt.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

One thing I noticed. If I tap the + while in a project to create a blank file or new class, at the top of the keyboard is an area to key something and an image of a key. If I tap on the key, it shows me some links I have and the passwords I created for those links. What kind of security or lack of security does iOS 11 have. Now I have to figure out why it’s doing that.

• edited September 2017 Posts: 1,202

@dave1707

Wow, they seem to be passwords for other apps and you paste them into tab headers !!! Can confirm this - has Codea been hacked?

Also just loaded new project, after using the key search field and it had a password at the top of the new main page!!!

One thing I just noticed - above the project list is a search field where you can search for projects, I texted in “fall“ and found four projects with that in the title which it displayed on an otherwise project free page. There’s a clear icon on the right of the search field which returns your normal project page list or you can select one of the filtered projects in usual way. Never seen this before!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 @Bri_G damn, that's my fault.

Codea hasn't been hacked. I was trying to stop iOS interfering with text entry permanently (for example, double-tap space to insert period). So I marked the keyboard as "secure" — which stops iOS from touching the text there, but of course gives you the ability to paste your passwords in. I'll disable this for the next build.

@Simeon

Think it may be a deeper problem than that. Possibly an iOS issue - shouldn’t be able to pick up passwords from other apps in Codea. Think Apple need to be aware and to patch it from their code. The 11.0.1 upgrade was supposed to be a security update.

• i notice that in the files app, in the ‘on my ipad’ tab a codea folder is visible with lots of assets. i guess from the codea documents assets?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G it's not exactly that. Codea can't see any of your passwords, but because it advertises its editor as a "secure" text entry field iOS will allow you to enter passwords into it. Next build will fix this so the keychain keyboard will not show up in the Codea editor.

@piinthesky yeah I enabled Files support in Codea. Do you think it's useful to have? We could disable again.

• @simeon, yes i think it is useful.

Files allows me to create a sub-folder in the codea folder, is that handled correctly by Codea?

i guess at some point in the future, our Codea programs could also be handled by the files app and allowing folders?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

So far I’ve had to power off/on my iPad to fix iOS hangs or things not working correctly more than all of the other iOS releases combined. In fact, I don’t think I’ve had to power cycle my iPad at all for any of the previous releases. What a piece of crap iOS 11 is.

Hi All,

Looking at the Codea folder on ‘Files App’ and I find all my active files and examples folders/some folders with a project inside/examples/Craft examples/Documents folder/my own collections and local Dropbox content.

You should be able to copy to Dropbox by copying to the local Dropbox folder and syncing. I can’t see the Asset file folders, except Dropbox, which is a shame. Best use in organising my collections.

• @Bri_G ahhh, yes all the projects are also visible further down, not just the assets-cool!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited September 2017 Posts: 7,553

I’m finding the Files app to be totally useless. I used to be able to export Codea projects to a zip file and save them in the iCloud. I could then share that zip file with iZip and look at each file within the zip. I could also share that zip file with Codea and restore any project or asset. Now when I try to share the zip file with iZip, the Files app crashes. If I try to share the zip file with Codea, nothing happens. Apple is totally clueless with their iOS updates. Instead of improving things, they just screw them up and say it’s better.

PS. I want iOS 10 back.