Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you apply shaders to things drawn with the 2D tools?

Shaders are only for 3D objects, right?

If I apply a shader when I'm drawing some things using ellipse() for example, the shaders not gonna affect those ellipses, right?

In order to apply a shader to 2D art, I'd have to draw that art to a texture that was on a mesh, is that correct?

Tagged:

Comments

• Found something here by the esteemed @Ignatz, praise be his name!

Below is my effort to generalize it into code that can be used as a dependency by anyone.

I can't say it's robustly tested, but I can say it's currently working as a dependency in my own projects.

I hope it's of help to the next traveler this way...

--# Main --Shader2D --A way to apply (possibly any) 3D shaders to 2D drawing environments --can be used in (possibly any) other projects as a dependency, by following the instructions below function setup() --your setup function needs two things --1: call Shader2D.setup() with the shader, your 2Ddrawing function, and a shader updater --2: setup up any initial values your shader needs *directly on the Shader2D* Shader2D.setup(shader("Effects:Ripple"), draw2DsStuff, shaderUpdates) Shader2D.mesh.shader.freq = 2 end function draw() -- you already passed your 2D drawing function to Shader2D, so in this function just call: Shader2D.draw() end function draw2DsStuff() --an example of a 2D drawing function background(40, 40, 50) strokeWidth(5) fill(214, 226, 116, 255) spriteMode(CORNER) sprite("Cargo Bot:Game Area", 0, 0, WIDTH, HEIGHT) ellipse(WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2,HEIGHT/3) end function shaderUpdates() --a sample updater: this is what the ripple shader needs every frame Shader2D.mesh.shader.time = ElapsedTime end --# CustomFunctions Shader2D = {} function Shader2D.setup(thisShader, this2DDrawer, thisShaderUpdater) --creates the mesh and its texture and defines the drawing functions Shader2D.screen = image(WIDTH,HEIGHT) Shader2D.mesh = mesh() Shader2D.mesh:addRect(0,0,WIDTH,HEIGHT) Shader2D.mesh.shader = thisShader Shader2D.mesh.texture = Shader2D.screen Shader2D.draw2D = this2DDrawer Shader2D.updateShader = thisShaderUpdater end function Shader2D.draw() --draws the stored 2D drawing function to the mesh texture setContext(Shader2D.screen) Shader2D.draw2D() setContext() translate(WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2) --updates the shader and draws the mesh if Shader2D.updateShader ~= nil then Shader2D.updateShader() end Shader2D.mesh:draw() end

Shaders are applied to meshes. Meshes can be displayed in 2D or 3D. 2D is orthogonal projection, with all the objects as planes perpendicular to the camera. Codea's addRect/ setRect API is the best way to display meshes in 2D.

You can't as far as I know, apply a shader to the 2D primitive drawing commands (ellipse etc). Partly, this is because I believe the ellipse itself is drawn with a shader.

• @UberGoober Looking over your posted code, am I right in thinking that it's setting up a full screen mesh, drawing the 2D operations onto the mesh, and then applying the shader to that mesh?

• @mindless that's correct, I think. It's not my code originally but that's what it looks like to me too.

@yojimbo2000 I don't know anything about addRect/setRect, I'll have to look into that. As far as applying shader to an ellipse() command, I believe that's what this code does. If you run it, it draws an ellipse and then puts a ripple on it.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Anything that’s drawn on the mesh texture is modified by the shader. Shader2D.screen is an image the size of the screen. The sprite Cargo Bot:Game area is drawn on it along with an ellipse.

• Yes that's the point, this is a modular pre-rolled solution that lets you keep all your existing 2D drawing and easily lay a shader on top of it. It handles the 3D part for you, almost all you need to do is pick a shader and rename your existing draw function.