Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Where can I find project/local storage txt files?

in Questions Posts: 166

Can I look into all of my saved data somewhere?

When testing I often use names which I later forget to delete, so there’s a good chance there’s a lot of useless old data floating around.

I imagine it looks a lot like my pc’s old javascript cookie test folder before I actually looked into it. :neutral:

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Kirl Project data is removed when a project is deleted, so you shouldn’t have to worry about that. The problem is that any local data isn’t and will hang around forever, or at least until you delete Codea and reload it. One time when I did the iPad storage from SETTINGS, my Documents & Storage size was extreamly high. I deleted Codea and reloaded my projects and the size was just a fraction of what it was. The only problem is the project backup that used to work with Codea was broken with one of the releases and hasn’t been fix yet. You can save all your projects, but you can’t restore them yet.

Thanks Dave! Can you elaborate on the last bit about project backup? Do you mean getting saved project data back after deleting codea?

Also how do you generally handle saving multiple levels/data sets etc? Any naming conventions/best practices?

I always dwell on deciding whether to save things in one file/cookie and extract individual bits from the string data or just save every bit in its own cookie. Usually end up doing a bit of both, which is probably unwise...

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Kirl If you go to the Codea home page and tap the gear icon at the top right of the page and scroll all the way to the bottom, there’s a button to Export Projects. That will save all of your projects to a single zip file. At the end, you’ll be asked where you want the zip file to be saved. I save them to Dropbox in a bkup folder. You can then restore all or selected projects, but the restore option was broken in one of the later releases. I don’t think it was fixed yet. I don’t think it saves any global or project data either. You can probably play with the Export option to see how that works and you can try a restore to see how far you get without actually restoring anything or create a test project before the Export and see if you can restore it.