Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 3.0 ver. (108) & ver. (111) & ver. (116) & ver. (118)

dave1707dave1707 Mod
edited November 2018 in Beta Posts: 7,924

Add bug reports here.

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited November 2018 Posts: 7,924

Did the project export to zip. File created OK and saved in Dropbox app. Tried to do an export from Dropbox app. It opened Codea project list then crashed Codea.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

The microphone code seems to work OK. Not sure what to do with it yet.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 thank you for the quick report!

The plan is to release this version as iPad-only as Codea 2.6. Then continue working on 3.0 while addressing bugs as 2.6.x

• My ‘large’ 3D models work again-wonderful!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Found a bug with microphone. If mic was started and the project is closed, the mic is still started when the project is opened and run. If mic was stopped and the project was closed, then mic is stopped when the project is opened and run. It appears mic isn’t initialized to stop when a project is opened.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Just a note about mic.frequency. I have a metronome that has a setting to play a sound at 440. When I display the mic.frequency and set the metronome to 440, the text display shows 440 give or take a small fraction. So it’s good to know that the mic.frequency is right on.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Here’s a little program I threw together to demo the microphone.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)

function setup()
        mic.start()
        fill(255)
        tab={}
        z=1
        p=0
        sizeA=1000
        sizeF=.2
        strokeWidth(2)
    end

function draw()
        background(221, 209, 165, 255)
        stroke(0)
        line(200,10,200,HEIGHT)

text("mic.amplitude",70,HEIGHT*.8)
        text("mic.frequency",70,HEIGHT*.2)

for z=0,.3,.05 do
            line(200,HEIGHT*.7+z*sizeA,WIDTH,HEIGHT*.7+z*sizeA)
            text(z,160,HEIGHT*.7+z*sizeA)
        end

for z=0,2200,200 do
            line(200,10+z*sizeF,WIDTH,10+z*sizeF)
            text(z.."Hz",160,10+z*sizeF)
        end

tab[z]=vec2(mic.frequency,mic.amplitude)
        stroke(255,0,0)
        for z=p+2,#tab do
            line((z-1-p)*3+200,HEIGHT*.7+tab[z-1].y*sizeA,(z-p)*3+200,HEIGHT*.7+tab[z].y*sizeA)
            line((z-1-p)*3+200,10+tab[z-1].x*sizeF,(z-p)*3+200,10+tab[z].x*sizeF)
        end

z=z+1
        if z>250 then
            p=p+1
        end
    end

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I tried the zip import again today and it worked the first time. I tried it 2 more times and both times it crashed Codea. I tried it several more times and sometimes it worked and other times it crashed. The size of my zip file is 9.9MB.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited November 2018 Posts: 5,054

@dave1707 that mic test code is awesome!

Will release another version of Codea 3.0 with some fixes to see if that crash still occurs

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Codea Version 111. The Add New Project works OK, the background doesn’t show the project list anymore. The duplicate project still has a slight problem. It doesn’t hang Codea anymore, but after you key in a new project name and press create, there is a slight delay as Codea shrinks the project icon into the project list. Also, after Codea opens up the new project, if you then close the project, the list stays at the original project list position instead of scrolling to the new project name. I don’t know if that matters if you’re going to use the Files menu or not.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 yeah I kind of took a shortcut there when the project is not on screen. Does Add New Project always fail to show the background projects? I'm seeing them here (blurred out but they still show)

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here’s an update on the project zip import. The import seems to work if Codea isn’t running at all but is started by the import. If Codea was running and was moved to the background to do the import, then the import doesn’t work.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited November 2018 Posts: 5,054

@dave1707 oh good find, I'll try that.

Edit: ah I see what you mean. Looks like if you're not on the project browser screen it fails to show the import. I'll fix that.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here’s what I see when I do the add new project. This is perfect because before the project list wasn’t darkened and it was hard to see the enter name area.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here’s another slight problem. When Codea is started from scratch, the project list page flickers several times before it displays the project list. If Codea is in the background and started, it doesn’t flicker.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here’s something else, I don’t know how long this has been happening. If you’re in a project and double tap on a word, a popup shows. One of the choices is find. If you tap find, a list of lines with that word shows, but after about a second, the list disappeares.

111 won't open on my iPhone X iOS 12. @Simeon I saw earlier you said you planned to release this as iPad-only so maybe this is intentional? Any update on when the next build for iPhone is coming?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@JakAttak I forgot to mark 111 as Universal! Sorry, I'll fix that in the next build (you're not missing much over 108, just minor bug fixes)

• @simeon can you provide an example of how to use a Shade shader within Codea.

it seems 111 won't install on an iPhone actually so it must be 108 that is causing the crashing issue. Whatever the latest build with iPhone support is, I can't get it to open.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon There seems to be a problem with the mic commands and sound(). I tried adding a sound command to my mic example using touch. When I touched the screen to create a sound, the mic commands stop working. Not only that, the sound command will eventually stop working also. When that happened, I tried adjusting the volume level with the up/down side iPad buttons and noticed that the time it took to go from mute to full volume took about 9 seconds. When I totally close Codea the time from mute to full volume is about 3 seconds. Not sure what’s happening or if something is going into a long loop. Exiting and restarting the program doesn’t fix the problem, but a full close of Codea does.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Here’s a simple program to show the problem with the sound and mic commands. If you play a sound, the mic commands don’t work. If you start the mic commands, then sound won’t work. You have to start fresh (close Codea) to try different situations. Also, once you do this there is a slight delay when you tap sound the first time. The delay is gone on the second and above taps. And notice the FPS display will lock up for a second or two sometimes.

displayMode(FULLSCREEN)

function setup()
        stroke(255)
        strokeWidth(10)
    end

function draw()
        background(0)
        fill(255)
        text("touch above line for a sound",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2+50)
        text("touch below line to start mic commands",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2-50)
        text("FPS "..1//DeltaTime,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-50)
        text("amplitude "..mic.amplitude,WIDTH/2,250)
        text("frequency "..mic.frequency,WIDTH/2,200)
        line(0,HEIGHT/2,WIDTH,HEIGHT/2)  
    end

function touched(t)
        if t.state==BEGAN then
            if t.y>HEIGHT/2 then
                sound(SOUND_JUMP, 45262)
            else
                mic.start()
            end
        end
    end

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@piinthesky use the Files app and then drag a shader from Shade into the Codea folder. Then you can assign the shader through craft.material()

I tweeted a demo here

@dave1707 thank you for the report, I'll have to look into what Codea is doing with audio. I think I had the same issue with Shade and managed to fix it.

• @simeon cool! thanks
  • @simeon the workflow with the splitscreen is great.

i tried the brick shader instead of the checker shader on the planet 3d example. it is a bit strange -the brown colour of the brick flickers on and off as the planet is rotated?

Also the mapping of the texture to the Codea icosphere is not as correct as the sphere in Shade. I guess this is the issue previously discussed by loopspace and dave1707.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@piinthesky I think we tried the same shader. When I rotated the planet, I saw the black zigzag where the image wasn’t covering the sphere correctly. I didn’t notice the flickering, but that might be where 2 colors are occupying the same area and as the planet is rotated, one or the other color shows. I ran into something like that with some other graphic I did.

P.S. I didn’t use the split screen. I just copied the Shade shader and pasted it into the File Codea folder.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@piinthesky @dave1707 It's definitely a bit buggy with shaders. We'll be fixing it all up during the Shade beta.

• @simeon something strange...the grid in the voxel editor example, now seems to ‘fade’ away as a function of distance from the viewer camera? I actually use the grid class in my program and it also now seems to behave differently than before.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@piinthesky Oh it looks like we modified that grid for the Shade preview system and unintentionally affected the Voxel Editor example! Good find. Probably we should parameterise the fade colour and then fix it up in the example projects.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I tried my program above where the sound a mic commands didn’t work together. The current code fixed the problem. The sound and mic commands work OK now.

PS. If mic is running and the project is closed, the mic is stopped when the code is re-started instead of still running. That works OK now.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I tried @Kirl tint program and that looked like it worked OK, but I’ll let him do his testing to see if everything works for him.

• @simeon interesting! with 116 my program acquired a lot of extra tabs that were not present previously! Perhaps they were old tabs that had mysteriously vanished in the past. Do you think the longstanding bug of tabs disappearing in large projects could be fixed?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @piinthesky I completely rewrote the document model to integrate with apps like Working Copy. So now even if you didn’t add a tab via Codea, or Codea somehow lost it but the file still exists, it will load any Lua files in the project. It also only saves changes rather than everything.

Let me know if you lose any data, I really want to get the new system robust.
  • @simeon something funny with scene.ar:paused()
    i now get an error message

failed to load shader- Hidden Materials: Skybox
    stack traceback:
    [c] in method ‘pausé

weird, i notice i have 7 copies of ‘materials’ and 7 copies of ´hidden materials’ in my assets?

skybox is located in materials not hidden materials.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    @piinthesky I thought that bug was fixed! Sorry we’ll make sure we fix that next build

@Simeon - when I loaded 116 up I found I had no Dropbox assets in Assets. Trying to sync from the settings wheel icon had three options unlink, sync and unlink and cancel. I presume I need to use sync and unlink but it sounds like it will disconnect. Unlink was in orange other options in green.

Also, on my iPad Pro (9.7) the project icons seem larger and are crowding up against the settings wheel icon in the top right looks a little too close for me.

The icon for closing the asset window, top right of that window, still doesn’t close the window - but anywhere on the main window does (trivial).

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G what was the last build you were running? There haven't been any significant changes to Dropbox or the project icons in a while.

@Simeon - just followed the evolution installing each version when it was issued. So 108 then 111 then 116. Also did this with iOS.

Note also testing Shade, is there any overlap?

Is there any way of getting history of installations on iPad, would be neat for debugging?
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G you can install an old version ("Previous Builds" in TestFlight app).

Odd though, the project icons shouldn't have changed size between builds. Though you can make them smaller from the Settings pane on the right.

• edited November 2018 Posts: 1,400

@Simeon - just to be precise, iPad pro (9.7) iOS 12.1 and Codea 3.0(116).

The project icons setting is on small.

Another thought, I have updated Dropbox recently so it may be that. Also I have not re-installed examples etc from the Codea systems menu.

I had to install 17 updates for apps on my iPad recently and iOS made me install them again the following day. Sure iOS is creating a lot of problems. Also if a lot of applications are using the iOS file management nowadays. Could that be contributing to losing the Dropbox link. Resyncing dropbox takes me a couple of hours - loadsa files.

Suggestion for website - can we put entries in for iOS version and Codea version that automatically display in the forum thread posts ?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G that's a really good website suggestion, but I have no idea how to pull it off.

I'm thinking we should probably drop explicit Dropbox support once we can reach feature-parity with the standard iOS file system. That way you can still use Dropbox but also any other cloud or local file provider.

@Simeon - just checked against Vanilla forums and there appears to be a profile extender, YouTube link to its use:

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G just tried Profile Extender, the only issue is that the additional information only shows up in your profile.

There is another one we could look at: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/yaga-application which could let us assign badges for particular version of Codea/iOS among other things.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G @John we can probably modify it to show the info elsewhere

@Simeon, @John - thanks for looking at these, if we can see user info when looking at their problems it could speed things up and make the forum slicker. It relies on the users updating with iOS, Codea details and even if it’s only visible from their profile details it would help.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon @Bri_G @John I’m not sure if adding more user info is going to work or not. You’re relying on users updating their info which changes constantly. You’re also not asking what type of device they’re using. And then what about users with multiple devices. You still need to know what device they’re using. We’re not under a time limit as to how fast we have to answer someone’s questions or fix their problems. A lot of time I’ll ask a user what version or device they’re using and I might get a response a few days later. How fast they want their problem answered depends on how fast they respond to us or how much info they include with their post. Odds are I probably wouldn’t update my info each time something changed.

@Simeon @John @dave1707 - having read dave1707 not I think this idea could go on the shelf until Codea development problems are resolved. It’s a nice to have.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon (ver 118) supportedOrientations is deprecated and now shows the message (though truncated) that it’s not supported. So that message works OK. Went thru a large program double tapping words and selecting reference. That works a lot better then in the past. Ran into a few problems. If I selected fill as in fill(r,g,b,a), I got taken to Voxels.fill. If I selected line as in line(x1,y1,x2,y2) I got taken to Voxels.line. Would it be possible in cases like that, that both “line” and “Voxels.line” shows and the user could select which one they want info on to be shown. Not sure how much trouble that would be.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I like your idea, the system needs a bit of an overhaul (e.g., it shouldn't even show "Reference" as an option if there is nothing to show for the selected term).

I think I'll have to defer fixing the lookup bug (fill -> voxels.fill) until after 2.6.1.

• @Simeon , @John ar.pause() does not cause an error message anymore. No longer see the hidden materials and only one copy of materials in assets-that’s all good!

There is a problem with ar.run() after an ar.pause(), it does not work properly.

By the way, the documentation on which 3d models can be loaded needs to be updated-more models formats than .obj can be handled now.