Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 2.6.2 (127)

dave1707dave1707 Mod
edited December 2018 in Beta Posts: 7,923

@Simeon All of my projects that began with a . (period) are gone. I assume that’s because of the changes for Files. I used the . so those projects would be sorted at the beginning of my project list. I can either revert to a previous version and rename those projects or rename them on my other iPad and send them over.

PS. I reverted to a previous version and renamed the projects and reloaded ver 122. Is there code that prevents an invalid project name from being entered when a new project is created.

Comments

I cant see any of my projects inside the files app. Or did I misunderstood this one?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod
    edited December 2018 Posts: 7,923

@Simeon When you select Duplicate to copy a project, you don’t fill in the name like you did in previous releases. That means you can’t use the backspace key or move the cursor to alter the name. It was better when you filled in the name.

PS. Duplicate doesn’t work. When you key in a new name, the copied project is just like when a new project is created.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@se24vad They should show up there. All of mine do.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon The project sort order for Codea doesn’t match the project sort order for Files. A project named _qq show as the first project in Files, but shows after projects beginning with numbers in Codea. I’m trying to find something so certain projects always show at the beginning of the sort order.

PS. The # works. The projects show at the beginning of the list in both Files and Codea.

@dave1707 do I look up the wrong directory? I'm looking inside of root iCloud Drive for "Codea" or something. Shade is there but nothing else. I've attached a screeny.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@se24vad In Settings, when you select Codea, how do you have Document Storage checked. On mine I have On My Ipad checked. Don’t know if that matters.

• @se24vad perhaps they are in: On my ipad/Codea

@Simeon - aaaargh chaos, a lot of my recent files won’t run. They mostly use a viewer object and throw out an error relating to touches. The Craft demo cameras doen’t Work. Trying to delve into the cause now.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 file names beginning with period are generally hidden by convention, I didn't realise this was being used for sorting. What you can do is create a new folder in the Files.app under On My iPad -> Codea and Codea should put those projects into their own collection.

Thanks for the report on duplicate project — will pre-fill the name and fix.

@se24vad no iCloud Drive support (yet). Your files should be in On My iPad -> Codea.

@Bri_G is it possible the dependencies became unticked? Can you share a project with me that is affected by this?

Thanks everyone for testing this release. It's a major overhaul of how Codea interacts with the filesystem so that projects and directories can be moved around without needing to restart Codea each time. I'd like to get this right and then apply the same system to how assets are managed. Then eventually we can support iCloud Drive and external document providers.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 this update also changes the project persistence API (listProjects, createProject, etc). I know that you tend to use these, so please let me know if you find any problems with them.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon That’s what I’m looking into right now. I tried my search project and it wasn’t working. Im trying to figure out what’s not working with them.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon readProjectTab isn’t working. It works when reading my projects, but doesn’t work on the Example or Craft projects. Apparently it needs to know that it’s an Example or Craft project but I can’t figure out how. For example, I was using readProjectTab(LIghts:Main) but now I think it needs “Craft:Lights:Main” so the first Craft tells it that it’s in the Craft file. I assume the other functions will work the same way, they need to know the file it’s in.

PS. As for the period I used for sorting, I can use the # and it works in Files and Codea to keep those projects first.

@Simeon - the dependencies were all ticked. An example has been provided by @dave1707 in his Create example Spheres a recent demo. I have attached the printout of the error from that for you to check. I’m on iOS 12 and 2.6.1(122) iPad Pro 2017.

• edited December 2018 Posts: 1,400

@Simeon - I believe the problem involves the cameras demo used as a dependency. @dave1707 posted a model demo in starter game 22 (the last code listing) which uses the camera() function without the cameras dependency for the viewers. In fact setting the cameras dependency on with that demo has no effect, understandable since there is no call to the routine within cameras.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Bri_G @Simeon I ran my spheres example and I got the error. What I did to fix it was to make sure Craft, Cameras, and Touches was checked. I checked the Cameras example and Touches is checked there so I don’t know why it has to be checked again in my code.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 so you had to un-check them and re-check them?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Looks like the broken projects are down to how dependencies are tracked. We used to just put the project name in the dependency list (e.g., "Touches") but now it needs to be fully qualified (i.e., "Craft:Touches")

I'm going to write some migration code that validates all project dependencies when you open a project.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I didn’t have to uncheck and recheck them. In my program I had to check Touches. I already had Craft and Cameras checked there. But when I looked in Cameras, Touches was checked there. So I was confused as to why I had to check Touches in my program if it was already checked in Cameras.

PS. When I checked Touches in my program, it wasn’t fully qualified. If I unchecked it, I goy the error that @Bri_G shows. If I check it again, the program runs. So maybe the dependencies aren’t being recognized like they used to be.

• @Simeon in the AR Faces example, you should probably print a message that the hardware doesn’t support it, if they don’t have the latest ipads. At the moment it just displays ‘ar paused’.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I had to check Touches in everyone of my craft projects that used OrbitViewer. Also on some of them I had to uncheck Cameras and recheck it for the program to work. Not sure why only a few needed to have Cameras unchecked then checked again.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@piinthesky thanks for that, will change it

@dave1707 I'll try to have the dependencies fixed shortly

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon I didn’t mean you had to fix the dependency problem ASAP. I went thru all of those projects just to verify that checking Touches would fix them. I just hope you can come up with a fix for the listProjectTabs and other commands like it.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 I have fixed them now. Hopefully dependencies will all just work next build. The new behaviour for read/save/listProjectTabs will be to look in the current collection if none is specified, otherwise you can use a fully qualified name to get an exact project.

E.g., if you have the following folders

Documents (default)
        My Project
        Foo

Other Projects
        Another Project
        Foo

If in My Project you do readProjectTab("Foo:Main") it will give you the Main tab from Foo inside the Documents folder. If you do readProjectTab("Other Projects:Foo:Main") you'll get the Foo from the Other Projects folder.

Similarly if in Another Project you do readProjectTab("Foo:Main") it will give you the Main tab from Foo inside the Other Projects folder.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Build 124 is out with the following changes

• Dependent projects should be fixed up
    • Dependent project dependencies should have the same fixups applied
    • read/save/listProjectTab APIs updated to support fully qualified names
    • If a name is not fully qualified, Codea will assume you are referring to a project within the same collection (e.g., Documents, Examples, Craft)
    • Same logic applies to read/save/listProject
    • AR Face example should correctly display tracking status on unsupported devices

@Simeon - thank you, the world is back in order.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G great thanks for the confirmation that it's working OK. Might send this one through app review so everyone else can get 2.6.2.

@Simeon - just found a funny one. When using fileapp after starting up, in the Codea app folder, only found 38 files (including folders). Later on, after using Codea, found 248 files/folders.

Also content folders did not display the file type in listing, asset folders did. So far looks like everything is there just not displayed.

Other feature, on the project files page in Codea, I have about 12 content directories. After the upgrade all the one the precede C alphabetically are not displayed and the project files that used to be there are in the general project list.

This is not a problem, I assume most users don’t use the .content folders to organise their files. Have you planned anything for this in the move to adopt the system filing system?

Xtra: just found another funny - the content folders listed on the Codea project page seem to be in random order and don’t respond to the recent versus alphabetic system settings.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G the Files app does not refresh properly. The only way I've found to force it to refresh is to go into a different app's folder then back into the Codea folder.

You shouldn't need to use .collection folders any more, you can just use named folders to sort your files (i.e., no .collection extension).

Yeah the content folders are not properly sorted at the moment, I've got that on my list of things to fix. I'd like to allow custom sorting for them soon.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Latest build (127) fixes the Duplicate Project functionality

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon ver(127) Project duplication works OK and filling in the name is OK also. Will try the list project functions as I get time.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon The read/save/list project functions seem to be working OK. The dependencies look OK also. I was able to just check Craft and Cameras as dependencies and not have to check Touches. The AR Face project displays Face Tracking Not Supported on older devices. Had to reload the examples to get the latest version.

@Simeon - thanks for the update sorting the content folders is low priority. Is there a need to alert Apple to the filesapp limitation?

@Simeon - in your drive to introduce the formal file addressing is there any chance that you could grant access to the photos app resources on the iPad? It could save duplication of resource storage. You can write to it so why not read from it?

Errr - I can’t see readImage() from Photos in the Codea documentation so I am assuming we don’t have that access.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon or anyone. What’s required to use the AR Face example. Apparently my iPad Pro isn’t new enough.

PS. I found it. The newer iPads have Face recognition.

@dave1707 - I think it’s for the new iPad Pro 2018 which has depth capability in the camera. Our Pros are old hat, ahhhhhh!!!

@Someon - just set up a new folder on Dropbox and can see the files there. Have synced it from within Codea, closed and restarted Codea. But - I can’t load any of the files. Does the sync call require anything new in the new filing system approach?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G I am able to draw a sprite after syncing my dropbox by using sprite("Dropbox:SpriteName",...) what happens for you?

@dave1707 @piinthesky @Simeon thank you, I found it. Now the Working Copy app works perfectly fine :)) When I'm having more time next week, I'll will test out the other new features of Codea

@Simeon - thanks for the reply, got your name right this time.

I have lotsa files in my Dropbox, normally after installation of a beta I have to resync - which takes ages (over 250 files in folders and sub folders). The sync with 127 was much shorter and only covered 75 files. Even so many of the apps returned to normal with 127.

My problem arose when I set up a project to entertain my 14 month old granddaughter. I wanted to have several pages with buttons on, icons and linked sounds. She loves pressing buttons and getting a response. So I downloaded a few free emoji images and set them up in a new Emoji folder in the Codea Dropbox root. Resynced and started Codea.

Tried to load a sprite with readImage("Dropbox:Emojis/ThumbsUp") and it doesn't load the sprite and errors.

The images in there are jpg or png. I tried appending the filetype and ("Dropbox:Apps/Codea/Emojis/ThumbsUp") with no joy.

I thought the existing files may have survived the installation to explain them running. I suspected the new sync not following the old sync procedure and falling down on new project data on Dropbox. I also wondered about file types and the true path with the new filing approach.

Sorry about the length/detail here.
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G odd! The syntax Dropbox:Emojis/ThumbsUp works OK for me. I wonder if your Codea Dropbox folder has not synced correctly.

You can check that the files are in there by navigating to On My iPad -> Codea -> Dropbox.assets in the Files app and checking that the files are all there.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon Found a problem with saveProjectTab.

If I try saveProjectTab(“projName:Main”,str) I get an error message saying

Main:5: 'Main' tab can not be deleted
    stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'saveProjectTab'
        Main:5: in function 'setup'

That stops my backup/restore program from working. The earlier versions allowed Main to be overwritten. Also, I tried the restore of the projects zip file and Codea crashed. Don’t know if you’ve been working on that yet.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 that's a bug in saveProjectTab. I'll let this version of Codea get through review and then fix it in the next beta.

@Simeon - my apologies, ran through the whole process again checked everything. This time I noticed that the filetype png was in upper case. When I renamed the file and changed it to lower case in the filetype it ran OK.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G oh that sounds like a bug in Codea if it's not finding a png file with an upper case extension. I'll add it to the list

@Simeon - don't know if it's convention but I got the idea that most file types are lower case. I'm sure I have met this problem before with obj and mtl files. If it is convention it's not a bug, just something to be aware of.

@Simeon - weird bug, but trivial; when closing the editing window the window closes to be replaced by the project icon, the closure is occasionally a bit slow. In all cases it is vertically elongated (portrait mode) and horizontally (landscape mode), but in some cases the transition seems a little exaggerated. Is this a design feature

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G I've sped it up for the next release, you're right that it's a bit slow.

@Simeon - thanks, question - do you ever sleep !!!!?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G sometimes! I have three young kids so not as much as I'd like

Wooahh!!! Set icon instant on closing project, no more reboot!!! Excellent - thank you.