Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie Questions

edited May 2012 in Suggestions Posts: 115

I have fallen back in joy with coding after a long absence thanks to Codea. Thanks for making this possible.

If these questions/requests have already been addressed then I apologize. A point in the right direction would be very nice.

How do you actually pronounce Codea? "Code-A", "Code-ee-a", "Co-jha", etc. As a loner I have read a lot of terms over the years and came up with my own pronunciation since I don't hear people actually pronouncing the terms.

How do you add descriptions to new projects that are created on the main screen of Codea?

I am copying and pasting snippets of code into Codea to get a grip on the language. Thanks to all who have contributed. Some examples are posted on a personal website as a .codea file and sometimes they translate to text files for copying/pasting and sometimes they come up as RTFM or some such text (OK, RTFD whatever that is). What is the best way to convert these files so as to bring them into Codea to see how others have slogged through it all to get to a point that can possibly used for future projects? I have tried Bortel's decodea site but to no avail (thank you Bortels for uploading this site and for all of the progress to this program you have contributed ).

Would it be possible to copy/paste from the keyboard Codea Reference (Help) key/tab of examples instead of typing out code when learning. As we all know copy/paste is our friend.

Is there a way to create custom default settings (as in personal code) when creating a new project along with creating new classes within a project?

The initial screen of Codea looks very nice but after creating many example projects for learning, the length of available user projects can get very long in the tooth to scroll through. I know this is an iOS device app using Apple's way of usage but personally I think it would be useful to have a factory example project directory as well as a user project directory (coming from Windows) to make it easier to find the projects that you are looking for.

I have a text editor (TextPad, from years gone past but still works on modern Windows OS) that allows users to create user defined functions, classes, etc. by clicking on titles and pasting into the editor for quick access to the particular needs of the programmer. Something similar within the Codea editing keyboard would be very nifty at least to me.

Perhaps I am blind but I cannot see a way to move up/down a line of code using the Codea editing keyboard without attempting to touch the exact line. A "home" and "end" key would be very helpful as well if not already implemented. A "find/replace" function on the editing keyboard would be a big plus unless not already there.

I am sure that I will have many more questions/requests. I understand the usual procedure of searching before posting and I will do so. I have read that the WIKI needs/will be updated to answer many of the questions I have proposed above.

Please do not take this as a negative response but only to help the progress this very impressive app. I really like what I have seen so far.

As mentioned earlier, I may have missed the aforementioned requests and would surely appreciate a nod in the right direction. It appears that the developers and the majority of users are of one accord and that is to further enhance our experience in creating apps that may or may not be a positive influence to other iPad users.

I would like to thank the developers and everyone who have posted helpful information (especially those who have posted code as examples).

Cheers,

Keebo

Comments

Hi @Keebo, a tip on moving up or down lines In the text editor: press either or the sideways moving buttons and swipe up or down. :)

• BortelsBortels Mod
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,557

I call it "Coh-dee-uh".

saveProjectInfo("Description", "The description of your game"). (You can also set "Author")

My decode site should work - is it broken? I'll go look. I dream apple will see the light and re-allow .codea files, they're so much easier than the cut-and-paste-dance. (Update: it's working for me, what problem are you having with it? PS. Wow, cargo bot has a lot of class files...)

Cursor up and down are tricky - swipe up or down on the cursor left and right keys. (I'd like a "select the entire line you're on" key, or button for cut/paste)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
    edited May 2012 Posts: 5,054

Thanks for all the feedback, @Keebo! @Bortels has addressed a few of your questions, I have answered some more below.

--

• How do you actually pronounce Codea?

You can say it "Co - dee - ah" or "Co - day - ah" (I prefer the latter, but the former sounds more like "Idea," which is where the name came from.)

• Would it be possible to copy/paste from the keyboard Codea Reference (Help) key/tab of examples instead of typing out code when learning.

This isn't possible at the moment. I am thinking about re-writing the help code so it doesn't use a web-based solution. I dislike web based solutions as they always feel slower than native UI code.

• Is there a way to create custom default settings (as in personal code) when creating a new project along with creating new classes within a project?

You could create a "template" project and then duplicate it whenever you wish to make a project that is based on that template.

• The initial screen of Codea looks very nice but after creating many example projects for learning, the length of available user projects can get very long in the tooth to scroll through.

I know the feeling. This is addressed in version 1.4, which will be released as soon as Apple approves it.

• Perhaps I am blind but I cannot see a way to move up/down a line of code

This is a bit hidden, you can swipe up and down on the left/right keys. I have a much better implementation for this in progress. Also, find/replace is definitely on the list of things to add.

• BortelsBortels Mod

re. the help - Please, something I can see with a regular browser. Even when using Codea, I tend to be near a desktop to use as reference for things. Being able to bring up the help for, say, mesh(), and having it all there in front of me as I worked would be handy.

Also - some way to search the help. Where is vec3() - math, or graphics? (it's math, but that wasn't my first guess)

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

I'll have to come up with a data model — I'm thinking Markdown that is convertible to both HTML and an internal native format that we can render with UIKit.

Thank you for responding so quick.

@Fred, the "-<" and "->" buttons are what I perceive as sideways buttons but they are not working for me as expected. Any further instructions would be greatly appreciated .

@Bortels, Coh-dee-uh" is what first entered my mind and thanks for the reassurance whether right or wrong :-) .

As a newbie, I don't quite understand "saveProjectInfo("Description", "The description of your game"). (You can also set "Author"). Please elaborate when you get a chance. Thanks for that.

Cargo_Bot is a great thinking app and I thoroughly enjoy it but your website displays "RTFD" in my default text editor when I try to download it. I am sure it something on my end that I will overcome.

As far as pronunciation, Simeon, you would be the man. The latter is how I first pronounced it in my own mind. But I have heard various interpretations of common terms with the few computer savy people that I have personal ties to (not that they are correct).

There must be a restricted limit of the amount of characters within a singular post in this forum as I have obviously exceeedeed the limit in the last post.

Thanks again for the tips and hopefully Apple will allow for your new additions.

@Keebo, those sideways buttons are on the top right of the keyboard in Codea, to the left of the play button. They should move the cursor, once you have tapped to put it on the screen, to the left or the right. If you press one, hold it and move your finger up or down it will move the cursor one line. Is that what happens when you use them?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Here's an example of saveProjectInfo

function setup()
        saveProjectInfo( "Description", "This is a description of my project" )
        saveProjectInfo( "Author", "This is me" )
    end

When your program runs it will update the metadata for your project file, which will be reflected in the project browser.

(Below is off topic)

On a slightly related note, I've just realised you can use this to incorporate dynamic data into your description, e.g.

function setup()
        runCount = readProjectData( "RunCount", 1 )

saveProjectInfo( "Description", "This project has been run " .. runCount .. " times." )

saveProjectData( "RunCount", runCount + 1 )
    end

• edited May 2012 Posts: 384

Oooo @Simeon, we could use that to describe when the project was last run/saved... Could save us some confusion with multiple versions...

Edit: it works...

saveProjectInfo( "Description", "This project was last run on " .. os.date() .. "." )

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Nice! Forgot about os.date(), that makes more sense to use.

I use the two finger swipe (left to go a line down, right to go a line up).

Wow. I never even thought to use dynamic data in something like that...

Thanks for the info and everyone's reply.

@Fred,
    "If you press one, hold it and move your finger up or down it will move the cursor one line. Is that what happens when you use them?"

It took me a while to figure out the proper amount of flick gesture but it is working. Thanks.