Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shade - Pro Shader Editing on your iOS Device - Now Available

JohnJohn Admin Mod
in Shaders Posts: 564

Shade is our latest app - a powerful node-based shader editor for iOS.

Shade is tightly integrated into both Codea and Unity. Any shaders you create can be directly used in Codea via drag and drop, sharing or iCloud.

We have been working closely with the Codea community throughout the development of Shade, including a private beta and subsequent public beta. Many of the improvements coming to Codea are from Shade's development. We would like to take this moment to thank everyone in the community for your support, suggestions and feedback.

Get Shade here: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1402522815

More info at: https://shade.to

Comments

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Loaded the above version of Shade. So far so good.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@John One thing I noticed with the above Shade code. Open one of the examples, then wait for the map in the lower left corner to disappear. Place your finger where the map was and move your finger. The map will reappear, but the highlighted square will move in the opposite direction that your finger is moving. If you lift your finger and put it back down, the highlighted square will then move in the same direction as your finger. No big deal, but just odd.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@dave1707 that's because when the map is not there you are dragging the canvas, and dragging the canvas makes the map re-appear, but you are not interacting with the minimap, it is still displaying how the canvas is moving. When you drag on the minimap directly it moves the canvas inversely because you are dragging the viewing region

Shade’s marketing website is very slick. Looking forward to the same for Codea ;)
  • SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@distortum thank you, I want to redo the Codea one now with the same sort of template

• edited March 26 Posts: 1

I cant get the export of shaders to Codea working. When opening the exported shader in Codea it is just an empty file.

How can I get this to work? Anyone else having the same issue?

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@janalex Here’s how I do it.

1. From within the Files app, open the Shade folder.
    2. Long press a shader. When the popup shows, select Copy.
    3. Open the Codea folder.
    4. Open the Dropbox Assets folder.
    5. Long press a blank area. When the popup shows, press Paste.
    6. Run Codea and the Shader should be in the Codea Dropbox folder.

Here’s an example to use. Replace Dropbox:Checkers with your shader.

function setup()
        -- uses a shader from Shade.
        scene = craft.scene()
        skyMaterial=scene.sky.material
        skyMaterial.sky=color(0, 62, 255, 255)
        skyMaterial.horizon=color(99, 255, 0, 255)
        v=scene.camera:add(OrbitViewer, vec3(0,0,0), 100, 0, 200)
        v.rx,v.ry=20,20
        createRect1()
    end

function draw()
        update(DeltaTime)
        scene:draw()    
    end

function update(dt)
        scene:update(dt)
    end

function createRect1() 
        local c1=scene:entity()
        c1.position=vec3(0,0,0)
        c1.model = craft.model.cube(vec3(10,10,10))
        c1.material = craft.material("Dropbox:Checkers")    
    end

To be sure, is the only difference between Standard and Pro pricing the ability to also export to Unity? Does the Standard version have everything for use with Codea?

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@brianolive I know I've answered this on twitter but for anyone else interested in this question: Shade Standard works fine with Codea but lacks both zip and Unity export. The zip option is useful for exporting to other devices but isn't necessary if you just want to use it with Codea.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@brianolive also it doesn't matter if you purchase Standard, you can always upgrade to Pro for the price difference later

Thanks @John and @Simeon - I purchased Standard the same day I asked the question. I’ll be getting to work in Shade soon - can’ pull myself away from projects in good ol’ Codea...