Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shade - Pro Shader Editing for iOS

2»

Comments

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

@Bri_G you can set the blend mode of a craft.material to NORMAL, ADDITIVE or MULTIPLY

Give this a try? Not sure if the exported shader from Shade configures this aspect of the material. Otherwise @John will know more

local m = craft.material("Your Hologram")
    m.blendMode = ADDITIVE

@Simeon - tried that out ADDITIVE, NORMAL both had no effect. MULTIPLY made the whole screen darker. Possibly the condition is built into the Shader. Thanks for the heads up.

@Simeon @John - just got a funny from Shade, playing about with a texture asset link onto a texture node when I disconnected I accidentally dragged the linking cord onto the reference window. It stuck there, I could pull the node away and the cord just stretched. Don’t think there was another node under the reference window as not visible on mini map.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G the blend mode should be configured by the material automatically. Can you post some screenshots of what you are seeing?

@Simeon - I closed the shader down and when I reloaded it the issue wasn't there. 'll try to duplicate and post what I find.

@John - you’ll probably get a lot of these from me as I tend to connect everything to everything, at the moment, to see what happens. See the attached photo from my latest error - probably down to my lack of understanding.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G I think that's caused by adding two texture objects together. It shouldn't really be a allowed by the editor but in general it makes no sense to ever do something like that.

I think there is probably thousands of ways to build invalid shaders, a lot of those are due to bugs and some are just illogical constructs that cannot compile.

@John - thanks you hit the mark with illogical I've just been playing round to see what connections are possible and the effects of them. Seem to remember some distortion adding texture to texture - is there an unintended merging effect?

Think I've asked before but what's the best way to read a 2D height map?
    @John - another quick question, when alerted to an error, in the output window, it prompts to tap the alert to get details. In doing that you seem to get a listing in the references window. Is this Codea compatible shader code?
  • @John i am bugging you again-sorry! Just wondering if you had time to think any more about the disintegration shader with craft, we discussed earlier on this thread.

• AnatolyAnatoly Mod

Honestly, this is great. UI - best, speed - best. Two Lives Left, prove me you're earthlings! This is the best software design I have ever seen. All needs fulfilled. Great job, @Simeon @John!! (Why have I missed this topic?)

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@piinthesky I'll see if I can dig up the graph and model I originally used.

The shader interface reminds me of my DAWs plugin and midi routing interface, I feel so at home.

• edited May 4 Posts: 534

@Simeon I am able to crash Shade if i touch the display window while the shader is setting up. The easiest shader example to demonstrate this is 'forest floor' as it takes a while to get going.

@Simeon @John - forest floor still crashed Shade before it displays.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Simeon On my iPad Air 1 with 16GB memory, a lot of the examples crash Shade. One of them even crashed the iPad, but I don’t remember which one it was. I deleted Shade and reloaded it, but a lot of the examples still crash the iPad. All of the examples show a default image and they have a date of Dec 31, 1969 at 7:00 PM. Shade is set for On My Ipad. I even tried to reload the examples but that didn’t help the date/time. I guess 16GB isn’t enough to run Shade. Not having any problems on my iPad Air 3 with 64GB memory.

@Bri_G I’m not having any problems loading Forest Floor. It takes about 6 seconds to fully load on an iPad Air 3 with 64GB memory.

• edited May 4 Posts: 1,724

@dave1707 - this is weird, Shade seems to run all demos on my iPad but crashed in the last version of Shade and the latest version when loading Forest Floor.

@John - just repeated and sent you a feedback note from the crash error. Just a thought, @Simeon mentioned that you built Shade within Codea. Is there any chance that it is still dependent upon Codea - including memory allocation - as I have a lot of files and data held within Codea. Just wondered if that could cause an issue as I don’t know how memory for iPad applications is allocated and if the ceiling automatically increases to accommodate requirements.

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Bri_G. While Shade is built on Codea it is still a separate app. It doesn't matter if you have Codea or if you have a lot of projects/data in there.

The crashes are almost 100% certainly due to Shade requesting too much memory and iOS decides to kill it. Most of the memory usage is tied to textures, which for a shader with hundreds of nodes, can definitely strain older devices to the breaking point.

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing ahead of time how much memory we are allowed to use due to the way iOS works. There are a few low level optimisations I can work on to cut memory usage in half for textures. Hopefully that will fix these types of crashes for lower memory devices. Just a side note as well, the amount of storage available is not actually how much memory the device has. This is a separate spec (ram) which varies depending on the generation of the device.

Hi Shade team,

I would like to say that this app is absolutely the slickest and intuitive stand alone application yet, I come from a background in the gaming industry and have used numerous game engines and their shader systems. Really loving this right now.

@John I'm in the process of rebuilding my shader library inside Shade as a sort of exercise to see if shade is capable of everything :) , One thing i seem to cant find is a Comparison Node, need some basic Less Than , Equal to etc type nodes, unless im missing something

Overall amazing application, cant wait for the next update

-M

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Moferad

Thanks for the feedback!

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
    http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/If

or

https://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Compare_(AGreaterB)

I can add this to Shade in the next update (was planning to add eventually anyway).

• edited May 5 Posts: 7

@John yes exactly! , Amplify has "Compare" Nodes that is essentially the "If" node stripped down to the individual expressions , It really depends on how intuitive and clearly the UI displays to the user what the node is doing , some people prefer the if node layout (with all comparison options) some prefer the individual nodes for each comparison :)

One other feature that would be awesome is the ability to clamp textures , (wrap , mirror ,clamp etc)

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Moferad

Ok, I’ve created a Compare node that lets you do any logical comparison between two values of the same type. It works with floats and vectors (vectors are compared use component-wise comparison functions.

@John Hell yes! Thank you! Ill continue to keep an eye out for any missing crucial nodes :)

@John does shade have a discord that im able to join? Btw this is awesome whens the next milestone date for an update? (no rush just curious :) )

Thank you!

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod
  • JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Moferad The compare node is now live on the app store version of Shade btw

• edited May 7 Posts: 7

@John Hell yes! thank you John! aww looks like the invite expired

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@John that one worked thank you,

A few other additions of nodes I could recommend, "Sun Direction and Ambient Color" , sometimes its easier to just use the sun direction used in the environment preview settings when testing some custom lighting shaders

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@Moferad Yeah that's a good idea. It will be added as a more generic lighting input in the Surface node. Most likely like this: https://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Manual#Custom_Lighting_Model

@John yes excellent!!

Hi! I’d like to second what @Moferad has requested with the texture wrapping options. Having issues trying to get my textures to reliably stop repeating in cases where I’m using textures as masks. Is there a way that I can apply some texture wrapping params? Awesome software!!

• JohnJohn Admin Mod

@sethhall Here’s a workaround for the time being with regards to clamping. It’s a bit messy but gets the job done: