Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Desktop Equivilant

edited November 2011 in Questions Posts: 3

What would be a good desktop equivilant? I've been scowering the Internet for a while now trying to find a Lua editor/executer, but to no avail.

Also, I'm new to Lua, this app is the first I've heard of it. I think it's great what you've got going here.

Comments

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Processing.org is the closest example, but you've probably come across that. And it's Java.

LÖVE (love2d.org) is a Lua graphics framework that I am quite fond of. It's not the same model as Codea or Processing, but it's Lua and has quite a nice API.

• Love is just what I was looking for, thanks!

Also, just curious, but why doesn't the Bit Invader demo run outside of Codea?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

I'm unsure what you mean, it uses the Codea graphics and sound APIs. So would need to be ported if it were to be run on some other system.

• Oh yeah… As you can probably tell, I'm not a very experienced programmer.

• What about Corona SDK?

@indievisio
    Corona's subscription model is too pricey for some. I joined over a year ago, paid my 350+ $, regretted it (too buggy at the time), didn't renew, and hopped on to engines cocos2D and pixelwave.org. No regrets except for lack of on-board prototyping solution. Enter... Codea.

Note: but now, after a few days of testing, wish there was an OSX version of Codify so that I could do quick prototypes on an MBP, and then later tweak on-board.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Take a look at LoveCodify/ea, stickied at the top of the forum. It's a great idea for getting Codea <-> Desktop compatibility.

Yes I am trying now, on OSX, and love keeps complaining about missing loveCodify.lua file, present nonetheless at the same level as Love.app and inside one of the sample folders.

Okay got it to work by not using Drag&Drop between project folder and love.app icon, but rather by invoking love from Terminal.