Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codea 1.5.2 Suggestions

edited February 2013 in Suggestions Posts: 130

New Codea is incredible and I can only say a big THANK YOU to Simeon and Codea team.

I've some suggestions for the next update:

Dark Theme

Dark Theme is incomplete, Codea needs some changes:

1. Dark Theme Search Your Code should be in black.

Now it looks like this:
It should look like this:
2. Dark Theme Shader Packs should be in black.

Now it looks like this:
3. Color Chooser It is currently only available in the toolbar. I've an idea, I want to be able to call the color chooser inside the game in FullScreen.

3. Project Browser Art needs something extra. Guess what? Possibility to choose an image as the background from Sprite Packs.

Romanian language

1. Ribbons for new examples are labeled in English.
2. Into search list examples is a word in English. Word by.
3. Problems with Romanian characters in the save image dialog.
4. Credits page should be fully translated into local language.

5. Examples description should be translated into local language.

6. Optionally, Comments from default template main.lua and NewClass should be translated into local language.

P.S. I'm looking forward to read a reply,
but especially from Codea team or Simeon.

Comments

I see what you mean about the dark editor but I use the light one anyway, as for the translation, only a Romanian will translate it to the right standard, if you get someone else to do it I think there will still be problems

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

Hi @Georgian

• I have updated 1.5.1 to use darker colours in the search and function browser. Good suggestion! (Images below)
    • Shader Lab will have to be updated later
    • Using a sprite for a background is an interesting idea. Not sure how much priority we would put on it though.
    • I'll try to have the clipping issue fixed on the save dialogue for 1.5.1
    • Other translations (New / Credits / Example projects) are something I would like to do soon. Not sure if in 1.5.2 or later.

Functions Dark
    Search Dark

• .@Simeon this might be a minor nuisance, but it's a nuisance nonetheless - When creating a new project, you MUST tap on the screen to display the cursor to type the project name. Why isn't the cursor visible as soon as you tap 'Add New Project'?

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

.@the_dude good point. Will fix for 1.5.2.

• Thanks @Simeon. You guys are amazing!

• I'd really like to see the code entry point in the code window kick up above the keyboard, even when it's near the bottom of the screen. Writing this post is driving me nuts because I can't see what I'm typing. How do you guys deal with this?!?

• please add these keys to editor popup keyboard (x)=key x

1) (f()) inserts function x() end
    2) (if) inserts if then end
    3) (ifif) inserts if then elseif then end
    4) (ifelse) inserts if then else end
    5) (for in) inserts for k,v in pairs() do end
    6) (for in i) inserts for k,v in ipairs() do end
    7) (for=) inserts for i= , do end

I keep forgetting the ends!
    "\n" before the end's and else's would be nice
    or just allow us to customize the keyboard ourselves

a small thing, maybe: the standard lua interpreter uses = as a synonym for return in the standalone lua interpreter. This would be quite nice for interactively inspecting values in the repl in the output window.

Can you change it so that when you press the search icon the cursor moves to the search box? I can't tell you how many times I've tapped search, then ended up typing the search term into my code.

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

.@Mark good suggestion.

.@gunnar_z I could look at that. I think it prepends "return" on anything you type into the interpreter anyway, in order to get the value out of the chunk after it executes it.

.@CodingOnNapkins we're looking at a more elaborate code snippet system. Our plans are to have things like this and more.

.@Dadsipad123 I will take a look.

I'd like to see a little more summary of the Lua language, quickly available. Currently, you have to leave your project and open the Getting Started option.

I may be polyglot, but that doesn't mean I can shift my brain from Java/JavaScript to Lua on a dime!

It would be nice if the Tween library supported a way to delay the start of animation. I suppose you could use tween.sequence() to do this in some way.

Alternately, include a new API that allows some simple scheduling; I'm putting together one for my little project, but it seems general purpose enough.

Access to built-in Lua code source. I sometimes have questions that aren't documented, and I'd like to see the Lua code for the Tween and class() support, for example.

• Since we're here for suggestions, how about a "undo" that works even after a testing of the code?

Current behaviour is when playing the code and going back to the code, former changes are no more undoable.

Hey, I'm used to working with Git; I'd love the ability to "checkpoint" my code, and then revert to that checkpoint. I could be much braver about making changes if I new I could get back to where I started if it panned out!

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

Now that I can read and write files in the Documents folder (thanks @Jmv38 for examples), a nice update would be a directory command to show what files are in there. Also a delete function to remove any files I'm done with.

Hello @hlship. In the interim, the Lua for Codea's class() function is documented at this page on the Codea Wiki.

Add SQL support!

Possibility to export Lua projects as standalone multiplataform apps.

maybe add tutorials into the reference... (for us beginners) :)

@juliomac - Xcode export is coming in the next version. If you look at the Codea Commits Twitter page, he is working on it as I post this message. We might be getting an in-app browser.

• edited March 2013 Posts: 43

@zoyt - I can't find the Codea commits twitter page...do you have a link?

• Thanks.

Any chance the GPS and compass functionality is coming soon?

@Mark - What is the use of the GPS, out of curiosity...

• edited March 2013 Posts: 130

@Simeon - During the last days I played a lot with Codea. I was excited about the new features and I noticed what was missing.

I've some ideas for Codea 1.5.2 or 1.5.3

• 1. Add Tween Pause and PauseAll Function
    • 2. Add to Shader Lab Swipe Left & Right to move the cursor
    • 3. Add beginShape function like in Processing - I want to make a 2D shape like in the last example from beginShape() Example ( or tell me if there is a similar method in Codea )
    • 4. And an idea for beauty and luxury - Change Codea StartUp Interface, because does not coincide with Codea. For an overview, look at the background image from new project dialog

P.S. @Simeon, I wrote you a message on crowdin with subject: Formatting code in documentation. Please read this message, because I need an answer.

@Georgian - According to Codea Commits, #1 is already done.

@Zoyt, I didn't know. Thank you for news!

@Zoyt, in may case, I've written some work apps where geofencing is the killer functionality. These apps have essentially been waiting in the wings for months, just for the day when I'll be able to say "is this truck within X distance of this location."

That said, I'd also love to put together some location based gaming.

@Mark - Ah... Now that you bring it up, it would be fun to do geotagging stuff with Codea.

I guess GPS would mostly be used when using the runtime on an iPhone?

Probably not a 1.52 timeframe but playing a wave of mp3 or ogg file.

@tinlogy - The Cellular iPad has GPS too, but you are right, most GPS apps would be for iPhone.

I would like to have a comfirmation panel before deleting a project or a shader.
    A keyboard shorcut for paste would be convenient too.

Thanks

Couldnt the paste command show up if you click the select button? keyboard shortcut to switch tabs would be nice, when using bluetooth.

• Jmv38Jmv38 Mod

I want a big electric train, and a red firemen truck with the sound.
    Thanks Santa!

Hmm... I think that Simeon is very busy. He hadn't seen my message.

Or maybe I should create a new topic with title: Codea 1.5.2 Suggestions Part 2

• SimeonSimeon Admin Mod

.@Georgian I'm reading. I just haven't had a chance to reply.

1. Tween pause/pauseAll is in but undocumented. It's not quite ready as it doesn't work with all types of tweens.

2. Good point

3. That's an interesting API. I'm not sure we would do it like that, probably something like mesh:addVertex() instead.

4. I might simplify the startup image

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

. @Simeon Not sure if this is possible or not, but it would be nice if an option of listProjectTabs() could return a table of all projects and tabs. A table would be returned with each entry being "project name:tab name". A program would be able to read all projects and tabs without having to specify any names in advance.

What about just making a listProjects() function? Once you have the project you can get at it's tabs using listProjectTabs()

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

. @toadkick Either one would work for me. I just want an easy way to get at every project and every tab.

@Simeon - I wanna thank you for accepting my ideas.

I thought that it's hard to see so many old topics. I always press on "Mark All Viewed" link. :D

• edited March 2013 Posts: 502

hey @Simeon, is it possible to bring back the old tab functionality (always visible). Or at least like:

When scrolling code (not editing - no keyboard shown up), tabs are blended out. When editing code (keyboard visible) tabs are always visible!
    The thing is, I often switch tabs and test some code. With new Codea I always have to scroll up and down to access the tabs... not good..

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

I'd like a built in backup and restore feature for projects.

Also the ability for Codea to automatically break classes into tabs when code is pasted in from other places.

• BriarfoxBriarfox Mod

Would it be possible to add the ability to expand and contract functions? This would make scrolling through code so much easier. Keep up the great work!

I'm with @briarfox. That's a great suggestion.

I'd also love to see auto-complete hints for my custom variables, functions, and properties, just like we have for the built-in functions and constants.

Seconded @briarfox scrolling through a long program to find a particular function can be a bit of pain.

Perhaps if there was a button that would reveal some kind of list of all the functions in the current tab in alphabetical order, clicking the function name would close the list and move to the line of the function.

I don't imagine it would be too difficult to implement?

@bywatt autocomplete would be great too, probably a bit harder.
    @Ignatz another great suggestion for pasting in code auto creation of tabs.

Scratch my suggestion, somehow in using codea for nearly a week I had not used the search function. Which does exactly what I suggested but even more awesome.

Keep up the good work!

A bigger math keypad would be great for iPad mini users.