Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you keeps keep going through with your projects?

edited October 2013 in General Posts: 577

For some reason, all the projects I've been working on, have died on me, At first, I thought they were going to be awesome, but then I make myself believe they are horrible... How do you guys stay with your projects?

Comments

What do you mean? @Prynok

@Luismi For example, I was coding a 2d race game, then after a week and the basics were there, I was like "Eh, they are tons of them are the appstore, why this one?" And I deleted it.

• dave1707dave1707 Mod

@Prynok You have to think your project thru before even starting it. If you think of a game, look on the app store for similar games. If there are a lot of them, either come up with something unique, or skip it. If you do code something and it doesn't turn out like you want, then look at it as coding practice. Don't be quick to delete something, because in your next game you might be able to reuse some code.

• IgnatzIgnatz Mod

@Prynok - what is happening is quite normal. It takes a lot of different skills to make a game, and it is extremely difficult to make something novel. It's only by experimenting and playing around that you will eventually find yourself somewhere new.

So if you use Codea to learn a variety of skills, and end up with 25 half finished projects, that's fine. You're not a failure as long as each project teaches you something - even if it's that you don't want to build certain types of project!

• edited October 2013 Posts: 1,595

We all start never ending projects that just don't get finished, I find its better to wait until you've thought of something you're motivated to do and just do it and keep on doing it until you come out with a result you like. There'll always be the hard parts and the tedious boring parts but you should always just stick at it, even give it a break and when you think of a good idea come back to it, if there's a base for a game to be made why remove it? Even if you don't use it share it with others so they can learn as well! It all helps towards the one big project you come up with in the end.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 398

Game development is hard - even for Pro's. :-)

Even harder if someone has: a) a never designed a game before or b) have no prior programming experience or c) have little experience of creating game art. etc.. etc..

This coupled with attempting to create a 'pro' looking game, on their own, possibly in their spare time is going to be a tough ask - not impossible, but a big challenge - certainly for beginners. Its no wonder game projects often get abandoned somewhere along the way due to running out of steam.

As @dave1707 pointed out, planning your game with clearly defined set of realistic objectives and scope can keep things on track before you write a line of code - else its very easy to go 'off piste' as 'mission creep' sets in. Then, breaking down game elements into discrete coding/design tasks as a 'to do' list I find often helps - you'll quickly get an overview of all the bits that need doing and cross them off when done. This makes the whole process alot less daunting.

Also, have you thought about collaborating with other people in a similar situation on here? This should at least provide some motivation for everyone involved in your project - solo game design is hard work!

;-)

I haven't completed a single game with a proper start play and end screen. Its usually the end i miss out on. But after looking at my first game and the latest one im working on i can say that a lot has changed. How i make games is like i first do all the small parts like changing between scenes and buttons, and also while doing so i keep in mind the type of UI i want to maintain uniformity throughout the project. Then i do the main game and then go for the homescreen and at the end the way i will add scores and then i look for any minor bugs. Doing it this way always makes me feel that i have done a lot in the project and that i should carry on. And everything i have made yet can be found on the app store or the play store. Cause i know that which such little experience if i make a game its gonna be crappy.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 398

@Prynok and @Saurabh , I wouldn't beat yourselves up too much and it really depends what your motivation is for writing games is in the first place (a hobby? developing general coding skills? demoing your abilities to get hired by a game studio? Make bucket loads of cash? etc..). Whilst publishing to the App-Store appears to be a desirable end game for a number of people on here - as long as you're enjoying it and learning something along the way it can't be too bad a way to pass the time.

Indeed, I've got 2-3 half finished games that I've been tinkering with over the last 12-18 months. I tend to have bursts of activity and often then leave things for a while and then come back to them - more often than not with much improved ways of doing the same thing when I do pick them up again. The effort is never wasted, just improved upon with experience and a bit if time. :-)

Thats awesome @andymac3d I just cannot go back to old games because of two reasons. One i have lost intrest in further progress and two i just cant understand the way in which the game was made. Im trying to make everything from now onwards just using the FSM(finite state macine), i guess thats what its called. Reason being i can come back anytime to continue the game.

I have found that collaboration is a great booster for keeping things moving. I was casting around for ideas, doing bits and pieces and then a colleague of mine came up with an idea, and we are running with it. I'm doing the iPad side of things, he is writing the artificial intelligence modules in C. But we compare progress, bounce ideas around etc., to keep us going...

@Saurabh - I dont think FSM's will necessarily alleviate your problem, but breaking things down in this way will certainly make your code more easier to follow after a a period of inactivity.

I do think that Codeas strength is rapidly prototyping game ideas without getting too bogged down in disciplined coding methods. Unfortunately, this can mean (unless your careful) your code can quickly become a mess and difficult to maintain, especially if you go beyond a dozen or so tabs. One school of thought is to ditch the initial prototype once you've done some sort of proof of concept demo, refactor the code or start from scratch. The latter is hard to stomach, but should at least mean you understand how the mechanics of a game will function and recode it from the ground up. I've tried this on one of my games, and so far (fingers crossed) it seems to work and gives a bit more clarity on what i'm trying to do.

I'd be interested in other thoughts on this, as i'm sure this is a common problem. :-)